“Enyoyed my stay”

Abe's Motel and Fly Shop
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Navajo Dam
Abe's Motel and Fly Shop
tennessee
“Enyoyed my stay”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I recently stayed at Abe's for the first time; although I had been a customer of their store and fly shop on several occasions. I found that the motel fit the bill in a good manner. It's a motel that caters to fishermen, so it's fairly basic. My room had a nice kitchen and it was super clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful. On the fishing side, I really appreciate the time, expertise, and patience of the staff in helping an out-of-towner with the correct flies, rigging, and even fly-tying advice. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a double room; it was only five dollars more than the single. The manager said the doubles we...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We were scheduled to stay for three night's. We checked out after only one. It was a truly miserable experience! The refrigerator and air conditioner didn't work. The room smelled terrible and there were bugs in the shower. My wife refused to be in the shower alone and in fact, took a shower with her shoes on. At 1:30am, the smoke alarm began chirping because the battery was low. It continied until I finally took it off the wall. We slept on top of the bed for an hour or so and awaited the arrival of the staff the next morning so we could get out of there! When we checked out the next morning and told the staff of our experience the night before, they chuckled. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy if this occurred during their vacation. We handed them the broken smoke alarm and left.

Room Tip: Stay at the Super 8 in Bloomfield and drive to the river to fish.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Corrales, New Mexico
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I have been staying at Abe's for over 10 years and the one thing I will share with you is that all you have to do is ask should you need something. The staff is always super friendly and very helpful. Sure you will find that the rooms do need sprucing up; the sheets and towels are not soft and fluffy, the carpet has remnants of use, and the little fridges could use a good defrost but heck, the accommodations are not really what you are there for - right? The San Juan river and the top rated trout fishing is what you are there for. Need a microwave, coffee maker, toaster, cooking utensils...just ask. The only thing you will need to bring is the food. Bottom line is that Abe's is a really good value! You can get a room for two with two beds, kitchen, small fridge and plenty of room for all of your gear for under $80.00 a night.

Room Tip: Bring your own food, coffee, cooking utensils...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank lpet2
New Mexico
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I've been staying at Abe's for a few years and I always enjoy my stay. It's affordable; they leave the light on for late arrivals and let you settle in the morning; and the location can't be beat. It's a little run-down but for a place that caters mostly to flyfishing men, the rooms are clean enough with little flyfishing touches like rod hangers in the rooms; wader hanger outside and fish art. Unfortunately, the attached Pecador Restaurant was closed but the Red Hot food vendor in the parking lot had a good dog and pulled pork sammich. Not many food options in Navajo Dam right now. The climate control worked just how I like it (cold with a soothing background hum) and everything in the room worked perfectly. There was a fridge but no microwave, which was disappointig but I was told they could bring one to the room. David in the fly shop (a sort of angler's concierge) is great and he can sell you some bugs that will work every time! Some darn fool broke the Keurig coffee maker in the store the second day so there was no coffee on the property. Luckily we had camping gear and were able to make do but I hope the schmuck who peeled the foil off the K-cup and hosed the commercial Keurig machine didn't catch any fish on his trip!

Room Tip: I noticed that many rooms appear to have evaporative coolers. I've never stayed at Abe's in...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ricomalo
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 15 January 2013

It's not so much Abe's itself that brings me back for 2 weeks every summer, but Abe's plus its location plus its traditional place in San Juan quality water flyfishing. Location: you are max ten minutes from anyplace on the quality water below Navajo Dam. Accomodations: basic, which is a big draw to people like me, but you get a reasonably clean room, a functioning kitchen (I bring my own microwave), and a small but adequate bathroom. Tradition: Abe Chavez pioneered early flyfishing on the San Juan quality water, and I (and many others I'd like to think) consider Abe's the heart of the San Juan fishing experience (besides the river and fish, of course). After 45 years of flyfishing, Abe's is my only regular fishing destination now.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer, bigger room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Scott E
Arkansas
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This was my first trip to the San Juan River, and I stayed at Abe's. As other reviews note, it is pretty dated. However, the place is clean, and the room had been painted and had fairly new carpet. There is a utensil room, where you can get a microwave, coffee pot, toaster, dishes, knives and forks, etc. Overall, I thought it was very good value, although the refrigerator in my room was pretty noisy. The folks who run the place are very friendly and accommodating. There is also Internet, although it sort of comes and goes. The places in that area are dependent on satellite Internet. Also, cell phone service is very spotty or nonexistent in that area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ark7
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This place has become synonymous with the San Juan River in Navajo Dam. The motel is exactly what you'd expect for a 50 year old establishment. Everything was as clean as possible, but a bit run down. However, for use as a basecamp for fishing the beautiful San Juan River, it is just fine. The fly shop has everything you need and the staff was very knowledgeable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank KDJERO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Navajo Dam
Sky Ute Casino Resort
Sky Ute Casino Resort
#1 of 1 in Ignacio
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Aztec Farmington North
Best Western Plus Territorial Inn & Suites

Been to Abe's Motel and Fly Shop? Share your experiences!