“Our first return visit since the rebuild....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Firstly, the front desk staff are extremely friendly and professional and the place looks great.

Our room (in the "Historic" part of the complex), was nicely decorated, extremely clean and the bed comfortable. The layout of the place is much better with little or no traffic now coming through the halls of the old building now. The new bar and restaurant layout is also MUCH better. They have a good selection of wine and beers in the bar, reasonably priced BUT they don'ts serve their excellent draft beer in pint glasses. I did mention this to Matt in customer service, he was obviously a beer drinker :) !
The Artesian restaurant is a gem.....excellent breakfasts and the dinners are inventive and well prepared. The desserts are very, very good......service was excellent with knowledgeable waitstaff.

The one issue with our trip came when we were relaxing in the area around the large pool.
There are "whisper" signs everywhere and, for the most part, people respected them. HOWEVER, there were several children in and around the pool who were screaming and laughing and I did not see ANY of the staff reproach the "supervising adults".

This is supposed to be a relaxing, restorative venue, not a water park.

We did mention this on the comments card when we left as it spoiled an otherwise wonderful stay.....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil C
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are so pleased to know that you appreciate the many enhancements we have made over the past few years.

We regret that you were disturbed by children enjoying the large swimming pool during your visit. In order to make our facilities family-friendly, we do have a more relaxed "Whisper" policy around the large pool, as this is the only pool that is accessible to small children. We do make every effort, however, to enforce the Whisper policy in our other pools, which are available only to adults. It can be a challenge to balance the needs of our visitors seeking an utterly quiet environment with our more socially-inclined adults and families. We are working on plans that will address this situation and appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Please be assured that we take our guest feedback very seriously and your suggestions will be applied constructively. We look forward to your next visit!

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,272)

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We came to soak in the waters and get away from it all for a couple of days. The property and mineral springs are very nice. We had a Cliffside suite and it was very comfortable in a rustic chic kind of way. The location is physically beautiful and very quiet. Beds are comfy. The patio is small but private. The fireplace kept the room warm. The kitchenette is tiny as is the bathroom.

We had dinner in the restaurant one night and it was surprisingly good. We were a little concerned as it is the only place to eat, but we had an excellent dinner.
The mineral springs are wonderful and as it is only about an hour from Santa Fe, there were many day users.

The main issue is the reservation desk is the same as the front desk for the mineral springs, so it takes forever to get checked in, or get any assistance since they are checking in spa day users too. Apparently it takes everyone behind the front desk to help a single customer. We observed this multiple times over three days. Also, making the reservation was a pain. The website can not handle the packages, so you have to call which is fine except it took many tries to get a person.

Ojo Caliente is a wonderful place, but if we go back I think one night is enough,

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kkhart
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My friend and I just returned from a girls spa getaway weekend at Ojo. It was so amazing, restorative and refreshing. The spa came highly recommended from a magazine article and we booked about six weeks out. While the spa doesn't look like much from the driveway in, it is very special once you get inside. We stayed in a plaza suite and it was comfortable and rustic with a kitchenette and table. The patio out back led to several mineral pools not used by the daily guests who use the facilities. In fact, we used all the mineral pools, including a private kiva pool. I also had an amazing moor mud treatment, which included a hot oil hair/head massage. We ate in the restaurant twice and the food and service there were impeccable. The yoga wasn't strenuous and the music wasn't turned up in the class but it still left me feeling refreshed and I liked the instructor who said he studied yoga in India for five years. My friend and I also took two hikes. The trails weren't well marked but we found our way. Though I loved everything else, I have to agree with the customer service ratings. It needs polishing. For example, when my friend and I were at the Kiva pool, the attendants loudly called out to us on an intercom and said it was time for us to leave -- 10 minutes ahead. It made us jump it was so loud. They could have handled that differently as this is a spa where even in the pools, it says use whisper voices. When we left the private kiva pool, the two young attendants were practically hovering even though it appeared we still had 5 minutes left. But I wouldn't let that detract from an overall amazing experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know of your recent enjoyable experience at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We are so pleased that you were able to sample so many of our offerings.

We apologize for the abrupt ending of your private pool experience. The private pool appointments are for 50 minutes, so that our spa attendants have 10 minutes to prepare the pool for the next incoming guests. You should have been made aware of the 10-minute warning when you checked in for your pool, and our staff has been reminded to brief our guests on this.

Many of our trails are on BLM land, and we are currently working with a local youth organization and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to better mark the hiking and biking trails, and will enhance our trail map accordingly.

Our guest experience is very important to us and we thank you again for your comments and suggestions. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2012

This place is amazing, if you go prepared. There are a few things you need to know in order to make your stay extra amazing.

1. Because of the prices, you may be expecting 5 star Hilton accommodations. The rooms are nice and simple, but the rooms are outside entry and the paths to the rooms are dirt and paving stone. This wasn't a problem at all while we were there. It really added to the relaxation factor. You can litterally go anywhere on the grounds in your robe or dressed to the nines. I have seen other reviews that don't seem satisfied with accommodations, but maybe they were expecting something that it wasn't.

2. Everything costs extra! Know this going in. I suggest taking a case of water for every two days you will be there (based on two guests). You will need it since all the pools are naturally heated The rooms have mini-fridges so take advantage.

3. If you stay in the cliffside suite in the summer, take citranella candles. These rooms have a private bath on the back porch. We used ours a total of ten minutes before the mesquitos attacked. This isn't the resort's fault but it would be nice to have some anti-mesquito items around.

4. No sunblock! Can't wear sunblock into the pools.

5. The food at the Artesian Restaurant may seem pricey, but it's well worth it. The portions are more than enough. I ordered two blue corn Piñon pancakes ($7.00) and I could barely finish half. They were huge! The granola is the best I've ever had. The creme brûlée is indeed, heaven. If you want to save money, take your own snacks and just have one large meal a day and two small meals.

5. The kiva pool is worth the price of a Pueblo or cliffside suite. No kids under 14 and only a few rooms have access. Great deal!

I have seen a few reviews complaining about the customer service. While I am sure some had real issues, I believe that your expectations have a lot to do with how you view the customer service. This is a laid back place, not a wait on you hand and foot place. If you need something, just ask. Don't expect them to read your mind. Upon checking out, I found a restaurant charge that was not ours on our bill. Believe me when I say that no matter how good my stay was, if they didn't handle this issue correctly, I would have given them 1 star. The charge was $85, and that's a lot of money. But, when I pointed this out to Kristal, she GOT IT FIXED! I didn't feel like I was on trial. Kristal was awesome!! I wish we could have caught her on video. Great customer service!!

Ojo Caliente may be an hour into the middle of nowhere, but that's part of the charm. It's worth it!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank pottsdrum
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review of your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We appreciate all your kind compliments and the important information passed on to future guests.

We apologize for the error that was made on your bill and are glad to know that Krystal was able to remedy this to your satisfaction. Your compliments have been passed along to her, as we feel it is very important to share well-deserved praise!

It is always gratifying to hear that our guests enjoyed a true Ojo experience, and we thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 10 June 2012

Went to Ojo for a day visit with friends. Well appointed (but small, and whisper only) pools, nice property, scenery and location was wonderful. But the customer service was a big bummer for us; after having called to confirm our reservations 10 days in advance, staff managed to lose our dinner reservation, and then when we checked in on the day of our visit, didn't have our private pool reservation. Lunch was horribly long, almost well an over an hour for a couple of sandwiches among several empty tables. Was really disappointed with service inside the artesian restaurant, but a much better experience in the wine bar where we ended up having dinner (excellent menu selections, lively chat with bartender!).

Overall just felt it was "okay", definitely wasn't anything that I would go to great lengths for.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank decynr
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. Ojo truly is a unique place and we are pleased to know you enjoyed our facilities. We do regret, however, the difficulties you experienced with your reservations and the less than positive dining experience you had in The Artesian Restaurant. We are happy that you enjoyed dining in our wine bar, and appreciate your kind words about our bartender.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about the confusion regarding your reservations, and ask that you contact me directly at (505) 583-3221 at your convenience.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

Love this place. Just returned from a Saturday night stay with the wife. Came up from Albuquerque for a day trip but decided to put our name on a waiting list for a historic hotel room. We have stayed before and love it. Very simple room, 1/2 a bath and comfy beds, though the first one me and wife laid on broke. The frame just snapped. No big deal, we slept in the other. We ate all of our meals there and always do. We love just parking the car and forgetting about it. Now it is a $169 room but considering we had 2 full spring days, we think of it as a great value. Basically a $49 dollar room. I did step on a piece of glass under one of the hammocks and a little blood dropped. My wife left to get a band aid and next thing I know here comes the manager the fill out an incident report. She was sweet, her staff came over and swept up the glass and all was well. I did make sure my sandals we on the rest of the time and we fished the last piece out when we got home!

Room Tip: stay in the historic hotel. You are there to relax and its a great value and very peaceful.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

We are so pleased to hear of your enjoyable experience here at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We sincerely value our loyal and returning patrons! Your enthusiam for Ojo helps to make it a memorable experience for you, as well as for other guests around you.

We are sorry to hear of your accident; it sounds like it was handled expeditiously and appropriately. We have a strong "No Glass" policy in the springs area and regret that someone was careless. When these issues are brought to our attention, we make every effort to remove debris immediately. We regret too the issue you experienced with the bed in your room, and hope this was brought to the attention of our Front Desk staff immediately.

I would be happy to speak with you about the accident report, and to obtain additional information regarding the bed. Please feel free to call me directly at (505) 583-3211. We hope you will continue to visit Ojo regularly, and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

I almost hate to give Ojo an average rating, but when all things are weighed, it really is just average. The location is gorgeous and the pools are pretty cool, the highlight was a man playing the most amazing flute that floated thru the entire area. The customer service is non existent. The front desk, the first people you see, look miserable and not at all happy to see you, or anyone, I watched others check in. I think it worth the trip to soak and sit and relax and meditate, its truly a great spot. Don't go for friendliness or a smile, you won't get one. Just kind of puts a little damper on the experience, minor, but still noticeable--almost like the staff is entitled or just plain bored out of their minds. Just a helpful tip Ojo, get some folks who like to work there, you can feel it as a guest.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Erin B
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent experience at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We appreciate your compliments about our pools, grounds, and ambience. We are very sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory customer service experience. It is our goal to provide all of our guests with the highest level of service and gracious and accommodating hospitality. We regret that this was not the case during your visit. We have recently established a very robust on-going customer service and hospitality training program.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about your experience, and ask that you contact me directly at (505) 583-3221. I look forward to speaking with you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojo Caliente
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Abiquiu Inn
Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Inn at the Delta
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Hotel Luna Mystica
Hotel Luna Mystica
#5 of 15 in Taos
Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!