“Serenity found here”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Annapolis, Maryland
“Serenity found here”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The beautiful setting adds to the experience. Our weekday visit was ideal as it was not too crowded. We started our visit with a recommended hike to see the Posi Pueblo ruins, which were loaded with pottery shards and a great view. After getting some fresh air and a little exercise, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in the different mineral pools for about 3 hours. We had a hard time deciding which we liked best. Staff were visible with signs throughout our visit reminding guests to whisper. With a gorgeous sunset in the background, we dried off sitting by the poolside kiva fireplace. Most enjoyable.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was my third stop at the hot springs and my first stay in the historic hotel. It is worth the cost to stay overnight if you can, as it is wonderful to soak in the springs during quiet times in the morning and evening after day visitors have left. My corner room was simply furnished with just a powder room (showers required a short walk to the bathhouse) but comfortable. From time to time I could hear people talking in the hall or outside. If you are looking for something more luxurious, spring for a room in one of the newer cliffside or pueblo suites. Staff throughout the facility were friendly and helpful, and I felt comfortable as a solo traveler. I stayed onsite for two days, enjoying soaks in the springs, hikes along the mesa, and meals in the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I haven't stayed overnight, but I was in Taos for the summer and went to Ojo four or five times. Went with friends, sent my parents there, and even went by myself. This place is amazing. Five hot tubs, one big pool, and several private pools you can rent by the hour. This was my first stop when I landed in Taos and it was the first stop with visitors. We all agreed this was the most relaxed we've felt in years.

Having gone so many times, I did notice some of the same downsides as the other reviewers. The massage quality isn't consistent, but when you get a good masseuse, it is awesome. An older woman gave me my first massage at Ojo and it was fantastic, up there with my best massage ever. The second, err, not so much. My friend and I both got massages, but it was more like a "body rubbing." A lot of forearm rubbing across your back, not a lot of kneading. My mom got a deep tissue massage and didn't love it. So, 1 out of 4 for the massages. I didn't have any issues with service quality, but I am from the east coast, so everyone west of the Mississippi seems like the nicest person I've ever met.

I'm still giving this place five stars though. It's too unique - beautiful grounds and scenery, great tubs, and accessible. Yes, when other folks don't respect other soakers and it gets loud, it detracts from the experience. But I love that they open this place up to anyone and the price isn't so high that only the rich can go. When it gets loud, let the staff know (they are super helpful), and hide out in the steam room in the meantime. Bottom line - would I travel across the country to spend an afternoon here? Yup, definitely.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Birder41
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for posting such a kind review about your recent visit to Ojo. We are so gratified to know that you and your friends and family were able find rest and relaxation at our sacred hot springs while on your trip to Taos.

We apologize that your group experienced inconsistency amongst your spa services. We strive to provide the highest level of spa therapy possible. When we fall short it is very important that our guests share their experiences with us while they are still here at Ojo, so that we have an opportunity to address the situation and improve upon the guest experience while we can.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you so that I can obtain more information about the therapists who worked with you and your group. I can be reached at my direct line 505-583-3221.

Best regards,
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I've been coming to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa since 2006. I used to be a die-hard 5 star fan of the resort and recommended it to EVERYONE I knew. It used to be personal, quiet, and relaxing. I am sad to to say, during my stay there last week, I have to downgrade my previous opinion to a 2 star experience. It would have been 1 star, but the waters didn't lose their charm or do anything to upset me.

My (now) husband booked us 2 nights there for our honeymoon (Nov. 13-15, 2013). We got married in Denver on Tuesday November 12th. He knew how much I loved the place and had missed going there since we moved to the Seattle area a year ago. I was so surprised to hear of his plan and was giddy as we were driving up to the hotel last Wednesday evening. We checked into our room (which was nice), then headed over to our private pool, as he purchased the couples retreat package. This is where our stay started to go downhill.

We were taken to our private pool, along with a foursome who was going to an adjacent private pool. They were SO loud and obnoxious, and the bathhouse attendant was just as loud as they were while she got them settled and opened up our pool door. We didn't even stay for the whole hour, as the foursome was extremely loud and disrespectful of the "whisper" rule. We let the attendant know we were unhappy, but she didn't seem to care. We also encountered a gentleman on his cell phone walking around the grounds that evening. We talked with the front desk staff and were granted another opportunity in a private pool the following night for 2 hours. Nice gesture, but the care just wasn't there.

We started our next day with a decent yoga experience, then proceeded to our massage/facial sessions, as per our couple's retreat package. My husband had an okay experience with his massage, but the room was far too hot. My facial was decent, but when an aesthetician is that close to someone's face, it would be a good idea for her to engage a breath mint. Wow is all I can say. Not a relaxing experience at all and I was glad when it was over.

We spent the afternoon in Santa Fe, and upon returning, decided to go pick up the complimentary bottle of wine from the bar, again, as per our package. We were NOT happy that we couldn't bring back the wine to our room unless the Ojo staff opened it. We had planned on bringing it back home with us to enjoy later, but due to NM laws, this was not possible. It would have been nice to have known that before we had to deal with the extremely RUDE bartender telling us to not bother him with the request, and to ask the hostess instead. It was clearly stated on the card in our room to ask the bartender for our bottle of wine. The hostess brought us the opened bottle of wine tied up in a white plastic trash bag. What a total joke! I restrained myself from taking said bottle of wine and pouring it all over the floor, as it was completely worthless at that point! I understand that the resort probably hoped we would enjoy the "free" bottle of wine in the restaurant on-site. Lame tactics, people.

Our make-up 2 hour private pool session was fine, I suppose. We didn't even utilize the full 2 hours. I think we were both kind of over the whole experience at this point. We headed back to our room to try to enjoy the rest of our stay.

We awoke to a note in our mailbox about check-out, where we saw a charge that wasn't supposed to be on the invoice. We went to the front desk and, sure enough, they were trying to charge us for the 2 hour private pool the night before. Notes were entered into our account, but the ball was dropped and the charges were not zeroed out, as they should have been. Everything was eventually taken care of, but for nearly $700 for our 2 nights stay, we could have spent our money more wisely and been treated better elsewhere.

Ojo Caliente Resort/Spa has certainly lost it's charm. It's gotten too big. It's become too impersonal. There are a million places out there where you can get treated like a number. Ojo is now one of them. It's really a shame that Ojo isn't what it used to be. I guess all good things must come to an end. The only saving grace for our stay was the fact that I was with my wonderful new husband. We will find somewhere new to celebrate our anniversaries.

2 Thank Kirsten-Ellingford
Dear Guest:

We would like to express our sincere apologies that your recent visit to Ojo fell short of your past experiences particularly since you were celebrating your honeymoon. We are grateful for your continued patronage since 2006 and are appreciative of your recommendations of Ojo to other travelers. We have tried to reach you by phone to speak with you directly to address your concerns.

We certainly appreciate your feedback, and we assure you that it will be applied constructively in our ongoing effort to maximize the integrity of the Ojo experience and guest satisfaction. As stewards of this legendary oasis, we are wholeheartedly committed to providing gracious and accommodating hospitality to all of our guests.

We were sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noisy guests while soaking in a Private Pool. Maintaining the respectful and tranquil nature of Ojo continues to be one of our highest priorities. Our Spa Director will be working with the spa attendants, who are tasked with reminding guests of the Quiet Zone in the private pools, to more effectively enforce this policy. Additionally, we have asked our front desk staff to reiterate our Whisper Policy to all of our guests as they enter the Springs.

Further, thank you for bringing to our attention the details of your massage experiences. Our Spa Director has already spoken to the therapists so this will not happen again.

With regards to the wine delivery, it is New Mexico law that unopened alcohol cannot leave the bar area however, the service you received from the bartender was not acceptable and has been communicated to our Food and Beverage Director. Our staff will be better instructed on how to handle delivery of the complimentary bottle of wine that is offered with our Couples’ Romance Retreat.

It does appear there was a miscommunication at the front desk about the charges to your folio. We thank you for alerting the staff to this error so that it was rectified before you left the resort.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and share your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to re-instill your confidence in Ojo, and the exceptional experience that we know we are capable of providing. Please call me at your earliest convenience on my direct line 505-583-3219.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Ojo Caliente is a lovely place but the last few times my husband and I have been there were on the weekend (two weekends ago) and so it was therefore very busy. The staff are very nice but they have become too lax on controlling the loud obnoxious tourists who can't seem to read the "whisper signs". I have been coming to Ojo for 30 years and it's not the "secret" that it used to be so it's become quite popular. So I am only going to give them three stars because they really need to enforce the quiet zones.

3 Thank FallsMarie
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. We would like to extend our sincere gratitude for your loyal patronage over the past 30 years.

Maintaining the solace and tranquility of this sacred place has always been (and continues to be) among our highest priorities. It is indeed a challenge to do so at busier times.

Your feedback was given to our General Manager who has asked our management staff to address the noise level concerns with our entire staff, particularly as we approach the holidays, and requested that we reinforce our Whisper Policy to all our our guests at the front desk before they enter the Springs. Additionally, we have ordered more hand signs that say "Please Whisper" for our Spa Attendants to carry with them and display while they regularly monitor the pools in the Springs and Spa area.

We are both blessed and challenged by Ojo's increase in popularity and will continue fine-tuning our services to provide our guests with calm and peaceful experience that Ojo is known for. We thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your suggestions and observations.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best regards,
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We visit Ojo at least once during the winter months and have always had a relaxing experience. The massages have been excellent and the mineral springs are terrific for soaking your bones. We have stayed in the cottages, pueblo suites and the hotel. Each has its own advantages but all are comfortable. The historic hotel is funky and close to the restaurant, which is one of the best restaurants a person can find. I have the trout and it was moist. The portions are large.Oh, the grilled artichoke is fabulous! For breakfast, I recommend the pinon blue corn pancakes. yum.
The prices are high end (in my opinion) but we felt we got our money's worth.

Room Tip: Room 36 in the hotel is small, but out of the traffic area. The pueblo suites have fireplaces and a...
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights in the Pueblo Suite......thought it would be cold in November. Yes, the temperature dipped, but the dry air and cellophane sunshine never made us cold.
The pools were wonderful....loved the new Kiva Pool. The restaurant on site had a wonderful menu and all the people we encountered were friendly. Had a wonderful facial, and the Ojo Dreaming massage.......I'm ready to go back.

Room Tip: The new Pueblo suites were wonderful. We were just steps from the Kiva pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!