“Great springs, don't stay in the cottages”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed in the North Cottages for one night and were very disappointed with the lack in character, décor, and landscape/porch. The beds were comfortable with a minimal look that was nice, but there was a very noisy window fan that made it hard to sleep (without it on the room was very hot). The room was very cramped for 4 people and lacked lustre. The ceiling was unfinished, and the kitchen was very small and out-dated with lots of wasted space. It would not have taken that much to spice up the place with a little colour or New Mexican art. The bathroom was the most updated, but the toilet clogged the first time we used it, and after reporting it to the front desk, it was never fixed. The back porch was small, and share with the strangers staying next door, and the view was a landslide hill and visible dumpsters behind a fence. The "backyard" was some weeds, dirt, and the other neighbours porches. It you would like to stay here, the newer, updated, expensive suites would be your best bet, but otherwise this facility is better for day use only.

Room Tip: Do not get a North Cottage, go with one of the more expensive Suites.
4  Thank TeenCuisine
Ojowaters, Owner at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Guest:

First off, we're terribly sorry to hear that your toilet was never taken care of. We have shared your feedback with our Facilities Manager, and he has assured us that he is personally inspecting all bathrooms and window units in the North Cottages to ensure they operating as they should be. To that end, you'll be happy to know we are considering replacing the window AC units with updated, and more quiet portable units. Additionally, we sincerely apologize that you weren't pleased with the accommodations, and did not receive enough information about the size of the room. We often do receive requests for 4 people to share a room with two queen beds. That said, for these types of inquiries, we will work to better inform our guests as to the actual size of the room. Perhaps for your next visit, you may be interested in the more spacious Plaza or Pueblo Suites which also include access to the new Kiva Pool for guests in these rooms. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. I can be reached on my direct line at 505-583-3221. Until then, we appreciate your candor, and we hope to have another opportunity to host you in the future.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've been to the Mineral Springs a couple times. I have yet to stay the night, but my day trip experiences were wonderful. It is so quiet, peaceful and relaxing. The entire area is a whisper zone full of hammocks and lounge chairs. It is so easy to relax and take a nap or read a book. Children are only allowed in one area so you are not disturbed by loud shouting or splashing. The scenery is beautiful. Go during the week if you can because the entry fee is $10 cheaper!

Room Tip: Go during the week! The entry fee is $10 cheaper! Or bring your lift ticked after skiing for %20 off...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tews20
Ojowaters, Owner at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your wonderful review and excellent tip! Visiting during the week is a lovely way to get away from it all. Until next time, thank you for taking the time to review us. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Having grown up going to Ojo Caliente, I was excited to take my children there on a recent trip to Santa Fe. Well, wish I had known- no matter what they say, children and families are NOT welcome. From the minute we walked up to the desk, the staff were extremely rude. Rather than nicely explaining the changes that had occurred to what used to be a fun, laid back, family place, they in no uncertain terms let us know that they would charge the same price for kids as adults, but that only 1 pool (not hot pool) would be available to them, and if they didn't behave they would not be welcome. If we hadn't driven so far I would have walked out- and in hind sight should have. My kids swam in the big pool and were calmer and quieter than I have ever experienced them. Despite this, the very rude, snotty manager came out to "warn" us that if he came again we would be kicked out- and with no reason! At the time, they were having a competition of who could hold their breath longest underwater- how can you be loud underwater? Several guests approached after he left and told us they thought our kids were being so good and were disturbed at his attitude. I have never been treated as rudely anywhere across the US or abroad. Basic hospitality training seems to be completely lacking. It was so disappointing. I should say that the restaurant staff did not follow this mold and were kind and very friendly and accommodating of the kids- maybe they could train some of the other staff how to treat guests.

13  Thank Heather S

Dear Guest:

We're very sorry to hear about your recent experience at Ojo, especially considering your fond memories of visiting us with your family. We truly value all of our guests and make every effort to create positive experiences for everyone who visits these sacred hot springs. Being a dad of younger kids myself, I completely understand your surprise about our Children's Policy if you were not aware of it before you arrived. For families, including my own, we hope you understand that we strive to balance the needs of guests who come for a tranquil experience with those of our guests with younger children. The entire Springs and Spa area has always been maintained as a Whisper Zone. We welcome well-behaved children of any age with parental supervision to Ojo with very specific guidelines that have been in place for many years. We apologize if one of our staff members did not communicate this in a friendly and hospitable manner. We do conduct extensive, on-going customer service training with all of our team members, and strive to offer the most gracious and accommodating hospitality possible. It appears we felt short of this during your visit. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please call me on my direct line at 505-583-3221 at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We love the springs, this was our second visit. The only thing was we stayed in the North Cottages and the ventilation was very poor- these are older buildings and the AC was a window unit which was EXTREMELY loud and kept us from sleeping as it was right near the bed, within about 2 feet of my head. Then we found a fan, which was really loud, even on low. Unfortunately it was too warm to sleep without one or the other, so we just slept poorly rather than not at all. Also, our toilet kept clogging up, even when using a very minimal amount of paper. We just ended up using the toilet in the locker room most of the time.

The dinner we had at the restaurant was AMAZING, we had the bacon-wrapped shrimp fajitas and the pina colada soup, which were outstanding. The service was good and there was no wait. Breakfast was OK... I loved the parfait and the granola. I could take or leave the chile relleno and the Mayan omelette- the sauces were very bland.

The staff throughout the property were very kind... our only issue was one awful girl (a spa employee) who saw us petting and playing with the shy "resort mascot," Zoe, and came screaming across the parking lot to chase the dog like "ZOEYYYYY ARF ARF ARF I'M GONNA GET YA AIIIIIGH" (not kidding) and startled the dog so badly that she ran away with her tail between her legs and didn't visit us the rest of the trip. She said "She doesn't like me, I don't know why..." Well, miss, she doesn't like you because you chase her, shout, and upset her on purpose. That really bothered me, because I love animals and this was supposed to be a peaceful retreat, not a place I would have expected someone to be mean to a dog and extremely loud right outside our cottage. The girl was off duty and was returning to her car for the day, but we could not get over how rude and loud and insensitive she was, both to us and to the dog.

I would definitely return to Ojo again.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer side, the North Cottages are dated.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katiross

Dear Guest:

Thank you for visiting Ojo and taking the time to share your experience. We're happy to here that you you enjoyed your visit so much that you plan to return to our sacred oasis in the near future.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your dinner in The Artesian Restaurant, and we have shared your comments about some of our breakfast items with our chef. We're surprised to learn that one of our teammates upset you -- we can assure you that she never meant to scare Zoey. We are huge animal lovers ourselves, and encourage everyone at Ojo to gently acknowledge all animals in our parking lot. While due to our small number of rooms, we are not pet-friendly at this time, it is something we are considering for the future. We've also shared your feedback about the state of your toilet with our maintenance manager, and sincerely apologize we were not able to remedy this issue during your visit. If you would like to discuss your visit further, please do don't hesitate to call me on my direct line at 505-583-3221. Until then, thank you for relaxing with us, and we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The mud bath really makes this place, but the hike up to the Posi ruins and Mica Mines is incredible, as is the restaurant. Dinner menu was a bit expensive, but breakfast and lunch were good deals, and the food was some of the best we had in New Mexico. The service here was top notch, and the Whisper Only signs that I had heard so much about and sort of feared only came out when the obnoxious ones showed up. We'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YoJimbo89

Dear Guest:

We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your Ojo experience. Our new Mud Area provides a wonderful way to detoxify and relax! Thank you for making us a part of your visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My daughter and I spent a glorious 4 days at Ojo Caliente in June. We booked an Ojo Escape spa package and stayed in a Plaza Cottage. The scenery was beautiful, the spa treatments wonderful, the hot springs rejuvenating, and the staff friendly. We didn't do the morning yoga because it was a bit early for us. Perhaps they could add an afternoon or early evening session? We stocked our cottage's fridge with some snacks and waters and ended up eating one or two delicious meals a day at the restaurant. My only criticism - they didn't enforce the "whisper" policy in and around the springs enough. I ended up "shush-ing" a few people for speaking too loudly in the springs. If you want a unique, relaxing spa experience in a tranquil setting, run - don't walk - to Ojo Caliente.

2  Thank karin a

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about the glorious experience you and your daughter shared during your recent visit to Ojo. We're always happy to receive guest suggestions, and have sent your recommendation about adding an afternoon or early evening yoga class to our spa director. Thank you for making the effort to assist us with enforcing the Whisper Policy. We are both grateful and challenged by Ojo's increase in popularity and we continue to make new strides to protect and maintain the tranquil environment that Ojo is known. To that end, we are considering designating a "no-talking zone" in the cliffside pool area for those who wish for a supremely quiet atmosphere. The Whisper Policy would remain throughout the rest of the Springs and Spa area. Please stay tuned to our website and Facebook page for more information. Thank again for your lovely review, and please keep us in mind next time you need to unwind!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This place is as beautiful as the pictures online! The staff is friendly and accommodating. When I went the first time, I'd never been anywhere like this before, and had a lot of questions, didn't know my way around, etc., and the staff didn't seem to mind. The locker rooms are clean and beautiful. I splurged and got a private pool and a massage, both were lovely experiences. My favorite pool was the arsenic pool between the swimming and mud pools, as it was the hottest. We ate dinner at the restaurant and even got to meet the chef! I had the grilled trout with pinon sauce and it was DELICIOUS! You must try the "chocolate cigar" for dessert, too. Even the coffee was terrific. The only thing that made me choose "very good" instead of "excellent" was not even due to the place or staff, it was the other patrons who continued to ignore the "no cell phone" and the "please whisper" signs. I saw staff members come out and ask people to please whisper, and others walked around with a big, but tasteful, "please whisper" sign, but it didn't quite work. Maybe they were too nice about it? But I can understand, as it's supposed to be a peaceful place, and if you are there earlier in the morning, later in the evening, or go during the week, it's much quieter. Great place and I'll definitely continue to go back often!

2  Thank Rena S

Dear Guest:

With a lovely dinner, attentive staff and our relaxing pools, it seems that you truly did enjoy your visit with us! It's quite rewarding to hear, so thank you for sharing your feedback. While we are extremely grateful for Ojo's increase in guest visitation, we are also challenged to protect the integrity and tranquil nature of this sacred place. You may have noticed our "Tranquilo" billboards on your drive to the resort. We are continually working to incorporate this message into our larger marketing effort to set the tone of what guests can expect when they visit Ojo. We have also asked our staff to increase the frequency, whenever possible, of informing our guests both on the phone, and on arrival, of the peaceful, calm and quiet atmosphere we encourage everyone to enjoy. As you noticed, our spa attendants will continues to monitor the pools regularly carrying "Please Whisper" signs. Additionally, we are also considering designating a "no-talking zone" in our Cliffside Pool area. Regardless, we will continue to make every effort to protect, honor and preserve the sacred Ojo experience for everyone who seeks it.

Thank you again for writing such a wonderful review. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojo Caliente
Abiquiu Inn
Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Inn at the Delta
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!