“Beautiful and Relaxing Experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I spent a night at Ojo Caliente with a friend in the fall, and found it be a completely relaxing experience. We upgraded to a Cliffside Suite upon arrival, and it was well worth it. Not only did we have access to the private pool meant for guests in the suites, but we also had a private patio with a tub we could fill from the hot springs. It was really beautiful to be able to soak in the mineral waters in a private tub on our patio and look up at the clear night sky. It also had a kiva fireplace, which we used and liked. The room was adequately sized and comfortably furnished, and the bathroom was nice as well. My friend, who lives in New Mexico, expected the place to be a little more rustic based on what she'd heard, but really it is quite luxe.

The pools and springs were great and were not overcrowded on a Friday afternoon, evening, and Saturday morning. Perhaps it's different at a different time of year or different days. I do take away a star for a couple reasons: we had mixed experiences with the staff, some of whom were friendly and helpful, others of whom...not so much. There was also a kind of confusing and uncomfortable walk from the suites to the entrance to the main pool area - it wasn't really clear that you actually have to walk through the lobby to access the pools. They could have better signage or information. And finally, I felt the food at the restaurant was fine, but not exceptional. Next time we will probably explore a little further afield for food, though the resort restaurant is an acceptable alternative.

Overall, however, it was a totally worthwhile stay and one I would happily repeat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cameron K
Ojowaters, Owner at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest:

We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed our enchanting destination, the beautiful natural surroundings and the brilliant night sky. We agree that it is wonderfully relaxing to look at the stars at night! That aside, I'm sorry to hear that some members of our team weren't as welcoming as we would have hoped. We have made a point to address your concerns in a recent staff meeting in our on-going effort to improve the Ojo guest experience. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to have another chance to have you back very soon.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Perhaps the campgrounds were off due to recent flooding. But I found the hard dirt cut and Porto potty so close to site 14 less then inspiring. An evening soak in the hotsprings was lovely with a lightening storm in the distance.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest:

That must have been a gorgeous view of the storm! While we're happy to hear that you enjoyed our pools, we're sorry you had a less than positive experience in our RV Park/campground area. As you mentioned, we have experienced some flooding recently, but you'll be happy to know that all of the fall-out from our recent monsoon season have been remedied. Thank you, and please don't hesitate to contact me on my direct line at 505.583.3221 if you wish you discuss this in detail.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have looked forward to trying Ojo Caliente Hot Springs for years and finally was able to work it into a big road trip with my husband and 10 year old daughter. My experience there was ok with some good points but mostly disappointing. At check in the clerk was unfriendly and a little rude about our rate and whether it included our kid. She said she needed to add $50 more per night for her. And to top that off, kids are only allowed in one of the many pools on the property. I do recall reading that on the web site and was ok with that restriction. But their web site is not clear how un-kid friendly this resort is. Kids are limited when they can be in the one pool they are allowed it. We located our on line reservation confirmation and determined we had already added out kid into the rate so we had to go back to the cranky clerk and get her to remove the additional "kid" charge. The clerk made me feel like it was such bad taste to bring my kid along. So with that, our initiation to Ojo was not pleasant. We stayed in one of the cottages which had frequent spiders and other bugs. The kitchenette was why we picked that room which was decent. It was hot in there and they had a window AC unit which worked somewhat but was really loud. We also needed a fan (also provided by Ojo thank goodness) but that only added to the noise in the room. I felt like I was in an airplane engine with all the noise. The restaurant was good for breakfast and dinner. I scheduled a reflexology appointment and once in there, found out that the therapist wasn't trained in reflexology specifically. This was a big bummer because I had been having headaches for over a week and was hoping it would help. It was disappointing to spend over $85 on that. The therapist was super nice but not sure how skilled she was.

Room Tip: Look closer at the different rooms but be prepared to pay more for the.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mamafli65

Dear Guest:

We regret to hear about your recent experience at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs, and that you and your family were not meet with the gracious hospitality that we pride ourselves on delivering during your visit. We truly value all of our guests and make every effort to create positive experiences for everyone who visits these sacred hot springs.

For families, we hope you understand that we strive to balance the needs of guests who come for a tranquil experience with those of our guests with younger children. We apologize if you were not fully informed of our Children's Policy. As stated on our website, the entire Springs and Spa areas are a Whisper Zone. We welcome well-behaved children of any age with parental supervision to Ojo with specific guidelines,

We apologize for the noise from your air conditioner in your cottage. We have shared your comments with our Facilities Manager who assures us he will personally inspect each North Cottage and has asked us to tell you that we are considering installing new portable AC units that are much more quiet. Your experience with our massage therapist is highly unusual. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please call me on my direct line at 505.583.3221. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with our soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My friend and I drove down to Ojo Caliente for a couple days and we were very happy with our stay. The resort is small and can get very crowded with day visitors to the springs. However if you are staying there you have access to a smaller private pool and it is very nice. We also had massages and an hour in a private pool and they were both wonderful. Especially the private pool which was a wonderful, luxurious, treat. The food in the restaurant was great and the mud bath was fun. The walking trails are not particularly scenic or challenging but still nice. The room was a bit sparse but in all fairness we booked late and got the last available room on the end which is specially outfitted for handicapped persons. It is a good value and I would visit again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Ojowaters, Owner at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest:

We are happy to know you were able to find a room on such short notice! It's lovely to hear how much you and your friend enjoyed our pools, especially our new Mud Area. We can't wait to welcome you back again, but in the meantime, thank you for reviewing us. Your kind words made our day!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We visited during the week and found it a wonderful,relaxing experience. There was a group of women with giggly teenage daughters that needed to tone it down. My husband and I had massages and enjoyed the pools. The cliff side background was a nice backdrop for our private pool hour. We split lunch with 2 sides and it was plenty. It felt funny wearing a robe to a restaurant. Don't expect clear pools, after all it is mineral water! Lodging is available. Something that I would enjoy as an individual retreat. A very serene experience!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wbwest

Dear Guest:

Yes, the cliffs are the perfect backdrop to a relaxing soak! So happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and we hope you'll have another chance to visit us again soon. Until then, thank you for the lovely review!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a beautiful, sacred place and we had an extraordinary time. We stayed in the old hotel which had a nice historic feel. The room was small but cozy with very comfortable beds. The pools were lovely, a little crowded on Sunday when we arrived but much better that evening and the next day and sitting in the pools under the moon and stars was magical. The locker room was immaculate, towels big and fluffy and nice robes. Friendly courteous service. Great, well curated gift shop.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest:

Relaxing in the pools under the gorgeous New Mexican night sky -- it doesn't get better than that! Thanks for relaxing with us, and for the lovely review. We can't wait to have you back again!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were very regular overnight visitors at Ojo until recently. Sometimes we splurged for a Cliffside room and other times stayed in the Historic Hotel. We have always found the food and service to be excellent. What is happening it that the place is getting too popular. There is the summer influx of Texans who have no idea what a "whisper zone" is. The attitude is "I paid good money to be here so I will talk as loud as I wish and my kids can play Marco Polo in the pool". The pools are so crowded that it is uncomfortable. I don't want to be a foot away from someone. I truly feel sorry for the management as they try to respond to each person bent out of shape because their kids were disciplined. Then there were the complainers from San Francisco who were upset that Ojo is "in the middle of nowhere and late night room service isn't offered". Are you kidding me ? This a sacred place and most of us come for peace and quiet. Sorry folks but it was never meant to be a place for kids...take them to a water park.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank peggy2357

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. It appears that our guests have different ways of relaxing, and we do our best to facilitate this by keeping the noise level down. Please know that maintaining the sacred and tranquil nature of the Ojo experience is one of our highest priorities. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this further so you can be assured of our commitment to honor and protect all that is special about this sacred place. Please call me on my direct line at 505.583.3221. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojo Caliente
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Ghost Ranch Education & Retreat Center
Abiquiu Inn
Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
Hotel Luna Mystica
Hotel Luna Mystica
#5 of 15 in Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!