“Great experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Albuquerque
“Great experience”
Reviewed 31 January 2006

This hideaway just 2 hours from Albuquerque and not far from Taos offers a variety of great hot pools in a beautifully-landscaped setting. The historic hotel offers the basic amenities, but several different cottage/house arrangements are available with TV. The restaurant is very nice. We enjoyed our stay very much. A variety of massages and wraps are available. We loved going in winter. Somewhat retro, but nice ambiance.

4 Thank kaypra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Reviewed 22 December 2005

Not at all what I thought it would be! Unfortunately, my experience at Ojo Caliente did not live up to my expectations. When I go to a spa, I am accustomed to getting a locker to store my things, a robe and slippers to use while I am there, and for the bathroom to have shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and q-tips for me to use. Not to mention, normally, there is a pitcher of water available and some fruit to snack on. Ojo had none of that. The prices at Ojo were comparable to high end spas, which made me think that I would be getting a similar spa experience.

If Ojo had not had such high prices, I wouldn’t mind not having all of the amenities that I’m used to, but considering they are charging as much as high end spas, they fall very short of expectations. As someone else has written, they need to bring the service up to the prices they charge, and the attendants don’t provide very good customer service, especially not what you expect from a spa. And like another reviewer, we had the same experience of Ojo telling us that they couldn’t find one of the massage therapists, and that one of us in our group may not be able to get a massage. Luckily they found a replacement therapist to do the massage. We were visiting from out of town, and had booked our massage over a month in advance.

We had to buy/rent a padlock to use to lock our valuables up in small lockers outside by the pools. This was very inconvenient and meant that we had to go back and forth between areas before and after our massages. My massage room was facing a few of the pools there, which meant that I heard a lot of commotion outside during the massage, which made it difficult to relax.

Tip: You can order for and take it outside to eat at the restaurant. Don’t get the salads – very small and over priced. Go for one of the sandwiches – they even come with a small salad. I’ve heard that it takes quite a long time to order and sit down to eat in the restaurant, so you may want to get your order to go so you can enjoy the outdoors.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 16 August 2005

I spent New Years Eve at Ojo Caliente last year because I was looking for a relaxed and mellow evening that wouldn't cost a fortune. I was not disappointed. It's true that the rooms aren't fancy, but they are decently furnished and clean. I had a wonderful massage, herbal wrap and mineral bath. The outdoor hot springs are great. The food in the restaurant is OK, nothing special, but overall I liked the funky atmosphere of the place. The thing that really amazed me was the price. This was New Year's Eve, when everybody jacks up their rates, but Ojo Caliente didn't change their rates at all--the room cost $100 plus tax.

Stayed December 2004
5 Thank ChelseaGirl98
Reviewed 18 May 2005

Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Spa is a rustic relaxing place to get away from it all. We had a cabin and it was sparse but very clean and net. Our cabin came with a tv so we could relax and watch a movie if we wanted to. We also had a kitchen that had a few itemsL plates, cups, etc.
The restaurant was wonderful and reasonable, we thought.
The mineral springs were fun...but our concerns were with the staff and something they did at the restaurant which really angered us. We had reservations for dinner for both nights. The second night, was Mothers Day. At no time did they display any signs or tell the people staying there that there was a limited and price fixed dinner for Mothers Day. So, we showed up for our dinner and were told it would be a flat $32 per person. My husband went just a few feet away to the registration desk and calmly told the person that we were not told of this and were not expecting to pay $74 for dinner that night. We were told to "go to Tiny's" which was down the street. A small place (7 tables) with nice people but it was all hamburgers and finger food. Our problem was the rudeness and lack of concern the person displayed.

Later that evening, my husband attempted to use the steam room and sauna which had not been working fro two days and again, he politely mentioned it and the teenager who was sitting there said, "yeah, we know about it". So much, again, for customer service.

The experience that angered me the most was that during the afternoon I had a massage. I explained to the therapist that I was a juvenile diabetic and had a few other medical problems going on at the moment. She commented that if I got my juvenile diabetes "into remission", perhaps my other medical problems would clear up. Juvenile Diabetes does not go "into remission". Making that statement to some one who is not as educated as myself may have caused severe problems.

I'm glad I went to Ojo but we will not go back

Stayed May 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 January 2005

I read some of the reviews; some of you are missing the point of the Ojo experience, et al. This is one of the original Native American pueblos, and the owners are trying to make some improvements without ruining the atmosphere. Yes they have made improvements and hopefully will not go any further than what it is today. Visitor's that are looking for a fancy spa with all the amenities, go somewhere else and leave Ojo to those of us that enjoy it just the way it is.

This is where the Indians actually lived and the bathes they used for hundreds of years. If you are expecting to visit a fancy inn with bar, dancing, TVs, phones and amusement park, then go somewhere else. Ojo is not for you, this is a 'no-frills' stay, people that enjoy it is because they expect the inn and surrounding area to remain primitive. It's a place for a romantic weekend, a place to meet with friends, a quiet place to visit by yourself and be left alone if you want.

Yes I am a native of New Mexico, Mother was from Spain, Father Native American, lived in CA and several other states and have visited several 'natural hot mineral bathes', some were so commercialized I'll never go back. I return to Ojo at lease once or twice a year to unwind from the 'city's stress'.

If you travel up the Snake River in Idaho, there are 'hot bathes' along the river at no charge. Are you going to complain because you have to pull off the road, change your clothes with no privacy; provide your own towel and no lunch after you get out? It is the same thing any other place where hot water comes out of the earth and used as hot baths! Check your geology that means there is some volcanic activity inside those mountains. We have them all over the United States, Native Americans found them first, and then the Anglo began using them. These are God's little secrets; enjoy them as they are, why else to you think they are in these out of the way places?

I have been sending friends of different cultures/sexes to Ojo Caliente and explained it's 'no frills'; everyone said it was exactly as I described and that the restaurant was outstanding. It will satisfy everyone's palette.

Be adventurous; enjoy nature, history, the serenity, quietness, and peacefulness. This is truly God's country reap what is left!

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gardner, Colorado
Reviewed 29 November 2004

Wow, what a deal. I called three days ahead for a Friday night stay and was told there was only one room left, their most expensive (for $109 -- off-season). Having never visited Ojo Caliente before, I did not know what to expect. So my partner and I rolled the dice and went for it.

Wow, even at $109 a night, it was a steal. For two people, if you use all the amenities available for overnight guests, you can't go wrong. Soaking in the pools is $20 a person a day; a milagro wrap and private tub is another $16 a day per person. With an overnight room you get these privileges for two days -- that comes out to $72 a day or $144 for two days. Essentially your room is free! And like I said, we stayed in the most expensive room, a private cottage just steps away from the pools (the older historic simple hotel rooms start at $79 for two, and are all of 30 feet from the pools).

This place is beautiful. Not 'foofy' at all, yet there are some nice perks and regular attractive renovations. The four mineral pools go from about 99 degrees to 109 degrees (yow, that was hot!). Under the stars and moon, this place was magical.

Plus, take the 3/4 mile hike up to the remains of the ancient Pueblo, pay your respects, catch the amazing view of the Sangre de Christos, then go back for another great soak!

One note of tiny dismay: the mud pool is closed during the winter; an ideal time to come here would be in October or March/April when the weather is still cool, the crowds thinner and the mud pool is open. Then again, a soak in the iron or arsenic pool during a snow shower would be a slice of heaven.

Oh yeah, we ate dinner at the nearby Mesa Vista restaurant, which was pretty ho-hum. Try Tiny's or eat at the a-bit-pricey in house restaurant at the resort (breakfast was good and the prices more reasonable).

21 Thank dogbuckeye
Reviewed 2 September 2004

I stayed at Ojo Caliente about 5 years ago. From looking at their website, it appears to have been renovated since (although I'm not sure to what degree). In my estimation, the plusses outweighed the minuses. I will never forget soaking in the incredibly warm outdoor mineral pool and feeling the hot water bubble up from the sand at the bottom while sitting directly below a huge boulder and looking up at the clear blue New Mexico sky on a cold November day. The place felt like the old west, bohemian style. I remember the nice fireplace as you enter, and large variety of people who we met while staying there -- everyone from business executives to cowboy types, all of whom we enjoyed talking to in the mineral pools! It wasn't fancy at all -- our room was very rustic, in fact you had to pull a string to put the light on, but it was all part of the fun! [Although, hopefully they have renovated the rooms by now]. We ate at the on-site restaurant which served very health oriented, wholesome, gourmet cuisine and nice wines. It was a nice atmosphere. All in all, the place is charming in a rustic, western type of way, and you simply can't beat the price which includes all the mineral pools! My only regret is that I don't live closer, because I'd be back all the time.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!