“Don't get your hopes up”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Reviewed 23 May 2006

First, the nice things about the resort:
It's very cool if you've never stayed in an old hotel. The furnishings, while not period, were adequate and the room was quite clean. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Starbucks coffee is served in the lobby (complimentary) in the morning, and dinner at the restaurant is delicious (trout with pinon nuts, wine, steamed vegetables, etc). Hiking/biking is right in the hotel's backyard. One morning I woke up early, had some Starbucks coffee, went for a hike as the sun came up, then finished up the day with mineral baths and a spa treatment.

Now for the not-so-great stuff:
My room was SO noisy. The door to the hallway had about a 3 inch gap under it, so I heard everything in the hallway. My room adjoined another room, and that door also had a huge gap under it. I felt like I was right in the room with the honeymooners next door, which made for a very embarrassing night.
For some reason the hotel has public bathrooms in the hall (each of the rooms have their own bathroom, so why the public bathrooms?). These were also very noisy.
The hallways reeked of Pine-sol and urine, and occasionally the smell wafted into my room. I payed $109/night for my room, and I feel like that was way too expensive for what I got.

My neighbors, who go often, tell me that the cottages are much more quiet and private.

While dinner at the restaurant is very good, breakfast and lunch are substandard. I think the professional chef must only come out at night.

The mineral baths are very rustic, but that is common in New Mexico. I had a salt massage, and while the massage itself was okay, the spa area was gross. Historically, the place was very interesting and worthwhile--I don't think much has changed there since 1910.

I would probably go again, but I'd stay in a cottage, bring my bike, and skip the spa treatment.

• Stayed: July 2004
4  Thank saramun
Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed 27 April 2006

I reserved a cabin a month in advance, guaranteed by a credit card. The occasion was my 50th birthday, and I was traveling with a friend all the way from San Francisco, California, expecting a wonderful and special experience. When I arrived, the desk clerk shuffled me aside to tell me that one of their regulars, someone who "spends a lot of money here", had decided to stay over without a reservation and they gave my cabin to her. They arranged for us to stay in a funky motel up on the highway, at our cost. I was very, very upset and disappointed. It ruined my special day. The management of Ojo Caliente is unprofessional and untrustworthy. I would not recommend that anyone take the chance on a reservation here, unless you are one of their favored clients. Apparently, they don't value new clients. Good luck, I'll never be back.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank Paula S
A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 26 March 2006

Just to warn any of you thinking about renting the "Hill House" at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. It was my 40th birthday and wanted somewhere special for my friends and I to stay. I looked online and they had three bedroom house, sounded perfect. I called and the receptionist told me that it was their nicest accomodation. I booked. When I arrived and drove to my "house" I saw that it was trailer. The field in front of it is garbage strewn and a burnt out house is next door.
When I called the front desk to inquire, they said they were booked and that there was nothing they could do for me.
This trailer cost me $356.00. The front desk clerk was unwilling to do anything for me, even though my lodging was clearly misrepresented by phone and website.
I had a very disappointing birthday and will not return. They had a once lovely mineral spring that they have now jacked up the price and are trying to pass off trailers as homes. Their response to me was that it was a manufactured home, not a trailer.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 February 2006

I loved my stay at Ojo. I didn't want anything too fussy or plush. These are ancient Native American waters, an ancient Native American place, and should be respected as such. The staff was very friendly but not overly attentive. I found the place to be clean, and I had the best massage I've ever had. The pools were fabulous. The food was good, not gourmet, so if that's what you're looking for you won't be happy here. The town is tiny, so if you want a plush McSpa type experience don't go here. But I love it and will certainly go again.

• Stayed: June 2004
8  Thank Smartalec26
Reviewed 31 January 2006

This hideaway just 2 hours from Albuquerque and not far from Taos offers a variety of great hot pools in a beautifully-landscaped setting. The historic hotel offers the basic amenities, but several different cottage/house arrangements are available with TV. The restaurant is very nice. We enjoyed our stay very much. A variety of massages and wraps are available. We loved going in winter. Somewhat retro, but nice ambiance.

4  Thank kaypra
A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 22 December 2005

Not at all what I thought it would be! Unfortunately, my experience at Ojo Caliente did not live up to my expectations. When I go to a spa, I am accustomed to getting a locker to store my things, a robe and slippers to use while I am there, and for the bathroom to have shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and q-tips for me to use. Not to mention, normally, there is a pitcher of water available and some fruit to snack on. Ojo had none of that. The prices at Ojo were comparable to high end spas, which made me think that I would be getting a similar spa experience.

If Ojo had not had such high prices, I wouldn’t mind not having all of the amenities that I’m used to, but considering they are charging as much as high end spas, they fall very short of expectations. As someone else has written, they need to bring the service up to the prices they charge, and the attendants don’t provide very good customer service, especially not what you expect from a spa. And like another reviewer, we had the same experience of Ojo telling us that they couldn’t find one of the massage therapists, and that one of us in our group may not be able to get a massage. Luckily they found a replacement therapist to do the massage. We were visiting from out of town, and had booked our massage over a month in advance.

We had to buy/rent a padlock to use to lock our valuables up in small lockers outside by the pools. This was very inconvenient and meant that we had to go back and forth between areas before and after our massages. My massage room was facing a few of the pools there, which meant that I heard a lot of commotion outside during the massage, which made it difficult to relax.

Tip: You can order for and take it outside to eat at the restaurant. Don’t get the salads – very small and over priced. Go for one of the sandwiches – they even come with a small salad. I’ve heard that it takes quite a long time to order and sit down to eat in the restaurant, so you may want to get your order to go so you can enjoy the outdoors.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 August 2005

I spent New Years Eve at Ojo Caliente last year because I was looking for a relaxed and mellow evening that wouldn't cost a fortune. I was not disappointed. It's true that the rooms aren't fancy, but they are decently furnished and clean. I had a wonderful massage, herbal wrap and mineral bath. The outdoor hot springs are great. The food in the restaurant is OK, nothing special, but overall I liked the funky atmosphere of the place. The thing that really amazed me was the price. This was New Year's Eve, when everybody jacks up their rates, but Ojo Caliente didn't change their rates at all--the room cost $100 plus tax.

Stayed: December 2004
5  Thank ChelseaGirl98
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojo Caliente
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Ghost Ranch Education & Retreat Center
Abiquiu Inn
Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
Hotel Luna Mystica
Hotel Luna Mystica
#4 of 15 in Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!