“Good variety of mineral pools but....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Reviewed 17 August 2006

I recently visited the mineral springs at Ojo Caliente (did not stay at the hotel) and while the variety of pools was good, the condition of the facilities was at best "no frills" so guests should be prepared. The men's locker room was cramped with wet floors with no attempt made by the limited staff to assist guests, clean the facilities, etc. The check-in area was disorganized and was out of rented locks for the lockers so I ended up storing my clothes in the car. The mud baths were the highlight though some unruly guests started throwing mud which hit other guests who weren't amused. While I believe my expectations were realistic given I had spent the previous day at the Jemez Springs Bath House and had an excellent experience, I do not plan on returning, given the other options available in the Santa Fe area including Ten Thousand Waves.

Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank Vaspaboy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed 19 July 2006

We went to Ojo Caliente for a day for a friend's bachelorette party. We wanted to get away for a day and relax. The overall state of the spa is great. Clean dressing rooms, beautiful grounds ect. We were,however dissapointed with a few things. the staff was very unhelpful.They wouldn't answer our questions, tried to overcharge us, lost a few of our reservations for facials, and the cleaning people stole 8 of our swimsuits! When we reported this, the manager didn't really seem to care. he just said 'things happen, it's out of our control..."
The pools were fine. very HOT!! it probably didn't help that it was 95 degress out either. I highly reccommend the mud bath,that was the best thing they have by far! Some of their pools were pretty dirty with things floating in them. The private tubs however, are amazing! It was very relaxing,quiet, you felt like you were at a different resort!

I can't say too many great things about the restaurant either. Overpriced, the food isn't that great either. It took us 20 minutes to finally get a server. She was absolutely terrible to us, but it didn't matter to her, because her 20% gratuity was already figured into the final price of the bill.
Overall, i would say it was an ok experience for a one time thing,but we won't be going back.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank Rebecki14
Reviewed 30 May 2006

We just spent seven days and six nights at the resort. The restaurant, spa services, and front office staff were Excellent. However, the accommodations were absolutely terrible. For the entire duration of our stay, we had a non-functioning toilet in our unit (a "Cottage"). We immediately brought this issue to the attention of the reosrt management. They promptly dispatched maintenance who returned a verdict of "we can't fix it yet -- maybe tomorrow". Then we never heard back from them -- althought we dilligently reported the difficulty every day (OK multiple times a day). We asked to be placed in a different unit, and were told they could not get their computer system to make the change! So, for the nearly $1000 cost of our accommodations, we received a $20 gift certificate for our inconvenience -- and no toilet. Hmmmm . . . not what we consider a stellar business relationship with paying customers. The irony was that price was not an issue for us, we just wanted a quality experience and were willing to pay for it. During this time we visited a marvelous resort called "Rancho de San Juan" where we strongly considered paying $275 to $450 per night -- that is where we will likely stay the next time we visit New Mexico.
But the Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort -- no way. Use the Spa, restaurant, and conference rooms -- but stay someplace else.

• Stayed: May 2006
11  Thank Rinpoche
Reviewed 23 May 2006

First, the nice things about the resort:
It's very cool if you've never stayed in an old hotel. The furnishings, while not period, were adequate and the room was quite clean. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Starbucks coffee is served in the lobby (complimentary) in the morning, and dinner at the restaurant is delicious (trout with pinon nuts, wine, steamed vegetables, etc). Hiking/biking is right in the hotel's backyard. One morning I woke up early, had some Starbucks coffee, went for a hike as the sun came up, then finished up the day with mineral baths and a spa treatment.

Now for the not-so-great stuff:
My room was SO noisy. The door to the hallway had about a 3 inch gap under it, so I heard everything in the hallway. My room adjoined another room, and that door also had a huge gap under it. I felt like I was right in the room with the honeymooners next door, which made for a very embarrassing night.
For some reason the hotel has public bathrooms in the hall (each of the rooms have their own bathroom, so why the public bathrooms?). These were also very noisy.
The hallways reeked of Pine-sol and urine, and occasionally the smell wafted into my room. I payed $109/night for my room, and I feel like that was way too expensive for what I got.

My neighbors, who go often, tell me that the cottages are much more quiet and private.

While dinner at the restaurant is very good, breakfast and lunch are substandard. I think the professional chef must only come out at night.

The mineral baths are very rustic, but that is common in New Mexico. I had a salt massage, and while the massage itself was okay, the spa area was gross. Historically, the place was very interesting and worthwhile--I don't think much has changed there since 1910.

I would probably go again, but I'd stay in a cottage, bring my bike, and skip the spa treatment.

• Stayed: July 2004
4  Thank saramun
Reviewed 27 April 2006

I reserved a cabin a month in advance, guaranteed by a credit card. The occasion was my 50th birthday, and I was traveling with a friend all the way from San Francisco, California, expecting a wonderful and special experience. When I arrived, the desk clerk shuffled me aside to tell me that one of their regulars, someone who "spends a lot of money here", had decided to stay over without a reservation and they gave my cabin to her. They arranged for us to stay in a funky motel up on the highway, at our cost. I was very, very upset and disappointed. It ruined my special day. The management of Ojo Caliente is unprofessional and untrustworthy. I would not recommend that anyone take the chance on a reservation here, unless you are one of their favored clients. Apparently, they don't value new clients. Good luck, I'll never be back.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank Paula S
A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 26 March 2006

Just to warn any of you thinking about renting the "Hill House" at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. It was my 40th birthday and wanted somewhere special for my friends and I to stay. I looked online and they had three bedroom house, sounded perfect. I called and the receptionist told me that it was their nicest accomodation. I booked. When I arrived and drove to my "house" I saw that it was trailer. The field in front of it is garbage strewn and a burnt out house is next door.
When I called the front desk to inquire, they said they were booked and that there was nothing they could do for me.
This trailer cost me $356.00. The front desk clerk was unwilling to do anything for me, even though my lodging was clearly misrepresented by phone and website.
I had a very disappointing birthday and will not return. They had a once lovely mineral spring that they have now jacked up the price and are trying to pass off trailers as homes. Their response to me was that it was a manufactured home, not a trailer.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 February 2006

I loved my stay at Ojo. I didn't want anything too fussy or plush. These are ancient Native American waters, an ancient Native American place, and should be respected as such. The staff was very friendly but not overly attentive. I found the place to be clean, and I had the best massage I've ever had. The pools were fabulous. The food was good, not gourmet, so if that's what you're looking for you won't be happy here. The town is tiny, so if you want a plush McSpa type experience don't go here. But I love it and will certainly go again.

• Stayed: June 2004
8  Thank Smartalec26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojo Caliente
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Abiquiu Inn
Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
Hotel Luna Mystica
Hotel Luna Mystica
#5 of 15 in Taos
Ghost Ranch Education & Retreat Center
Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!