“Loved it!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Kerrville, Texas
“Loved it!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2006

We stopped in for 2 nights to experience the Hot Springs and were not disappointed. The hot springs are what you go there for and are great. We took books and a short wave radio (for our room) and just chilled. The room in the main building was spartan but clean with just a commode and sink but you do get a daily private bath and Milagro wrap with your room rate! The showers are in the hot springs area and a short walk from the main building. Not a big deal! We found the food to be good and not exorbitantly priced, especially as you are somewhat 'captive' there in that it IS in the middle of nowhere!
All in all well worth the money.....one note though..they are doing some remodelling this year and there is a little "hubbub" at times. Although it did not spoil our stay....

• Liked — Rustic setting and mineral springs.
  • Disliked — A touch faded...
  • Tips/Secrets — Specials on the website. Get a NORTH room in the main building
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Philbytx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Fort Worth, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2006

At $142/night for a cottage with no shower, I found this to be overpriced. But the cottage was nice, it has a kitchenette (just no oven or stove), and they require you to use their bathhouse for showers, which doesn't open until 8am....nothing opens until 8am, including the registration desk.
The beds were comfy (maybe a little soft) with down comforters and lots of pillows. Our remote didn't work on the TV, but then they only have antenna, so there's only about 4 channels you can see. Everything is definitely geared towards the Hot Springs or the spa services. There's nothing else out there except the hiking, which is what I went for. The trails weren't marked very well, and information was very scarice around the entire place. I had to go to the desk to find out where the trails started. They gave me a badly copied, very basic map.
The hot springs were okay, but you have to shower first, and so any sunscreen you applied is gone, and all but 2 of the pools are in the sun. I can't really see sitting around in a pool for more than an hour, and after paying for the room I couldn't really afford the spa services. They were also very busy, and you had to wait for everything (and this was during the week). You even had to wait for just to take your morning shower. They are doing construction, which is noisy and ugly during the day.
The restaurant is a little too "new cuisine" for me. Though my husbands' $26 tenderloin was the best he's ever had. My $11 grilled chicken cesear salad was just average, kind of skimpy on the salad, croutons were unedible.
There's not much else around there to eat. We tried the Mesa Vista Cafe out on Hwy 285, and it was a sad place. The food was bland and not very good, and overpriced, the service people were just depressing.
They have camping, and that's what I'd recommend. The hikes were good, and the campgrounds looked nice, even though I only saw a couple of port-a-johns and you still have to trek to the bathhouse to get a shower, but I think it'd be a nice place to base yourself from if you wanted to tour around that part of NM. Just bring your own food!

5 Thank bhedge2
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2006

I recently visited the mineral springs at Ojo Caliente (did not stay at the hotel) and while the variety of pools was good, the condition of the facilities was at best "no frills" so guests should be prepared. The men's locker room was cramped with wet floors with no attempt made by the limited staff to assist guests, clean the facilities, etc. The check-in area was disorganized and was out of rented locks for the lockers so I ended up storing my clothes in the car. The mud baths were the highlight though some unruly guests started throwing mud which hit other guests who weren't amused. While I believe my expectations were realistic given I had spent the previous day at the Jemez Springs Bath House and had an excellent experience, I do not plan on returning, given the other options available in the Santa Fe area including Ten Thousand Waves.

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank Vaspaboy
Loveland, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2006

We went to Ojo Caliente for a day for a friend's bachelorette party. We wanted to get away for a day and relax. The overall state of the spa is great. Clean dressing rooms, beautiful grounds ect. We were,however dissapointed with a few things. the staff was very unhelpful.They wouldn't answer our questions, tried to overcharge us, lost a few of our reservations for facials, and the cleaning people stole 8 of our swimsuits! When we reported this, the manager didn't really seem to care. he just said 'things happen, it's out of our control..."
The pools were fine. very HOT!! it probably didn't help that it was 95 degress out either. I highly reccommend the mud bath,that was the best thing they have by far! Some of their pools were pretty dirty with things floating in them. The private tubs however, are amazing! It was very relaxing,quiet, you felt like you were at a different resort!

I can't say too many great things about the restaurant either. Overpriced, the food isn't that great either. It took us 20 minutes to finally get a server. She was absolutely terrible to us, but it didn't matter to her, because her 20% gratuity was already figured into the final price of the bill.
Overall, i would say it was an ok experience for a one time thing,but we won't be going back.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled with friends
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
7 Thank Rebecki14
Renton, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2006

We just spent seven days and six nights at the resort. The restaurant, spa services, and front office staff were Excellent. However, the accommodations were absolutely terrible. For the entire duration of our stay, we had a non-functioning toilet in our unit (a "Cottage"). We immediately brought this issue to the attention of the reosrt management. They promptly dispatched maintenance who returned a verdict of "we can't fix it yet -- maybe tomorrow". Then we never heard back from them -- althought we dilligently reported the difficulty every day (OK multiple times a day). We asked to be placed in a different unit, and were told they could not get their computer system to make the change! So, for the nearly $1000 cost of our accommodations, we received a $20 gift certificate for our inconvenience -- and no toilet. Hmmmm . . . not what we consider a stellar business relationship with paying customers. The irony was that price was not an issue for us, we just wanted a quality experience and were willing to pay for it. During this time we visited a marvelous resort called "Rancho de San Juan" where we strongly considered paying $275 to $450 per night -- that is where we will likely stay the next time we visit New Mexico.
But the Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort -- no way. Use the Spa, restaurant, and conference rooms -- but stay someplace else.

• Stayed May 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Rinpoche
Albuquerque, NM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2006

First, the nice things about the resort:
It's very cool if you've never stayed in an old hotel. The furnishings, while not period, were adequate and the room was quite clean. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Starbucks coffee is served in the lobby (complimentary) in the morning, and dinner at the restaurant is delicious (trout with pinon nuts, wine, steamed vegetables, etc). Hiking/biking is right in the hotel's backyard. One morning I woke up early, had some Starbucks coffee, went for a hike as the sun came up, then finished up the day with mineral baths and a spa treatment.

Now for the not-so-great stuff:
My room was SO noisy. The door to the hallway had about a 3 inch gap under it, so I heard everything in the hallway. My room adjoined another room, and that door also had a huge gap under it. I felt like I was right in the room with the honeymooners next door, which made for a very embarrassing night.
For some reason the hotel has public bathrooms in the hall (each of the rooms have their own bathroom, so why the public bathrooms?). These were also very noisy.
The hallways reeked of Pine-sol and urine, and occasionally the smell wafted into my room. I payed $109/night for my room, and I feel like that was way too expensive for what I got.

My neighbors, who go often, tell me that the cottages are much more quiet and private.

While dinner at the restaurant is very good, breakfast and lunch are substandard. I think the professional chef must only come out at night.

The mineral baths are very rustic, but that is common in New Mexico. I had a salt massage, and while the massage itself was okay, the spa area was gross. Historically, the place was very interesting and worthwhile--I don't think much has changed there since 1910.

I would probably go again, but I'd stay in a cottage, bring my bike, and skip the spa treatment.

• Stayed July 2004
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank saramun
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2006

I reserved a cabin a month in advance, guaranteed by a credit card. The occasion was my 50th birthday, and I was traveling with a friend all the way from San Francisco, California, expecting a wonderful and special experience. When I arrived, the desk clerk shuffled me aside to tell me that one of their regulars, someone who "spends a lot of money here", had decided to stay over without a reservation and they gave my cabin to her. They arranged for us to stay in a funky motel up on the highway, at our cost. I was very, very upset and disappointed. It ruined my special day. The management of Ojo Caliente is unprofessional and untrustworthy. I would not recommend that anyone take the chance on a reservation here, unless you are one of their favored clients. Apparently, they don't value new clients. Good luck, I'll never be back.

• Stayed April 2006
Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast
Inn at the Delta
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!