“Cozy and affordable”
Review of Taos Trail Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Taos Trail Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Cozy and affordable”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed here on Christmas Eve night and it was a magical experience (it snowed, woke up to a beautiful White Christmas). For a quiet getaway in Ojo Calienete and walking distance to the Mineral Springs Resort without paying the expense of staying there the Taos Trails/Lomita is a perfect option. They are pet friendly, the motel units are clean. The place is decorated quaintly like a country inn with nostalgic western exterior and some antiquities on the interior. For what was once a run down motel this place has its charms. The owners are very accomodating and was made to feel like family during the holidays (they served a wonderful Christmas morning buffet with home cooking). I had a great night's sleep in the clean and comfortable beds. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caphillsea77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 November 2012

was in ojo visiting my mom and was not feeling very well after the drive from my home in chama. the owner was so sweet aloud my dog to stay .the room was so relaxing and comfortable .they also gave me a couple movies to watch .the owner has put her heart into this place and if u are the kind of person who values that u will love it.

Room Tip: this is not a cheep place do stay here if u want new mexico romance for the night.it is worth the mo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Dallas
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This little lodge was the highlight of my road trip. The owners were the perfect hosts. Placing me in one of the newly renovated rooms. By the time I checked in, I was beat, but was warmly welcomed, I put my stuff down and almost didn't want to get back up again because the bed was divine. But I went down the the cafe and they whipped up a meal fit for a king. The steak was delectable. Their hospitality and attention to detail took the cake. I will surely return every time I make my annual trek.

Room Tip: Ask about the renovations!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed in the Albuquerque room which had 2 double beds. The current owners appear to be slowly renovating a once run-down facility. To be fair, we are listing both pros and cons.

PROs
1. Location is excellent just outside the entry to Ojo Caliente Spa.
2. Beds were new and comfortable with very clean linens.
3. Bathroom was roomy with a mini-frig, coffee maker, and a more than adequate supply of towels.
4. Owners were very welcoming and anxious to make guests feel at home.
5. Owner provides a good selection of DVD's free of charge. (TV only plays DVD's - no cable)
6. Motel is pet friendly.
7. There is a nice court yard with a fire pit and wood.

CONS
1. We were unable to get any hot water from the shower after running it for 5 minutes.
2. The shower is a pipe coming from the wall and emits a single jet of cold water.
3. The decor is a mix of grandma's attic and garage sale which is, overall, a bit disturbing.
4. The room was heated with a space heater.
5. The rear of the property is littered with broken furniture, old tools, and other junk.
6. The price of the room seemed high for the lack of amennities.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dhdo1
DENVER
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed here on 9/5/12. Upon arrival, no one was there. Two hours later, someone arrived. The room was scary. Windows broken, an open hole in the back of the cabin, the keys to every room hanging on another cabin door where laundry was stacked to the ceiling. Big and little bugs abounded. It smelled bad. My travel companions were so freaked they ditched me and stayed at Ojo, but my dog prevented me from leaving too. I made it until 1:30, and then, terrified, I called my friends and demanded they come get me. Worst night I've ever had in a hotel. It's right on the highway, and trucks zoom by, or worse, stop for some unknown reason. I sat with my shoes on, and the flashlight in my hand until I couldn't take it any more. The owners are dangerously lax and this place should be shut down.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank JULIE O
Dana K, Public Relations Manager at Taos Trail Inn, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Sorry for your bad experience but at the time you stayed their the new management had just taken over and were in the process of remodeling all the rooms, they needed it badly.
They had been updated for 30 years and you must have gotten one of the old rooms.
The new rooms have had extensive remodel, all the walls, bathrooms, beds and furniture have been replaced with new every thing and no one should have that experience again.
Thank you for your feed back. Public Relations Manager
Linden, Texas
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The pace is so much slower. Solitude. And, the newe owners have done a marvelous job in decorating and upgrading. The difference between what was then and what is now is as a pig is to a prairie dog. They are two totally different animals. The new owners have done an excellent job. I see the Taos Trail and Lomita Lodge as what Durango, Co. was about 50 years ago. There was a great restaurant up there by the name of Sweeney's which years ago had the best steaks in the Western USA. Well, now Taos Trail Inn can lay claim to that honor.

Room Tip: Actually they are all very good. Just pick the one that hits your fancy from their website and go f...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
corona del mar
Reviewed 21 April 2012

loved the host
loved the comfy beds
loved the firepit areas located around the property
WISH the steakhouse had been open but guess I'll have to schedule an encore trip
the thing that made this the most special was all of the funky art and quirky corners filled with treasures.
i actually had an entire itinerary planned out but the gracious inn keeper gave me so many good local adventure tips: earthship compound (off the grid eco houses), hiking the gorge, hiking ghost box ranch...that I ended up spending less time at the spa across the street (Ojo Spa)...and that was a good thing because the spa is okay but NM is gorgeous and I am glad that I spent less time in spa mud and more time hiking in red dirt.
My room was so interesting. the footboard was actually attached to the ceiling above the bed and I think that this helps to illustrate what a different sort of inn this is. There is a visual treat at every turn.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Taos Trail Inn? Share your experiences!