“Valentine's Day Trip”
Review of Taos Trail Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Taos Trail Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We were looking for a place to stay near Ojo Caliente but did not have the $$$ to stay at the Ojo Spa. This place was wonderful!

We loved the room, the owners were very nice to us and the dinner was so well done.

I believe we will be back again and again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 January 2013

If you have a sense of adventure and are enthusiastic about character and individuality, you will love this place. I loved it. The Inn, overall, is a work in progress -- an old place being renovated and re-energized. So some rooms are wonderful and some aren't there yet. I was fortunate enough to have a newly upgraded two-bed room that was eclectic, welcoming, and comfortable. It was mid-October and for my first night, I think I was the only one at the Inn. Each night, the innkeeper came and laid a fire in the firepit in front of my unit and I sat outside in the cozy walled garden area (alone and feeling perfectly peaceful) with a bottle of wine and millions of stars. The tiny restaurant is truly a treat with great food. Looked like mostly locals ate there. They didn't have a liquor license, but are happy for you to bring your own. The Inn is right on the highway, but (at least in the off season) traffic stops almost entirely over night so that was not an issue. And it's convenient to the spa and springs. The owners couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

Room Tip: Don't take a chance; be sure to ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MrsPincheon
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed here on Christmas Eve night and it was a magical experience (it snowed, woke up to a beautiful White Christmas). For a quiet getaway in Ojo Calienete and walking distance to the Mineral Springs Resort without paying the expense of staying there the Taos Trails/Lomita is a perfect option. They are pet friendly, the motel units are clean. The place is decorated quaintly like a country inn with nostalgic western exterior and some antiquities on the interior. For what was once a run down motel this place has its charms. The owners are very accomodating and was made to feel like family during the holidays (they served a wonderful Christmas morning buffet with home cooking). I had a great night's sleep in the clean and comfortable beds. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caphillsea77
Reviewed 5 November 2012

was in ojo visiting my mom and was not feeling very well after the drive from my home in chama. the owner was so sweet aloud my dog to stay .the room was so relaxing and comfortable .they also gave me a couple movies to watch .the owner has put her heart into this place and if u are the kind of person who values that u will love it.

Room Tip: this is not a cheep place do stay here if u want new mexico romance for the night.it is worth the mo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This little lodge was the highlight of my road trip. The owners were the perfect hosts. Placing me in one of the newly renovated rooms. By the time I checked in, I was beat, but was warmly welcomed, I put my stuff down and almost didn't want to get back up again because the bed was divine. But I went down the the cafe and they whipped up a meal fit for a king. The steak was delectable. Their hospitality and attention to detail took the cake. I will surely return every time I make my annual trek.

Room Tip: Ask about the renovations!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed in the Albuquerque room which had 2 double beds. The current owners appear to be slowly renovating a once run-down facility. To be fair, we are listing both pros and cons.

PROs
1. Location is excellent just outside the entry to Ojo Caliente Spa.
2. Beds were new and comfortable with very clean linens.
3. Bathroom was roomy with a mini-frig, coffee maker, and a more than adequate supply of towels.
4. Owners were very welcoming and anxious to make guests feel at home.
5. Owner provides a good selection of DVD's free of charge. (TV only plays DVD's - no cable)
6. Motel is pet friendly.
7. There is a nice court yard with a fire pit and wood.

CONS
1. We were unable to get any hot water from the shower after running it for 5 minutes.
2. The shower is a pipe coming from the wall and emits a single jet of cold water.
3. The decor is a mix of grandma's attic and garage sale which is, overall, a bit disturbing.
4. The room was heated with a space heater.
5. The rear of the property is littered with broken furniture, old tools, and other junk.
6. The price of the room seemed high for the lack of amennities.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dhdo1
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed here on 9/5/12. Upon arrival, no one was there. Two hours later, someone arrived. The room was scary. Windows broken, an open hole in the back of the cabin, the keys to every room hanging on another cabin door where laundry was stacked to the ceiling. Big and little bugs abounded. It smelled bad. My travel companions were so freaked they ditched me and stayed at Ojo, but my dog prevented me from leaving too. I made it until 1:30, and then, terrified, I called my friends and demanded they come get me. Worst night I've ever had in a hotel. It's right on the highway, and trucks zoom by, or worse, stop for some unknown reason. I sat with my shoes on, and the flashlight in my hand until I couldn't take it any more. The owners are dangerously lax and this place should be shut down.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank JULIE O
Dana K, Public Relations Manager at Taos Trail Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Sorry for your bad experience but at the time you stayed their the new management had just taken over and were in the process of remodeling all the rooms, they needed it badly.
They had been updated for 30 years and you must have gotten one of the old rooms.
The new rooms have had extensive remodel, all the walls, bathrooms, beds and furniture have been replaced with new every thing and no one should have that experience again.
Thank you for your feed back. Public Relations Manager

Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)

Been to Taos Trail Inn? Share your experiences!