I came to Ojo Caliente wanting to experience the springs, but the accompanying hotel was a bit outside my budget. Enter the Taos Trail Inn, which had good pricing and was just down the road. I wrote and got a prompt reply that the Taos room was available. I was told I'd get a call the next day to get my CC info to book. That call never came. I started calling myself but kept getting voicemail messages. At last I reached them and got my room booked a few weeks out.
Preferred check-in times were told to be between 3 and 6, so I high-tailed it from Mesa Verde and feared I'd be slightly late so I called - voicemail, no surprise. I rolled in at 6:20 and it appeared to be no big deal whatsoever - I am not sure they heard my message, even. A friendly guy toured my room with me and gave me some sightseeing advice for Santa Fe that I put to use. I originally felt I was put on the spot when he asked what I was going to be doing (thinking he was coercing me to come to the attached restaurant) but I saw that wasn't the case. They appear to be pretty laid back, as the voicemail suggests.
So enough about that - the room has rustic red-light charm, and they're obviously putting some love into the rooms. There's a nice patio outside, which I used to do some stargazing in peace during the night. No breakfast offered, which was a relief to me since I needed to get on the road early, but they left a large bag of coffee which I put to good use. Lastly, it's billed as walkable from the springs, and at a half-mile that's true - but I drove just to make it easy.
I was glad I booked here, but know that their time flows a bit different than yours. But there's something that can be learned from that, perhaps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly Remodeled!!! New Owners!!! Affordable lodging in Ojo Caliente, NM, the Taos Trail Inn offers a friendly staff, comfortable beds, rooms with a real feel of Northern New Mexico and a restaurant and brewery on site.Located within a 1/3 of a mile to the mineral springs and walking distance to no less than 4 restaurants and shops.Agree with old reviews the place really needed the total renovation it has now. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Taos Trail Inn & Lomita Hotel Ojo Caliente
- Taos Trail Inn And Lomita Lodge
- Lomita Hotel Ojo Caliente
- Lomita Motel Ojo Caliente
- Taos Trail Inn Ojo Caliente, New Mexico