“fantastic”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Black Mesa Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Ojo Caliente B&B and Inns
Amsterdam
“fantastic”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Accomodations were charming & romantic. Hospitality welcoming.
Breakfast was beyond compare!
just ask them to heat the hot spring well in advance. a bit warmish, rather than hot.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank susintheworld

Families
Solo
Business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I was only at Black Mesa B&B for one night in September, but it was such a wonderful last day on my trip! The hosts are amazing people! Lara is a fabulous cook & Randall knows how to tell a great story. I am already making plans to return! This is a great place to unwind in a non-fussy environment & comfortable atmosphere, rich with history.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brindle L
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We were so excited to stay at this B&B, which looks wonderful from everything you can see on their website. The owner seemed very nice on the phone, was flexible, and gave good directions to get there.

When we arrived, we noticed that the entire property seemed a bit run-down, cluttery, and we couldn't find the front entrance and should have been apprehensive when greeted by a big hairy dog. Upon touring the property, we grew more and more uncomfortable. The main house was basically clean, just loaded with an eclectic mix of furnishings and decor, and felt like we'd be staying with somebody's crazy aunt instead of a professional innkeeper. The private bathhouse was next on the tour; piles of dirt, wood scraps, tools, an old surfboard (in New Mexico?? What??) and all manner of cast-off stuff was stashed in weird places - and we thought it was a little bit strange that there was a hinged "In Use" sign on the door - kind of dark and cellar-esque. We chose to stay in the guest house as we thought it would be less full of dog hair and dander. The guest house could be cool, if it were kept up at all. The floors were dirty, the walls badly in need of a coat of paint, the furniture and linens looked like Goodwill cast-offs... and the final straw was when my husband peeled back the horrific peach chiffon comforter on the bed to reveal a dingy, pilled-up blanket that we think used to be yellow, covered in dog hair and pubic hairs. Gross. We fled and immediately felt relieved.
I'm sure they're nice people, but we were on a weekend getaway and we didn't want to feel like we were camping.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vikinggoddess
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 January 2008

My husband and I just spent New Year's Eve here. We choose it for its location near the Ojo Caliente hot springs and because, unlike Ojo, it is dog-friendly and we wanted to bring our pooch. It's a charming old house with just two guest rooms, so it feels like staying in someone's home. The owners, Lara and Randy, are very nice. We had the suite, which has a sitting room and bedroom with king-size bed. The bed was very comfy and had several blankets plus a down comforter. The sitting room has a daybed so you could put a child in there, or two friends could use the suite and each have their own room. This is an old house that originally had no bathrooms upstairs, so the bathrooms were added on by the current owners. There obviously wasn't much room to do it, as the bathroom in the suite is very tiny, with just a toilet and stall shower; the sink is in the sitting room. This was not a problem for us, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone has a thing for big bathrooms. Also a fair warning to tall people: The ceiling in the bathroom shower is very low. I'm 5 foot 2 and if I had been just a few inches taller, I don't think I would have been able to stand up straight. (Such are the quirks of old houses!) I did get to peek into the other guest room, which is a nice size and has a queen bed and balcony. (I forgot to look at the bathroom.) The upstairs, where the guest rooms are, also has its own living room with an enormous selection of books and videos.

Tea and cookies were waiting for us when we arrived. Then we used the soaking pool, which is located in a separate building. Robes and slippers are provided. Dinner is available for $30 a person so we chose this option. Lara likes to cook and will accommodate dietary needs. We were very pleased with our meal which included freshly baked bread and champagne later in the evening. Breakfast is of course included with the room, and consisted of a huge (and very tasty) plate of food with eggs, potatoes, fruit, muffin and sausage (or tofu for the non-meat eaters).

There is a huge portale (like a wraparound porch, or what's called a veranda in the south) and a gazebo, both of which would be great for reading and hanging out in the nicer weather. If you're an experienced hiker the mesa is right behind the house. (Watch out for the cactus.)

All in all, we got just what we were looking for--a relaxed and mellow evening in a comfortable environment. At the time of our stay the rate was $120, which I thought was a good deal.
I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed December 2007
3 Thank ChelseaGirl98

Been to Black Mesa Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!