“Mixed feelings…”

Sky City Cultural Center & Haak'u Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Sky City Cultural Center and Haak’u Museum, rich in cultural architecture, serves as the reception center and museum for visitors to the Pueblo of Acoma, as well as a research and community use facility for tribal members. The primary 40,000 square foot Cultural Center is a two story structure with a basement and central courtyard/plaza area. The Cultural Center was designed to represent and recreate the ancestral architectural styles of the Acoma people – which include natural stacked stone and natural mud plastered adobe – while showcasing Acoma Pueblo architecture both past and present. This world class facility is dedicated to the preservation of Acoma history, traditional pottery and other art forms, the repatriation of objects of cultural patrimony and the development of both educational and interpretive programs.
Hermosa Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings…”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was excited to visit this Pueblo and learn a little more about Acoma people. After taking great deal of time to plan my husbands birthday weekend in Albuquerque, this stop was high on our list. The cultural center and tour were informative and engaging, however I was mostly disappointed with Pueblo's inconsistent policies. When I arrived to purchase our tour tickets, I was told that I needed to change my shirt (I was wearing a sleeveless shirt) out of respect for the elders along the tour. After driving an hour from my hotel, I didn't have a change of clothes but was told I could buy a $30 t-shirt from their gift shop. I was furious because I had done my research and there was no information about a specific dress code. To add insult to injury, I noticed three other women walking around with sleeveless shirts on such as mine. When I approached one of them, she stated that no one said anything to them about what she was wearing. I assumed the other women were not told about the sleeveless policy as they were boarding and getting off tour buses wearing sleeveless shirts in plain view of many Cultural Center employees. While on the tour, I noticed that one of the natives had her shirt rolled up exposing her arms. I hate to bring race into the conversation, but it was not lost on me (and the woman I approached) that the other women who were allowed to wear their sleeveless shirts were White. So why was I (the only Black person touring the cultural center) asked to change my clothes? When I mentioned this inconsistency to one of the employees, he joked that the rule was a way of making me buy one of their t-shirts. I wasn't amused and wanted to say that if the Pueblo had wanted me to spend money, I would have felt inclined to spend more if I hadn't been forced to follow a rule that they don't enforce with their other patrons. Unfortunately, a powerful cultural experience was tainted. From reading the other reviews, it seems as if the administration does a poor job of updating the public on their policies and changes in their schedule. Travel at your own risk.

6 Thank lo5ree
SkyCity_C_C, Director at Sky City Cultural Center & Haak'u Museum, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
lo5ree, thank you for your review and for taking the time to comment. I am glad that your tour was engaging and informative. I will re-address our policies with my staff to ensure that each and everyone of them is consistent with telling our guests on what our policy is on dress. I will also review our information on our dress code on our website to ensure it is also consistent with what we tell our guests. I apologize for my staff for making you feel like you were singled out, I don't think that was their intention. Again, thank you for your comments and if you have any other questions or comments please email: friends@skycity.com.

Crestview, Florida, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great educational tour and experience!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Sky City Cultural Center and tour of the Acoma Pueblos is an excellent way to spend a day near Albuquerque. It is extremely educational, interesting, an its natural beauty is phenomenal! The tour guide was very informative and friendly, as was everyone else we meet while there. Additionally, you have a chance to view and buy some beautiful Indian jewelry and poetry.

Visited July 2014
SkyCity_C_C, Director at Sky City Cultural Center & Haak'u Museum, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Jim S, Thank you for your review and I am glad you took the time to spend the day with us! Not rushing the visit is a good way to take in the whole experience.We look forward to welcoming you again to Sky City!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Closed”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Drove 2 hours out of our way on June 29 to visit but they were closed. No notice on website or on outgoing phone message.

6 Thank Vladislav N
SkyCity_C_C, Director at Sky City Cultural Center & Haak'u Museum, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Vladislav N, I'm sorry that we were closed during your visit. We do have our annual closures posted on our website and also on the Calendar on the site. I will have my staff update the phone message to announce our closure dates. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you consider coming back in the near future.
NM USA
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“History, Culture, Natural Beauty”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The drive in to Sky City past Enchanted Mesa on NM23 is beautiful. The visitor center has seen major improvements since I was last at Acoma over a decade ago. The facilities are beautifully designed and include a small shop, cafe and museum with wonderful examples of Acoma pottery.
The 1.5 hour tour is $20 for seniors and that includes a camera pass (no pictures allowed in the mission church/cemetery and you must ask the locals if you want to take their pictures). There is a short bus ride to the top of the mesa -take water with you, wear a hat, bring sunscreen!
Our tour guide was informative, humorous and took care to answer questions. It is a remarkable site, steeped in the history of native peoples and European conquest.
Several vendors are located along the tour path if you want to purchase the local pottery or crafts. There is one location to purchase water on the mesa. You can walk down or take the bus back to the visitor center - the walk takes about 15 minutes, the path is steep.
I'll definetely be back.

2 Thank tjstjs
tjstjs, Thank you for visiting our pueblo and for your review. I am glad to hear that you plan on coming back and I hope it is during one of our feast days so you can experience more of our way of life, bring your family and friends! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Greeneville, Tennessee
“Question???”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I am going to visit Acoma in a few days. My family is kind of poor. I have read in this tour book that it cost $10 to take still pictures. I was wondering if I had to take the toor guide. Is there another way and or option my family could do? Thank you! I will be sure to review as soon as I leave!

Visited June 2014
hurricanedani, We certainly look forward to your visit! The Admission fee includes the following: a guided walking tour, admission to our museum and a camera permit, this camera permit is good throughout the reservation. If you have further questions please email friends@skycity.com