“Welcoming owner”

and 1 more site!
Hearts Desire Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Raton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed here on a Sunday while on a road trip. I chose the inn because I did not want to stay in a hotel, and I love bed and breakfast establishments. Barbara was very welcoming when I arrived in the early afternoon, and after settling in (incidentally, she graciously let me store some food in her fridge) we had a nice chat while she fed me petit fours and tea (HUGE selection of tea, BTW). The inn also doubles as a vintage/antique store, so just be aware that the entire house is filled with knickknacks, some more valuable and breakable than others. Having said that, I did not mind the clutter although some may feel a touch of claustrophobia.

I stayed in the Victorian Room, which has a sink in the room and a shower housed in what was probably a former closet. I would have preferred the space be given over to a private toilet, but since I was the only person in the inn that night, I didn't have to share the toilet in the hall bathroom (which was just outside the room). The facilities were clean, but the room itself could have used a good dusting; I suspect the problem is that there are so many things -- did I mention that the room had more than a dozen vintage hats lining the walls? -- that a thorough dusting probably doesn't take place that often.

Barbara had to be at her school early, so she left a delicious breakfast in the kitchen for me to heat up, and I helped myself to juice and tea. She does have a "back-up" innkeeper who could have been on hand to serve the breakfast, but I didn't think she needed to go through the trouble for just one person. Over all, a cool house with a kind and personable innkeeper, both reasons enough for a return visit.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank toesmalone

Reviewed 30 June 2011

If you imagine a B&B to have Victorian furniture and floral decorations, you've just imagined the Hearts Desire. The inn was cozy and clean. We enjoyed soaking in the claw-foot tub upstairs, but found the bed in the Victorian Suite to be a little uncomfortable. (I'm 5'10" and my feet were hanging off.) Barbara was quite welcoming and served a great breakfast of peach waffles, with whipped cream and cinnamon on top!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ambiggers
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We have stayed at Heart's Desire twice, and have had a wonderful experience each time. The house is lovely and comfy, and Barbara Riley is a delightful person and cooks a wonderful breakfast to boot!
On our last trip, we had trouble with our rental car on a weekend when no service was available. At our wit's end, we called Barbara, who was happy to travel across town and pick up us and our belongings in a driving rainstorm. In addition, she used her local contacts to help get us back on the road at a time when all of the repair shops were closed. Thank you so much, Barbara! We can't wait until our next opportunity to visit Heart's Desire B&B!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank MacEgel
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We took our High School shooting team to NRA Whittington Center to compete. This was a very expensive trip (fuel, lodging, entry fee's etc.). The team and parents worked real hard raising the money for the trip (every expense was accounted for). Because of the length of time the team was going to be in Raton we attempted to locate a house to rent. We discovered Hearts Desire and called Barbara the owner. She was so nice only had two rooms available for the first few nights but said she would allow the team to bed down on sleeping bags air matresses etc. She was so willing to accomadate. Called her the week before to get an invoice for the charges, she emailed the invoice. When I arrived four days after the team got there she came down the side walk very loudly stating we had a problem that I owed her more money!! I asked her for what and she said I didnt get enough rooms for the team. I advised her that we rented all the rooms she had available. (Many phone calls between her and I and one other parent who assisted with the plans). She stated she couldnt have the two parents sleeping on the floor after traveling that distance (the boys were to sleep on the floor not the parents she knew this was our plans). I advised her if she would have told us she had extra rooms we would have prepared financially rented them. She was so unreasonable I asked her why she was so hostle and she would only say " you owe me more money and your'e going to pay me now". I advised her if she gave the parents a room out of the goodness of her heart that was on her and if they got the room it was on them not me. She stated you made the reservation and you are going to pay me!! " Bottom line..she had cancelations used that vacancy to put up the two parents that were traveling with the team and wanted to charge and additional $296.00!! She stated she accomadated NRA competitors before and had no problem with the boys staying in her home. After they arrived she had a problem with them walking around in the house because of the age of the house every step made a noise! She had antiques in the up stairs where the boys stayed...lamps that she valued at $1000. The boys were very uncomfortable and then she ruined everyones trip by coming up with this additional room charge and attacking me verbally out on the street. She caused alot of friction and made it very uncomfortable for everyone to stay for the remainder of the week. The boys did say that the breakfast she prepared was very good. I'm sure this would be a great place for a couple or single traveler but not for a shooting team. This was a hearts nightmare!!

• Stayed: July 2009
barbarasr_13, Owner at Hearts Desire Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

This review was unfortunate as the writer never stayed at our B $ B. We did however take in more than a dozen teenage boys and their sponsors at a reduced rate as they had asked for help in making their trip possible. They were all very nice, enjoyed a hearty breakfast each morning at 5:00 a.m. and never expressed any problems.

Reviewed 8 August 2009

We took our High School shooting team to NRA Whittington Center to compete. This was a very expensive trip (fuel, lodging, entry fee's etc.). The team and parents worked real hard raising the money for the trip (every expense was accounted for). Because of the length of time the team was going to be in Raton we attempted to locate a house to rent. We discovered Hearts Desire and called Barbara the owner. She was so nice only had two rooms available for the first few nights but said she would allow the team to bed down on sleeping bags air matresses etc. She was so willing to accomadate. Called her the week before to get an invoice for the charges, she emailed the invoice. We had a check made out for the exact amount. When I arrived four days after the team got there she came down the side walk very loudly stating we had a problem that I owed her more money!! I asked her for what and she said I didnt get enough rooms for the team. I advised her that we rented all the rooms she had available. (Many phone calls between her and I and one other parent who assisted with the plans). She stated she couldnt have the two parents sleeping on the floor after traveling that distance (the boys were to sleep on the floor not the parents). I advised her if she would have told us she had extra rooms we would prepared financially and rented them. She was so unreasonable I asked her why she was so hostle and she would only say " you owe me more money and your'e going to pay me now". I advised her if she gave the parents a room out of the goodness of her heart that was on her and if they got the room it was on them not me. She stated you made the reservation and you are going to pay me!! " Bottom line..she had cancelations used that vacancy to put up the two parents that were traveling with the team and wanted to charge an additional $296.00!! She stated she accomadated NRA competitors before and had no problem with the boys staying in her home. After they arrived she had a problem with them walking around in the house because of the age of the house every step made a noise! She had antiques in the up stairs where the boys stayed...lamps that she valued at $1000. The boys were very uncomfortable and then she ruined everyones trip by coming up with this additional room charge and attacking me verbally out on the street. She caused alot of friction and made it very uncomfortable for everyone to stay for the remainder of the week. The boys did say that the breakfast she prepared was very good. I'm sure this would be a great place for a couple or single traveler but not for a shooting team. This was a hearts nightmare!!

This is a duplicate of a negative review that was already posted on the same date.

Reviewed 4 January 2006

Well, I know that there isn't much information about this place on the web, but we decided to take a chance and try it anyway. We were so thrilled to find out that Hearts Desire was a wonderful and charming B&B. I highly recommend that you consider staying there instead of going to a hotel. The price was less than the local Holiday Inn and I'm sure it was much nicer. We stayed in the Victorian room and it was very cozy. Our hostess was super friendly and quite the cook. Breakfast was a real treat!! It's a 3 story Victorian home that was built in the late 1800's. Since we stayed in December the whole house was beautifully decorated for Christmas. It's such a lovely place and I hope that you will try it. We plan to stay there every time we travel to NM. Top Notch!!!

• Stayed: December 2005