Budget Host Melody Lane Motel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$117
US$78
US$75
US$91
US$88
Raton Pass Inn(Raton)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$68
Travelocity
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewssteam showerthe main dragthe great reviewsroom was cleanplace to staythe north endquiet locationolder placewater pressurecontinental breakfastpositive reviewsoff the beaten pathchain hotelsroad tripwi finew carpetnight's sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We went up last weekend with plans to camp in Raton, however we were rained out. So, we needed to find a motel that would accommodate all three of our groups and our 4 dogs. The Budget Host popped up as highly rated, inexpensive, and pet friendly when I did a quick search on my phone. When we showed up, the staff was very very friendly and eager to help. Our room was spacious and super clean, and the common areas were very well kept as well. We enjoyed free toast, muffins, coffee, and cereal the next morning, as well as the steam shower and the large vanity area. It was also nice to be close to the main drag with access to restaurants like BBQ Elevated (which was also delightful). We love to camp in Raton, and if we ever get rained out again, the Budget Host will be our Plan B.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank crabistic
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed at this motor inn before in 2012. Had an excellent experience. It was managed by a very accommodating host named Tim. Rooms were clean and a very good value. I had recommended this Motel to many people.
I understand these days you get what you pay for. I have traveled the world, stayed in every type of accommodation. Never have I been so offended to write a review of anything.
I stayed for 4 nights Aug. of 2013. The management staff and cleaning staff at the Budget Inn in 2013 is terrible. Room is not clean (I cannot get myself to share some of the things I witnessed, sorry). The Staff is inexperienced and is not accustom to what the majority of Americans expect from even a low budget motel!!
When traveling with heavy or large amounts of gear it is very nice to have your vehicle so close to the room. This is the nicest thing I can say about this motel in 2013 under the new management staff.
I will not return under the new management.

Room Tip: Choose a different Motel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank NBKRange
Reviewed 26 July 2013

What an awesome find. I stayed in Raton for a week on business. When I looked online for a motel I knew I wanted to avoid the interstate hotels. I was interested in cheap price and a clean comfortable room--that is usually hard to find right by an interstate so I always look for places "in town". I sure am glad I found this place. The reviews were good and they were right. This motel was built and had its first heyday prior to the construction of the US interstate highway system. So, this is of the same 1950s vintage era as famous Route 66.

When I first pulled up I'll admit I almost turned away and went somewhere else. It sort of looked strange on approaching it as it had the 50s look and was in a residential neighborhood. Glad I decided to follow the reviews and so I checked in. I immediately noticed that the office was clean and organized. I was greeted by an articulate young man who I would later learn was the new owner of the motel. Apparently he has owned it for a bout 5 or 6 months. The motel has two sections, one by the office and the other across the street. He put me in a room in the building across the street from the motel, which was an excellent choice. Each room has a reserved parking slot near the door so no worries about coming in late and not being able to park nearby. The room was super clean and excellently maintained. The coolest part about it was that the bathrooms were equipped with steam saunas. These were vintage "Thermasol Steam Bath" system (called "Steam Shower by the motel) that still work! There is a steam timer on the wall that you set that shunts hot steam into the shower. The shower itself is totally enclosed and so it gets enveloped by the steam. You can sit down and chill out in a sauna in your very own room. One of the other vintage touches about this motel is an old bandstand dance area outside the motel office. Given the old name of the motel "Melody Lane", my guess is that back in the 50s they used to have some kind of live entertainment for the guests.
One of the only problems with the room was that the internet signal was week. Since I was there on business the owner moved me to another room by the office. It was just as clean and well maintained as the first (but lacked the steam shower). The owner was working on getting a booster so that internet reaches to the other building. I have no doubt he will have the situation rectified soon. He seems like he is doing whatever he can to make the motel as good as possible for his guests. I noticed a comment in one of the other reviews about the beds. I'll admit that in my first room one side of the king bed was bowed. But, in the other room both beds seemed new and were very comfortable. So, perhaps the owner is in the processes of changing out the beds.
If you are passing through Raton and looking for an inexpensive, comfortable, and interesting place to stay, I highly recommend the Raton Budget Host melody Lane Motel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Cantfinda
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The motel is clean and comfortable, but for the money you can do better. I was on a motorcycle trip, so I like being able to step out the door and have my bike right there. The location at the end of the main drag near a neighborhood is great and very quiet. If you are over 6' tall, do not get a room with a steam bath. You will not fit in the shower. The breakfast was basically non-existant. The main issue I had was the horrible wi-fi coverage. I specifically chose places to stay this week that offered wi-fi/internet because I had work which needed to be completed. I was never able to connect to their wi-fi. The next time I am in Raton I will spend a few more dollars and stay at a national chain.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jasont812
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Very clean 50s style motel on the main street in Raton. Most furnishings have been updated, bathroom was exceptionally clean, however the mattresses on the beds are not comfortable, they are old and very hard. Parking is directly in front of each room so be ready to be awakened by those staying in rooms nearby loading and starting their vehicles to get an early start on the day. The free breakfast was OK, but not much selection, toast and cereal and a few muffins. The family who own the motel are very friendly.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good. Though the motel faces a main street there is very little traffic after dark so it is not noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple