“A Pleasant Venue”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Rio Rancho
Reviewed 20 July 2011

OVERVIEW: as with all of my reviews, I rate the property to similar area facilities not class of hotel in one area vs. same class in another area.

Located in close proximity to Intel, the 2 story walk up, internal hall property (read no elevator) is an older updated facility. Approximately 40 rooms /floor. Pool and breakfast. Parking is outside, on the property. Nearby within walking distance facilities; a pizza restaurant, Appleby’s and a small strip center. Many other facilities located a short drive away. All hotel premises are smoke free. Pet rooms must be reserved at an additional charge.

THE GOOD: Reservations and front desk were excellent in all respects. Public areas of the hotel are small and functional. Rooms are well insulated. Hotel was full and I never heard other occupants. Had the room close to the main stairwell and ice maker..no noise. Continental breakfast served in lobby at 6 a.m. Real glasses in rooms. Coke and ice machine on second floor. Small microwave and fridge, iron and board, radio alarm clock and appox 32” tv with 75+ channel cable.

THE BAD: No elevator, or baggage cart. Stairs are an easy climb. Bathrooms are on the small size. Breakfast room can fill up in a hurry.

THE UGLY: None noted.

IRRITANTS OR VERY MINOR ISSUES: Minimal message pad by phones.

TIPS: There are several fire doors in the hallways. Although they are soft close a constant opening/closing could be noisy. Might want to prop open the door to cut down on noise if this were a factor.

BOTTOM LINE: Although the hotel is an older property it has been updated and is in great shape. All of the local hotels were full and this was the only available property. No complaints whatsoever. Staff is both helpful and eager to assist guests.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Texas George

Reviewed 9 July 2011

One thing I hate about hotels when I travel is the zombified staff. Most places I've been to have staff that act like oppressed.slaves that hate dealing with you. But when I went to this Comfort Inn, I was really blown away with the upbeat front desk clerks. The day I went, the hotel was nearly sold out and the only person working was a tall, white, bald guy. Although the phone was ringing off the hook, and he was sweating from constantly running up and down stairs, he went out of his way to offer me directions to my work, got me some food although it was after breakfast, gave me recommendations to bars & restaurants in the area, and made sure I was happy with my room. He was doing so many things and was so friendly and professional that I thought he was a manager, but found out later he was only a clerk. I continued to have similar interactions with the rest of the workers and was really amazed by it. This place also gives free passes to a full gym next to them, which I loved because I never get to work out from traveling so much. Only problems I had was the room wasn't as clean as I would hope--dust on the AC and there was a candy bar wrapper behind the nightstand-- and they ran out of pool towels. I don't think I'll be traveling to Rio Rancho again, but would absolutely stay here again if I do.

Room Tip: Hotel doesn't have an elevator, dryer, or washer.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2011

On a recent trip to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, we had many choices of hotels to stay at – we decided to use the promotion of Choice Hotels of ‘stay two separate times and get one free night’. We used this promotion in the past and found this a great deal. We especially enjoy staying at Cambria Suites.

We were told because of a misunderstanding in our profile, we are not going to qualify for two free nights because we are ‘set up’ to receive Southwest points. We tried to fix this misunderstanding on the phone and by email and this has not worked to our satisfaction; therefore we are writing to you to see if you can assist us in this matter.

We are missing 3 stays on our profile online. Our most recent stays at the Cambria Suites in Plainfield, Indiana and the Comfort Inn at Little Rock, Arkansas are not listed on our profile. Our stay at Rio Rancho, New Mexico is not credited. We also sent this information to a ‘Clinton P’ (see enclosed letter to ‘Clinton P). We have reported this twice online.

Other than the hotel in Little Rock, we found the hotels to be accommodating and clean; especially the Cambria Suites in Madison, Wisconsin and Plainfield, Indiana. In Little Rock, we were put in a room that smelled like smoke and the desk personnel were uncaring and curt. We also were told we would be within walking distance of down town, but it certainly is not in walking distance. The rooms also are run down and not up to par and the neighborhood is not a very good one (and we know as we live in the Detroit area).

We had the option of staying at Best Western properties, with the same deal; but we chose Choice Hotels.

In the past, my husband was a Hilton Gold member for his travels for work. We are now traveling for vacations and visiting relatives. We would like to continue staying at Choice Hotels.

We stayed at Best Westerns and Holiday Inns on our recent 34 day trip. We stayed at hotels for about 25 days. We selected Choice Hotels at more than half of our trip. We will continue to stay at Choice Hotel properties and recommend them to our friends and family members, but will not do so if our stays are not honored and we are not given our two free nights as expected. WE ARE NOT STAYING AT CHOICE HOTELS ANY LONGER.

Every Choice Hotel we stayed at, we told the desk person that we were staying to ‘earn our free night’. None of these persons ever said - ‘oh no, it says on your description that you are registered for Southwest points; not for our stay two separate times and earn one free night promotion’. We also talked to customer service persons a few times on the phone to make sure we earned our points for that promotion. We never were told we were getting airline points instead of points toward a free night.

We registered online 2 times for the stay two different times get one free night. That is why we stayed at choice hotels.

We thought the airline points were extra. Every time we stayed we told the desk person we were doing the award night and were never told differently.

This is totally unacceptable. We do not need our want airline points. We would like our two free nights as we stayed at Choice Hotels for five separate stays in the qualifying period.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We were on a family vacation and stayed in a total of 7 hotels-all Comfort Inns. This was our first hotel of our trip and we were a little afraid after staying here that our other hotels might turn out the same. Thankfully, this hotel proved to be the only one we had problems with. The room was a little small-no big deal, but after walking around in the room with just socks on, I realized that our socks were very dirty. From that point on, I wouldn't let my kids take their shoes off-the floor was very dirty. The other major problem I found was the swimming area. I looked up at the ceiling, and there were big holes in the ceiling with some stuff that had fallen into the pool. It was truly disgusting and looked like a bomb had gone off in the ceiling. This is the one hotel of our trip that we would not come back to. I don't like the feeling of being dirty when I stay in a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Karies
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Moving across the country with our dog and a filled car. Heard that Albuquerque has a lot of sketchy neighborhoods so after searching online for dog friendly hotels, found this one in rio rancho. It was great! We arrived around 10pm without a reservation and the woman at the front desk was extremely helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. Loved the free wifi. The towels were nice too- didn't feel like sandpaper when I got out of the shower. The bathroom is tiny so if you're staying for awhile, it will bs tight. The parking lot was well lit and felt safe since we had a kayak on the car. Thanks to all the great reviews on tripadvisor for steering to this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We've stayed a few times over the past 5 years, and the hotel is definitely showing its age. The rooms are still okay but with a few signs of mildew, recaulking, paint blemishes. However, beware of the pool area. The ceiling has multiple large spots of sheetrock and paint hanging down from moisture damage, as if at any moment a big chunk could fall into the pool. Also, the pool water was not heated well--very cold.
That said, the front desk staff is remarkably professional.
Other good things of note: warm cookie upon check-in, free WIFI, mini-fridge in the room, 2 complimentary bottles of water in the room, comfortable queen beds, loudish cooler/fan; standard continental breakfast; no elevator, just 2 floors and stairs (which we didn't mind).
Would probably rate it 4 if it weren't for the pool.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2011

great price and value. very clean. staff was very nice. manager on duty was so nice he went out of his way and bought us flowers. thanks for the great memorable trip

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
La Quinta Inn & Suites Albuquerque Journal Ctr NW
Comfort Inn & Suites North
Comfort Inn & Suites North
#45 of 144 in Albuquerque

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!