“Average, sort of”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rio Rancho
So. Cal.
“Average, sort of”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

The hotel is about average for a moderately priced hotel but not what I expected from a Hilton property. We booked 4 nights through a booking service so we got a cheaper rate but because of that, I think we got a less desirable room (2nd floor, end of hall, back side, no view at all.). When we arrived, we needed a cart to get our luggage up to our room, after a ten minute wait, I was told that they didn't know where the cart was so I had to make 4 trips back and forth to my truck to get our luggage. When we stay in hotels, we typically request no maid service and have never had a problem with this until now. We were rudely told that this was impossible that it is hotel policy to clean the rooms at least every other day, so we let the maid in on the second day and sat there while she cleaned the room. The bathtub drained slow and the toilet didn't work very well. We didn't find the staff to be particularly friendly or helpful. We were shocked to find that they charge for local phone calls, I thought that absurd practice died out 20 years ago. En route to Albuquerque, we stayed at a Best Western for the same price and got a nicer room and a free hot breakfast. We won't be using this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel instead of a booking service and pay full price. Don't expect many...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Hilton Garden Inns are usually our hotel preference but this time we were wrong. We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. I actually was a disappointed that this Garden Inn did not live up to the name I am accustomed to. Reservations were made months in advance. The room (110) we checked into did have a personalized welcome letter (because we're HHonors members) but the 97 degree temp in the room was not so welcoming. Staff must have noticed the heat difference when they "set up" the room and didn't care to do anything about it. Within 5 minutes of entering the room I went to the front desk to inform the clerk & ask for a door stop to get some air flow thinking it was just a fluke thing--he couldn't help and seemed peeved that we complained. He was never very friendly at any point. I attempted to work with the A/C but no luck & asked to be moved; we were moved next door. This room was average, with poor pillows. We were locked out of our room twice and had to get the card keys re-keyed by the front desk. The most appalling concern of our stay was when we came back from a long day out, I went to freshen up and noticed that housekeeping had hung soiled towels and wash cloths for use. I had no idea if they were our old towels or someone else’s. When I presented the concern to the front desk, the clerk (same guy) seemed agitated that we would even be bothered by dirty towels. One morning, the pool area was locked and we had to visit the front desk for entry because our key didn't work. The pool area was out of towels & again had to go to the front desk. Pool & hot tub were run down with chipping paint & unclean surfaces. The business/computer area did not have working printers and was cramped.
We were very disappointed with this so-called Hilton property. I would compare the service and amenities to a 1 star property--certainly not Hilton grade!

Pros: Quiet room, convenient location

Plainfield, United States
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Visited my Sister in New Mexico and was looking for a Hotel when my sister mentioned the Hilton Garden Inn. Fantastic Experience, clean, updated rooms and very friendly staff. I have stayed in many Hotels in my day's and this Hilton for the money was one of the Best!

Aloha,OR, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2013

OK place especially if on a business trip but nothing special or interesting to make this hotel standout from others. Sits near a large intel facility and likely services this crowd more than others. Nothing worth visiting near by and if planning to be a tourist then a downtown hotel will likely be a better choice.

Manitowoc, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The hotel was easy to find and the staff very friendly when we arrived. The room was clean and well maintained. We had no problems during the stay. Even with the arrival of at least one high school softball team for a tournament, the staff handled breakfast quite well. The only detail to mar the visit was a very faint, lingering smell of smoke at the entrance of the room, as if they had a guest that had smoked at one time.

California
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Not sure what's going on at this hotel but it needs a good shake up. Our room was not serviced on one of the days of our 3 day stays. I visited the front desk 3 times to personally request service and felt that I was a hindrance to the Receptionist. Eventually, 4 bath towels were delivered to my room late at night and the trash was emptied but no cleaning or bed making. When I explained that this was not satisfactory, I was told nothing could be done as Housekeeping had gone for the day. I had first advised of the problem around 2pm. There was no Manager on duty on Saturday night nor on Sunday morning when I tried to resolve the problem again. I eventually emailed both the corporate office and local manager. The corporate did respond refunding a night's stay. However, the Local Manager, Charlotte has not responded which is disappointing. The breakfast buffet was good value however, there was just one poor young girl who trying to take orders, deliver orders, bus tables, ring up bills, etc. all at the same time. The hotel seemed to be completely full and so the breakfast area was chaotic and was running out of food . We gave up and ate next door at the Village Inn. Don't plan on returning ever!

1 Thank DaisyDora
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions over the past seven months. The service on all our stays has been excellent. The rooms are quiet and we rarely heard any one in the next room or halls. When arriving in our room, each time, we have felt welcome and comfortable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Rancho
Hampton Inn & Suites Albuquerque North/I-25
Comfort Inn & Suites North
Comfort Inn & Suites North
#52 of 144 in Albuquerque

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque North/Rio Rancho? Share your experiences!