“Disappointing”
Review of Red Onion Restaurant - CLOSED

Red Onion Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I liked the name of the place and I liked the interior - a full-on red that gave the inside an intriguing kick. But things went down from there.

The chips were pretty good. However, the salsa was strong on the tomato and not much else. The chiles rellenos seemed microwaved, with the battered coating kind of soggy. There was melted cheese inside, but really, not much flavor overall. The accompanying red sauce, also not particularly flavorful. The rice tasted better than most rice I've had in New Mexico. The beans - delicious.

If my experience above had been all I had to write about, then I'd have given the restaurant three stars.

But:

I should have learned my lesson from another experience in New Mexico, but hopefully this most recent experience does the trick: Check the prices for beverages before ordering. Sorry, $2.50 for a soda - ridiculous! And to have a note on the menu that you'll be charged additional if you ask for a to-go cup to take with?!

There was a problem with the lettuce - looked unappetizing, old, wilted - had the kind of appearance where the server should have kicked it back to the kitchen and not served it (not to mention the kitchen shouldn't have plated it). Also, the bathroom - no toilet paper. Neither of these two issues alone would have dropped my rating down to two stars. Nope, it was the cashier's response to my letting her know about the lack of toilet paper and about the lettuce that put me over the edge.

The response about no toilet paper was "I'll tell so-and-so about it ...." The problem with this response is that she *should* have said, "Thanks, we'll take care of it immediately" and not pushed the responsibility off on someone else. This was especially grating because the toilet paper roll was one of those GIGANTIC rolls, so I knew that restaurant staff had had hours and hours and hours - at *least* a day - of noticing that it was getting low before it finally was gone, so this speaks to quality control processes in the restaurant. Someone in that restaurant should be responsible for checking the status of the bathroom at least hourly for cleanliness and proper supplies.

In response to the lettuce issue, the cashier's response was, "He cut the lettuce just this morning." and then "maybe it's because it was sitting under the heat of the light." Neither statement speaks to my experience. The response *should* have been: "I'm sorry that lettuce didn't look good to you; I'm going to check it out. Thanks for letting me know."

Most customers of any business expect there will sometimes be problems - it's how businesses respond to the problems that makes all the difference.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Me and my boyfriend stopped here for breakfast on our way to ruidoso. We had not heard anything about it and man were we blown away! Food was the best we've had in a long time, service was friendly, and prices were reasonable. The red onion is a hidden gem for the southwest

Reviewed 28 February 2012

great service and good food i would eat here again !!

Reviewed 17 January 2012

We love Red Onion and go at least three times a month. The prices are very good, love their chips and salsa (free with meal), the food is great (the chef knows what he's doing), and the service is very good. It's nothing fancy, but just good food, service and not expensive.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

Nothing special here, pretty much like 90% of the other Roswell Mexican Restaurants. They've been around for quite a while though so they must have a good # of regulars.
I wish Roswell would have at least one Mexican restaurant w/ food on par w/ just an avg restaurant in El Paso or San Antonio.