I've been on safari in Kenya & in South Africa before coming to this lodge, which we hoped would have fantastic wildlife due to the riverside setting in the Sabi Sands. Unfortunately we weren't too lucky with the animals we saw but appreciate that's just how it goes sometimes. The game drives were ok, we felt we had to ask lots of questions to get full interaction with the guides otherwise it was very quiet & we didn't get much information.
We found the rooms a bit shabby, I understand in the bush its going to be somewhat basic, but concrete floors, furniture where the drawers are hanging off and bedside lights that had questionable electrics aren't great (room 4). Also we felt the mosquito net was for a single not a double bed.
All in all we felt it was average, and maybe we expected too much based on how the lodge was sold to us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Umkumbe Safari Lodge is located in the Sabi Sand Wildtuin, considered by many to be the premier wildlife reserve in South Africa. Located on the banks of the seasonal Sand River, Umkumbe Safari Lodge is perfectly situated in one of the best Big Five game viewing destinations in Africa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, South African Hotels, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Umkumbe Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Umkumbe Safari Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Umkumbe Safari Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve