“truly a safari experience not to be missed”

Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This is our second trip to Londolozzi and each time it has been superb thanks to the caring staff and mos of all to our ranger Adam(go see his blog on Londolozzi). He is dedicated and a great teacher and every outing is a great safari experience. On our first trip it was more the leopards and this time it was the lions. Yes we saw the big five+ a cheetah and a baby leopard but it is interesting to understand the migration of the animals from Kruger into Sabi-Sands. Most of all it is the knowledge that the rangers have of the animals that are in the territory, able to indentify from which pride the lions are..
The individual lodges are wonderful as well as the deck where you have your meals.
great place I will definitively return!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear laloux,

Thank your for returning back to Londolozi for a second time and for taking the time to write such a kind review. We are so pleased that your time with Adam was so worthwhile and thatyouhad such phenomenal game viewing! In particular the leopard cub.

We look forward to seeing you back for another visit in the near future and on our blog until then.

The Londolozi family

Reviewed 27 July 2012

It's been a week now since I (along with my family) have left Londolozi and my withdrawl symptoms are reaching their peak! Who knew that I would ever miss waking up at 6 a.m? Then again, when waking up comes with hot chocolate served to your doorstep, you can't really complain... We stayed in Tree Camp and the camp grounds were absolutely stunning, and continued to take my breath away for the entire duration of my stay (4 days, 3 nights).

What I've come to recognise as typical South African hospitality is the way everyone is so friendly and just seem to really enjoy what they do. We were assigned a butler, Matthew, who has found such a special place in my heart after this trip with his warm smile, the way he spoke German and also attempted to teach me some Shangaan, and just his general sweetness. Everyone was incredible! In terms of our actual safari experience, we could not have asked for a better team. Jess and Jeff were amazing as a partnership, totally in sync with one another and both extremely talented, which allowed for superb game viewing experiences. As a rookie photographer, I particularly enjoyed the fact that it allowed me to get such good photos. Not only that, they were just lovely people in general and great company. Their passion for what they do is contagious... pretty sure I want to be a ranger now, because it seems like such a fulfilling, enjoyable job! Generally all staff were very walm and welcoming, to the extent where it really felt like I had made friends on this trip, rather than met the hotel staff.

Furthermore, after a long, busy day of game viewing, being able to retreat to the beautiful rooms after a spectacular dinner was great. The beds were soft and just allowed for a good nights rest (crucial in regards to the schedule you have). The room itself was beautiful, as I previously mentioned, with plenty of sunshine streaming through the windows. I absolutely adored the spacious bathrooms too. Nice touches with the exercise ball and yoga mats, definitely came in handy. The outside area was lovely, it's just with the often very cold temperatures that we experienced, we weren't able to fully enjoy them (just means we'll have to come back in the summertime!) Also previously mentioned was the food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner, all fantastic. You have to try the dessert they have without a doubt. All of it was just perfect.

On our final day, the entire family was all decked out in our Londolozi clothing (beanies, ruffs, and gloves all included as well) and very sad to leave. As we took off in a small plane from the Londolozi airstrip to Kruger International Airport, we caught a final glimpse of Jess and Jeff waving goodbye from their car - something that really made me feel like we were leaving friends behind, not a feeling you typically get when you leave a hotel. The experience in its entirety was beyond amazing and I will, for the rest of my life, recommend it to everyone looking for a safari experience. There's nothing more I want to do right now than go back! It truly, despite our short stay, felt like a home away from home. If I could give it a higher rating, I would. I'm not entirely sure what it is exactly about this experience that changed my life, but undoubtedly I've returned to the big city of Singapore with a new mindset, and a brand new appreciation for nature that one can only get from an experience like this! Thank you for everything.

1  Thank vicky1995
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear Vicky1995,

Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed and incredible review of your time with us at Londolozi. I will be sure to pass this on to Jess and Jeff as well as Matthew from Tree Camp who will be delighted to read this.

We are just so pleased that enjoyed the many different aspects of your stay and we sincerely hope that you felt like a member of the Londolozi family. Please come back and visit us soon, we cant wait to have you and your family back.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We spent four nights at Varty camp in late May and had an absolutely wonderful time. Accommodations and food were fabulous and within several hours our ranger and tracker (Helen and Enoch) felt like old friends. We followed the blog before (and after) our trip and felt like we knew many of the animals we saw. Absolutely top rate operation in every possible category.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Alfiekit,

Thank you so much for visiting Varty Camp and for your kind review. We are so pleased that you had such a fantastic time on safari at Londolozi and that you enjoyed Helen and Enoch so much.

We look forward to having you back here SOON! and seeing you on the Londolozi blog until then.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We just came back from a 3 days stayin the tree camp. I am still amazed about the trip and we cAn highly recommended londolozi. Everything was perfect from amazing rooms with one of the nicest heavenly beds I ever slept in, amazing fresh and high quality food, a service with a smile a from the hearts and the experienced ranger and tracker who make each game drive an adventure. We all had problems to come back to cilivisation after such a perfect holiday. This was an absolute dream

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear doritg888

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and for taking the time to write such a kind review. We are delighted to hear that your experience with us was so fantastic as we are that you had such adventurous game drives.

I hope you have managed to readjust back to civilization ;-)

Look forward to welcoming you back here soon,

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We just returned from a stay at Varty camp and can hardly get it out of our minds. The experience permeated our beings, and we will never be the same, thanks to our time at this safari lodge.Needless to say, we were very impressed with Londolozi, and had returned after 11 years with high expectations which were most definitely met! The lodge is stunning and overlooks a rocky riverbed which serves as an animal superhighway much to our family's delight!
The rooms were luxurious with comfy beds,a large bathroom, a sprawling deck with a plunge pool. The communal areas offered fabulous views and had cool artifacts and photos making me feel like I had stepped into a by gone era where nature is celebrated. Despite this wonderful focus, comfort is taken seriously here and the staff made sure we were happy. Our dinners in the Boma were wonderful and each lunch and breakfast were impressive, too.
Above all, the experience with the animals was fantastic and it was the reason we had come. We went out with Rich and Oxi each day and they were able to show us the variety of game in all their splendor. Rich's knowledge is impressive and it was like spending time with a really fun college professor. So, we learned a lot, our respect only grew and we had a blast. We tracked leopards and watched them mate, followed Wild Dogs as they scouted a den site,watched a rhino roll in the mud, witnessed lion interaction as three males pursued a lioness with grace and determination. Oh, there was so much more but I will leave some mystery to the reader of this review.
We left the airstrip with a tear in our eye (if other guests weren't around I would have been sobbing and clinging to the bumper of our land rover)and are already trying to figure out a way back . All seems right in the world when you are at Londolozi.

Dear Fernlover,

Thank you for visiting us again after 11 long years. We are so pleased you returned and even more so that you had an experience that permeated your being!

I will be sure to pass your kind words onto the Varty Camp team as well as Rich and Oxi who will be delighted to receive the feedback.

We really look forward to welcoming you back here soon for some more amazing safari experiences.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

If you can only have one safari experience in Africa this is it. My wife, two older teenage girls and I rated this as one of our top experiences ever. There are 32 rooms spread about in five different compounds. The architecture and interior designs are beautiful-an African modern look and are extremely luxurous. The food was outstanding. The service was perfect. The game drives were everything we hoped they would be and more. Our guides were very knowledgable and we had some amazing encounters with Leopards, Lions and Cheetah. We couldn't get enough of the game drives. We were told by friends that this would be a once in a lifetime experience and it was. We would love to come back to Londolozi.

Dear PGS,

We are so incredibly pleased that you and your family rated this as one of your top experiences EVER! From your review it seems as though you experienced some fantastic game viewing in addition to the wildlife, particularly the big cats.

We hope to welcome you and your family back again in the near future,

Reviewed 17 July 2012

A friend and I booked a four day/three night stay at Londolozi on the recommendation of a friend. To be honest, we didn't do much research but based on the photos and impeccable reviews we decided to just go for it and hope for the best. It would be both of our first trips to South Africa and to the bush. To say that our expectations were surpassed would be an understatment. I've never been to such a magical place; there are barely sufficient words to convey my effusive praise.

From the moment we arrived at Founders Camp, we were treated like family. The entire staff was so welcoming and full of smiles, it was immediately clear that Londolozi was special. Nadia and Cry, the camp managers, were everpresent, ensuring we had everything we wanted and needed. Freddie, the camp chef, tailored our daily menus based on our food preferences and was happy to whip up anything we requested. James T and Mike S, our ranger and tracker, respectively, were incredible, dropping fascinating knowledge on us and sharing in our excitement as we encountered animals at every turn. The respect and awe they had for the animals was truly remarkable. Every drive we were treated to a totally unique and special experience. And, inbetween drives we were able to explore the other camps, relax with yoga and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. All of the camps, in fact, were impeccable and our particular housing was absolute five star luxury.

A stay at Londolozi will totally change your life; I genuinely believe that it changed mine. I feel nothing but envious of the fab staff who get to experience the magic every day. I'm already planning my next trip...

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the camps. My sense was that Tree and Granite were more intimate...