“leopards and much more”
Review of Cheetah Plains

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Cheetah Plains
Johannesburg, South Africa
“leopards and much more”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

10days after the terrible rain in the Krueger area we had a wonderful time at Cheetah Plains.
Saw cheetah, 3 leopard and the rest of the big 5, and much, much more. Ranger Abel and Terrance are very, very good. Heidi, Marie and the rest of the staff made us feel very welcome. We are looking forward to come back after the renovation. Michael + Elke

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 1 February 2012

From the minute we were picked up at the airport till we departed, this experience was incredible, first class and a total adventure. The lodge was warm and safe, the authentic South African food was prepared by professional chefs and the Safaris were amazing. I wished we had brought a better camera!

2 Thank Eugenia G
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the wonderful Cheetah Plains (Djuma) twice and found it to be the perfect place for safari accommodation, wildlife viewing, superb staff and excellent food. The lodges are really lovely, being comfortable while not being over-the-top luxurious, perfect for a safari. The staff, both at the lodge and the guides and trackers cannot be bettered and the latter share their wildlife knowledge with knowledge, interest and enthusiasm. Beside the 'big five' we saw so many, many other beautiful animals, birds, insects and vegetation, while we saw leopards on every trip. The main lodge is a comfortable and relaxing meeting place, while the meals - sometimes taken outside, sometimes inside - were delicious and beautifully prepared. An amazing, magical place, truly special, and we've just booked to go again in October - can't wait! Our third trip to South Africa and we wouldn't stay anywhere else for our safari.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gunnerjanet
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Cheetah Plains hits the mark with excellent game drives at a good value for your money. I would highly recommend it based on the four nights my husband and I spent there. We saw more wildlife than we ever could have expected- cheetahs, elephants, leopards, giraffes, rhinos, mongoose, monkeys, wild dogs, etc. Our driver and tracker were both very knowledgeable and able to track down the animals each and every game drive. The rooms were nice and we especially liked the indoor and outdoor dining areas. The ambience each meal was superb and the food was good. We used the pool one afternoon and could see animals walking by the game lodge outside the fence. It was great!

We flew in to the Kruger airport and rented a car to do the 2.5 hour drive to Cheetah Plains, The drive is a little chaotic through the last town along the way, but we made it. The weather in December was perfect. Not too hot, and only rained once. The AC in the rooms really makes a difference when you want a good night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 16 December 2011

The place is quite nice as is, but I heard that they are going to upgrade and renovate this place some time in the next year.

The people who work here provide excellent service. Food quality is excellent, better than many restaurants but not up to the quality of a Michelin 1 star. Still it is very good and my wife would probably approve. She also happens to be a superb cook so my standards are rather high. Their sous chef is from Johannesburg and is quite talented and helpful.

The rooms are nice, the one bedroom was adequate in size for my needs but not huge. This place has good AC which is very important in the summer. It is appropriately sized for the room. Smallish but nice shower/toilet facilities. They do the little nice things like petit fours and various chocolates on bed. Nice open lodge and bar. Good covered and out door dinning for any type of weather condition.

The private tracker and driver whom the lodge hired were both excellent. Really world class. It makes all the difference when you want to do wild life photography. I was able to take excellent photographs of Serval, mongoose(2 varieties), black mamba in addition to the usual cheetah, lion, and leopard. It is nice to be able to sit and watch a leopard for fours hours, no other guests to distract you and have someone who really is able to go into the bush on foot and locate the animals so they can drive you in close. Also a driver who is sensitive to what the animal will permit and not lose a good sighting. I would strongly recommend this over the standard drives with other guests. You will still see a lot on the regular drives but not the extreme quality drive you can get with a top notch driver and tracker. I had already gotten good images of many animals and all of the big five(including the true big five black rhino, not just the white rhino) during my previous 9 days doing self drive in Kruger and on various morning walks sponsored by the Kruger trackers and rangers.

The lodge manager was very helpful in arranging contact with a nearby flight school where I was able to get a light aircraft for some aerial photographs of the local area. The weather was not good over the Blyde canyon area so I could not go there. I would do it next time if I can.

The little huts are very clean, not a single bug to be found which is quite remarkable since there are creature everywhere just outside of your room. This is an intermediate price high end lodge, you can spend 5 to 10 thousand Rand a night and not get much more in my opinion although I have not spent time in one of those game lodges. This lodge hit the right compromise between offering excellent service and very good comfort and food while not going overboard in price. The money is better spent on a private tracker and guide if you want to do serious high level amateur photography or are a pro.

Internet access is fair, with WiFi in the bar and dinning area. No signal in your room however. This would be the one area which their renovation should include, maybe get a microwave link. I think they use satellite which is slow. This lodge is excellent for couples, small groups. Also great for people who want to be at the leading edge without paying a fortune.

Room Tip: I personally like the rooms close to the main lodge but with the planned renovations there may be so...