“Excellent Safari with a personal warm touch-and a winning combination of Kruger/Sabi Sands”
Review of Tydon Safari Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Tydon Safari Camp
Plainsboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed with the Tydon gang from 29th Aug-31st Aug on our first family safari & already are looking forward to a possible second time with them;) While booking our trip, we had many options, but the deciding factor was the fact that they did their game drives in 2 locations, Sabi Sands & Kruger park, making sure that you get the best of both. Price wise, it is similar to other lodges in Sabi Sands( I did a lot of shopping around & price comparisons before deciding on them) but what sets them apart is the personal experience. From the email exchanges with Gavin & his wife Vangie(who answered my multiple questions every time), to the excellent guides Debbie & Jackie, to the great tasting food & the very comfortable tents with everything that you need, what sets the experience apart is the personal touch. Gavin himself picked us up from Johannesburg airport & drove us back to camp( a 10 hour round trip). Then he still cooked for us that night. Our sons who are predominantly vegetarian, even converted to eating chicken, once they had tasted a bit of mine;)

The game drives were excellent, with Jackie, our guide willing to patiently stop & wait while we took pictures of the game. Her knowledge of the animals & birds was extensive. And then after long drives through the park, we would come back to a delicious dinner, prepared by Gavin & everyone would gather around the fire to swap stories & pictures about the day. Dinner was always followed by delicious desert. The wine was plentiful;) No better way to end the evenings!

Everything that we wanted was provided for- from a basket of laundry(N$150-well worth it) to Jackie sitting with us at breakfast that last morning & identifying every animal we had seen from our photos(so that we didn’t forget any by the time we got home) to the boys having their own tent. We loved it;) And the icing on the cake was seeing the big 5!;)

Are there cheaper or fancier options out there-sure! But like they say, you get what you pay for & we found our experiences & our memories well worth it! Would not hesitate to recommend them very highly!

Gavin is also opening a newer, slightly more posh camp in November- we hope to go back some day & revisit;)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank manasi_kar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Tydon Safaris offers the best of the bush with the comforts of home. We did the 4 day Kruger Park and Sabi Sand Experience. This all-inclusive package provides the best of both worlds with everything taken care of in between!

From the beginning, Gavin responded to all of our inquiries in a prompt and professional manner. Our guides, Liam and Debbie were absolutely excellent! They really shared their passion and knowledge of the bush and animals; it was really special to watch them at work.

The camp is wonderful - definitely a labour of love with impeccable attention to detail! The limited number of tents makes it feel like a more genuine and personalised safari experience.

Thank you Gavin, Vangie, Liam, Debbie, Jackie (even though we only met you briefly!), Tyron, Donovan, and the rest of the team for all of your hospitality and a really special safari experience!

Tydon Safaris combines a high degree of professionalism and attention to detail with a homey atmosphere in the bush! I would not hesitate to recommend it 100% and I cannot wait to return!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Claire L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2012

If tripadvisor had a 6 star rating, Tydon Safaris would definitely deserve it! I am a young professional from Toronto currently working in Johannesburg. I recently visited Tydon Safaris with two of my co-workers over an extra-long weekend. Gavin and his staff provided us with the perfect safari experience! We did the 4 day Kruger and Sabi Sands package and were very lucky to see all of the big 5 (including a baby leopard!!). Gavin’s rangers (including his 2 sons) were amazing! They were extremely knowledgeable and taught us a lot about the bush. Everyone at Tydon was very friendly and approachable – it felt as though you were visiting friends for a weekend. Although the atmosphere was laid back, every aspect of this family-run business exuded professionalism. Their attention to detail in every aspect of the weekend did not go unnoticed. It is apparent that they have put a lot of effort into ensuring they provide their guests with a flawless visit and they have definitely succeeded in doing just that! The amazing food (based on family recipes) and the tent accommodations completed the perfect bush experience while providing all the comforts of home. The thing that sets Tydon Safaris apart from their competition is Gavin and his family. You can immediately tell how passionate they are about the bush and that they are dedicated to providing a top-notch experience to each and every one of their guests. The only complaint I have about my time at Tydon Safaris is that it was not long enough! I will definitely be returning to visit my friends at Tydon again and I recommend that you do the same – I promise you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erin R
Orange county, CA
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My family of 4, kids age 9 and 14, have just returned from the best trip we've ever taken.
Gavin recommended a guest house in JoBerg, they met us at the airport and our guide drove us to camp the next day. We had 7 unbelievable days of game drives at Kruger and Sabi Sands, we saw literally hundreds of animals. The Big 5 were seen in close proximity within the first 24 hours!
The tent accommodations were more than comfortable. They are more like upscale canvas cabins. The food was very tasty and plentiful, we all enjoyed trying the South African dishes. Dinner by the fire was a real treat, giving us a chance to mingle with guests from all over the world. Wine and beer was always available, and again very tasty.

Thank you Gavin, Vangie, Jacky, Lyam, Debby, and all the rest, for an experience my family will never forget! We hope to be back some day.

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Tydon has been one of the highlights of our SA tour. We unfortunately only stayed 2 days and nights, but the great team (thanks Liam, Debby and Jacky!!) easily guided us to see the big 5 and more. They teached us lots about wildlife. Our children (7, 10 and 11) loved it all. The tents were placed in a way the children could easily change tents when scared, which was not the case at all. The guides are so passionate about their job that they give you the feeling that you are their best friend visiting and they share all their knowledge with you. Back at the camp Gavin and the others make the utmost of your stay with a braai and delicious food. I only mentioned on the spot that I did not eat meat and Gavin immediately prepared something new. In the car on our way back we were all a bit sad about leaving this place...

• Stayed August 2012
Chelsea, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I chose this safari tour company from trip advisor since I didn't know the first thing about planning a safari. There reviews is what started my first contact with Gavin. He did the rest. From planning it, to the very end when he returned us back to Joburg was perfect. You will not be disappointed with this tour company. They bend over backwards to making your stay as comfortable as possible. The game drives were way beyond what I expected thanks to Liam, Debbie and Jacky. Tyron doing his tracking thing spotted EVERYTHING there was to see and more. The combo of Sabi Sands and Kruger is a must. You get so close to the animals in Sabi going off road. My "Zoo" days are over! No words can describe how these people have the guests first and foremost in their planning your every minute while you are there. I AM looking forward to my next safari thanks to them when I originally was thinking that is was a once in a lifetime experience. My only regret is that I didn't plan for a longer stay there. I did the 4day/3night and it wasn't long enough.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Foster City, California
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Tydon Safari has a warm and inviting feeling the moment you meet Gavin, the founder of the Safari. He has made it a point to put his personal touch in everything from the hand carved doors to the breakfast area to the headboards engraved with the name Tydon. This place is "personal" all the way! He and his staff make you feel special, like his own family. I came here with my 21 yr. old daughter for her graduation gift. She had fun talking and sharing over the camp fire with the staff, including Gavin's son, Tyron. Both Gavin's sons work at the camp, so it is definitely a family atmosphere.

The home cooked food was excellent. We had the most tender rump steak, and I don't even like beef! The rooms were cleaned well daily and the housekeeper even folded our clothes! We saw the Big 5 and more. Game drives 2 times a day. For the winter safari's (May to July) make sure to bring wool turtle necks, warm gloves, beanie and a down jacket. I did not and froze during the game drives. There were no mosquitoes in the winter. The tents and beds are comfortable, although I found the "zipper doors" cumbersome to open and close in the middle of the night. There is AC/heat, heated blankets, hair dryer and a hot water pot.The prices are much more reasonable than any other Safari in the area and you get to see both Sabi Sand and Krueger, which no other Safari offered. Gavin was responsive and answered all my questions and emails quickly. We were sad to leave him and have invited him to stay with us when he comes to the US!

Room Tip: Ask for a tent further away from the camp fire if you want less noise and more quiet.