I stayed at Elephant Plains for three nights in January, first in a rondavel but then the other nights in one of their luxury rooms. The accomodation was plush, immaculate and well tended to during our stay. The rondavel was stunning, we would have been happy staying there for all our nights but we were late booking and were simply thrilled that Elephant Plains had room for us. The luxury room was huge, we loved the large terrace looking over the plains and the outdoor shower.
I had a hard time choosing between Arathusa and EP as both are in the same price range, have great reviews and also use the same tranversing grounds. I opted for EP as I thought the accommodation looked more luxurious and I was not disappointed.
The safari experience was incredible, the trackers and guides all work together to get you as close as possible to the animals without being obtrusive. This includes having a maximum of three vehicles at a sighting, and during a sighting only one vehicle can have its motor on at a time.
We booked with Katherine Terry at Ghecko Safaris, she was a great help in giving us advice ahead of our trip. Good things to know:
- If you are umming about bringing that camera with the big lens, bring it. You will be glad that you did.
- Don't bring clothes that you cannot ruin, the red dust can be tricky to wash out.
- If you are driving to Elephant Plains, the roads are decent until the last stretch where they are not paved. Once inside the private reserve, routes are clearly signposted so you can easily find your way to Elephant Plains. Also, lock doors and have your windows up, you are inside the reserve now and there will be animals about.
- Keep to the speed limits on the motorways, lots of police officers on the patrol, especially on the route from Kruger to Nelspruit airport
- If you want to tip the staff, save up a variety of notes so you can split it up however you wish
Fantastic service at Elephant Plains, we loved every single minute of our stay there (including the 5am wake-up call!).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge is situated in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. This owner-run lodge caters for the discerning traveller, with a variety of accommodation options including 5 Rondavels, 6 Luxury Suites and a Honeymoon Suite. Activities include two daily game drives and a bush walk. The lodge also offers a spa, gym, conference facility / TV room, games room, small library and two swimming pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Elephant Plains Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elephant Plains Game Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Elephant Plains Game Nelspruit
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve