“Good Value”
Review of Tydon Bush Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Tydon Bush Camp
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Good Value”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Tydon Bush Camp does not disappoint. Owners Vangie and Gavin run the show and accommodated my last minute booking seamlessly. The Bush camp is small and intimate, with only three "tents". Debbie is a great camp manager/ranger and the two ladies that assist Debbie do an amazing job with the food and keeping everything top notch cleaned and organised. The highlights were sitting around the fire with drink and food and having Debbie translate all the animals sounds for us.

The game viewing was very good with plenty of up close sighting of elephants, zebras, buffalo, and giraffe. Unfortunately, we did not see any cats in our 4 days...but still had a great time in a beautiful area.

If your priority is seeing the cats, I might recommend going with a bigger more commercial operation that has a larger land lease and therefore more trackers and vehicles traversing. Several times we heard of animals in the area but couldn't follow because they were "outside the boundary". The property is beautiful, but smaller than most in Sabi Sands. After Tydon I went to bigger (more expensive) operation nearby in the Sabi Sands where there were multiple leopard and lion sightings daily (due to 26 safari vehicles on the property) but I traded off the good food and personal attention...

Debbie only had a tracker (in the front seat) for 1 of the 5 game drives. Not the ideal set up, especially on night drives when Debbie had to drive and operate the spotlight. I found out later from a guide at the other Tydon camp that when it is very busy there is not always a tracker available for each vehicle on game drives. Before you book you should confirm with Gavin and Vangie that a tracker would be provided...a huge advantage when trying to track/spot a Leopard.

Overall, I think is is an incredible value for a slice of the Sabi Sands and highly recommend the people!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank chipwedge

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My boyfriend and I just got back from a three week vacation in South Africa, and our 3 nights in Tydon were an incredible highlight. Debbie was our amazing guide during our stay. She made us feel very comfortable and made sure that we had some great sightings. We saw leopard and cheetah and just about everything we wanted to see! (except for lions) Each day included two three hour game drives. Meals were typical South African dishes, and each one was delicious. We shared the camp with one other family, so it was a nice, intimate stay. I loved the feel of the camp, and would definitely recommend it to anyone!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle S
Escondido, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just returned from one week stay at Tydon bush camp in Sabi Sand in South Africa. So glad we stayed in the bush camp. Just three of us with Jared as our guide the whole week. Saw just about every animal (except for lions!) - saw cheetahs, leopard next to jeep, tons of elephants, rhinos, cape buffalo, plus hyenas, crocs, baboons, kudu, wart hogs, hippos, etc. Jared was really great - he loves being in the bush and he was attentive to all our needs. Tents are comfortable and food is good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BrianMelonakos
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had a wonderful trip to Sabi Sands and Kruger at the end of May/beginning of June for 5 days with Tydon staying at the bush camp. I did a huge amount of research prior to booking a safari, and this one hit the spot. I felt it was the best deal for staying in a prime area and being able to experience both Sabi Sands and Kruger national park. I went alone, but the guides-Bernette, Jacque, and owner-Gavin made me feel really at home. It was such a laid back atmosphere and people were really easy-going. I was joined by an elder couple from New Zealand who had been on numerous safaris and a gentleman from California on my second day there. We all had prime viewing in our seats in the jeep on safari.

Each day we saw different animals. I loved being able to drive up close to the animals in Sabi Sands. We were only feet away from rhino, giraffe, elephants, warthogs, beautiful birds, and more. The others in my group were fortunate to see 3 leopard (1 driving into the camp, and 2 on a night drive while I was in Kruger an extra afternoon). Although I didn't see the leopard, we were extremely lucky to see a cheetah down by the river at the neighboring Umkumbe camp, which the guide got a quick call from on the radio and we zoomed over there in our jeep to see it! Beyond seeing so many amazing animals, Bernette and Jacque, our guides provided lots of interesting info and made even "slow" parts of our drives awesome. Kruger was different in that it was so vast and open. We saw amazing groups of animals there- a dazzle of Zebras-maybe 80-100, a journey of giraffes, a lioness walking in the bush growling who then came out on the road and zig-zagged through cars... Visitors have to stay on the paved road here, but it's amazing and different.

I was a bit timid thinking about what I would eat and drink here, not knowing what to expect since the CDC warned not to eat fresh produce like salad or to drink the water. The guides assured me that all is clean and fine. I drank the water that they had in their water pitcher every day, filling up my water bottle. The food was delicious. Every day they prepared a different type of breakfast and dinner. I thought I might lose a few pounds coming to Africa for a safari, but the rich desserts and meals were not one to diet on! We sat around the fire each night, sharing stories, laughing, eating our meals, and having a glass of wine or beer.

The tents were far beyond what I could imagine. Initially when I thought of joining a camp for safari-I thought I'd have to carry a backpack with sleeping bag and tent on my back. This was definitely not the case! It was truly glorified camping! They had a semi-permanent tent with electricity, running water, real toilet!!!, shower, sink, hardwood furniture-including a comfortable bed, dresser, and nightstand. You really cannot ask for more out in the bush. I really felt spoiled. Also, I'm glad I ended up at the bush camp-which was extremely personal, quaint, and right in the middle of the bush. The safari camp, although bigger and had a pool, seemed a little farther out- near to the gate. When we were on game drives from the bush camp, everything was just right there...just pulled out of the camp in the jeep and safari started immediately.

I hope this review has portrayed an enticing trip for you. This safari experience definitely contributed to one of the best trips of my life!

Room Tip: I highly recommend staying in the bush camp-it felt so personal and was great being in the middle of...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Smilinsnoboarder
New Plymouth, new Zealand
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the Bush camp and 3 nights at the main camp.
The Bush camp is an awesome experience. To be able to hear the animals at night and even have a visit from a hyena while we were having dinner was a unique experience. The setting is fabulous – just 3 tents surrounded by trees, a lovely deck to relax on during the heat of the day and a very attractive dining room. The tents are very comfortable and we were looked after the whole time with excellent service, good meals and superb game drives. Being right in the reserve means the action starts the minute you get on the vehicle. Sometimes we drove for some time without many sightings but the surroundings are so peaceful, the sunsets and sunrises unreal and when the action does start the experience is one to be treasured. Spending time with leopards, lions, a cheetah, elephants, rhino, giraffe, hyena and then the smaller things like dwarf mongoose, civet, tree squirrels, even a dung beetle. Just magic and enhanced by the skill and knowledge of the great guides – Jared, Jacques, Bernet, Debbie and Gavin himself. They go far beyond the call of duty such as during the break between drives one day when we were relaxing and suddenly Bernet was calling us to the vehicle for a very quick drive to the river for a sighting of a cheetah – really special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Colin and Janet H
PRESTON
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Tydons bush camp was a wonderful experience, with only three tents it is very relaxing and very personal as you spend a lot of time with your guides. The tents are well equipped with hair dryer and plenty of plugs for charging camera etc. Debbie and Gerard were great guides and we had a wonderful time spending many hours with leopard with kill and watching hyena pinching his food. We also enjoyed doing the bush walk but are not eating any more leaves after watching what the buffalo did with the bushes!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ELLAID
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed for 2 nights at Tydon Bush camp in March, 2014. Tydon Safari Camp is larger and is on the outskirts of Sabi Sands reserve (still has access to the reserve) while Tydon Bush camp is a half hour drive on unpaved roads further into the reserve. I specifically chose the Sabi Sands reserve with the aim of increasing our chances of seeing the elusive leopard. The transparency of pricing and info on their website is way better than the other nearby camps/reserves. For Sabi Sands it's a great value, yet the accommodations, guides, drives and meals are top notch. Also, Gavin and Vangie were very responsive and helpful during the booking process. Our guide was Debbie who was very knowledgeable and passionate about the flora and fauna. She worked tirelessly for a leopard sighting which we saw on our second drive. The staff were very accommodating towards vegetarians and the meals were great. Kruger is nice, but I would recommend Tydon Bush Camp if you prefer to stay deeper in the bush and to be able to off road to see the animals closer in their habitat.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Umkumbe Safari Lodge
Umkumbe Safari Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Tydon Bush Camp? Share your experiences!