“Outstanding service, amazing experience”
Review of Notten's Bush Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Notten's Bush Camp
Reviewed 14 July 2014

What a wonderful place this is. You are so warmly greeted on arrival like a friend of the family that you soon feel at home. I can't thank the staff enough for their attentiveness, and the knowledge and friendliness of the ranger/tracker was exceptional too - it has already been said in the other reviews. There are only two major downsides - firstly my waistline, I was gutted when I got on the scales this morning, as the food is so lovely, and so copious that you cannot resist, but the results show! The only other is the chilly drives - no fault of Nottens, who thoughtfully put hot water bottles and blankets in the truck for you, but just a warning to others to be better prepared than me, as I forgot to take a hat and gloves, and neglected to think about the fact that I'd be in an open truck with wind blowing through my hair. Got toasty in the end, with help from a jaunty Nottens hat bought in the little gift shop, but do go well prepared with warm fleeces and hats, given that it is now winter there.
Thanks again guys, we will be sure to recommend you and have some amazing memories to savour.

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are good, just be aware that they are lit by candle and oil lamp, so don'...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 1962globetrotter

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and found everything was faultless-the game drives and the food were amazing and the accommodation was very spacious.Nothing was too much trouble-even plugging in my e-cigarette! A special thanks to Dale and Pinghi-Barry and Sue Cozens,Manchester,UK.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BarryandSueCozens
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Really very nice lodge in Sabi Sands. Lovely atmosphere, good guides and great activities.We would certainly recommend for guests that are looking a great camp at a very reasonable price. Karin Bloem - Wild Times Safaris

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KarinBloem
Reviewed 3 July 2014

OMG WHAT A FANTASTIC PLACE!!! Wonderful,small, comfortable, private lodging, great food, impeccable service, super game drives (they can go off road here and did) and to top it off there's and open bar with some very fine single malts. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, it's a little different not having electricity at night, and it's a little different using candles (by the dozen) and kerosene lanterns. Flashlights are a handy thing to have.Bedroom and large bathroom plus a sitting room and private patio. Read Lisa M's review. She's spot on.I'd go back here in a heartbeat and absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coloradonative8585
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Wow
This lodge was truly amazing I loved it
The pool area was amazing
Each lodge was beautiful the room was beautiful and clean
There is no electrical lighting here, so at night you have candles in your room and use a torch to walk around there was always a staff member with you at all times at night walking around with you
if you needed

You could still charge your phones cameras etc ;)
The food here was seriously amazing
I have stayed at other lodges where I paid $2000 p/night
I can easily say the food quality here and quantity was 5 times better than the other lodges I stayed at !
It was beautiful!
The lodge setting is beautiful when having meals in the outside restaurant there is a water hole not too far away and I saw zebras and other stunning animals everyday
The staff were amazing
I loved this place
I cant wait to return!!

If you stay here you will not be disappointed!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Cassandra M
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Love at first sight! My husband and I spent the first 3 nights of our honeymoon in Notten's mid June 2014. The jet leg and the tiredness from taking 3 flights and a 2 hour road transfer was compensated by the luxury and calmness at Notten's. We stayed at Villa No 3 (I think) which was a stone throw away from the main dining area.

I cannot emphasize on how amazing the food was. We were not left hungry for even a second. A vast array of food was offered and the desserts prepared were simply mouth watering. Check out their website for the recipes! The first two nights, we had dinner at the main dining area and the last night at the boma by the fire.

We saw the big 5 in one game drive thanks to our guide and spotter, Joe and Sheldon. Sheldon even spotted a baby chameleon in the middle of the night.. Amazing! Even spotted a cheetah feeding on its prey. We were there during winter so make sure you bring along a warm jacket especially for the morning game drive which can get a little chilly. Lovely gesture how they provided us with hot water bottles and a fleece blanket each for the morning drive.

Don't forget to go for the bush walk which is done usually after breakfast. Walk is about 1.5-2 hours with Joe explaining into more detail the flora and fauna of the bush.

Yes, there are no electric lights in the rooms which was fine for us as it added more ambiance to the atmosphere of being in the bush :) However there is a power cord in each room for you to charge your cameras/phones/etc. Laundry can be done daily (a big plus for me).

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor (considering I use it extensively for years for travel planning), but my stay here was so incredible that I just have to share it with everyone! Please don't think twice. Just book!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank atikasuharto
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We visited Nottens at the end of May 2014 for 3 nights. It’s a truly excellent place to stay with large, comfortable and clean rooms. We loved the fact that there were no electric lights in the rooms as when you returned from the afternoon/evening drive the oil lamps (complete with hurricane glasses) were already lit, making the room cozy and very welcoming. If you needed extra light, there were plenty of large candles in the rooms. There is an extension lead in each room, so there is no problem with charging anything electrical.

The food was amazing - tasty and plenty of it. Eating evening meals (the South African braai) down in the boma was great, then sitting by the roaring fire afterwards, drinking a glass or two of their excellent wine was a magical experience. One evening we were even treated to a visit by a genet who was prowling along the top of the wall of the boma.

Our ranger Joseph and his trackers AB and Rydon were able to find us every animal we said we’d like to see, including the elusive cheetah (actually 2 different cheetahs on two separate days!). You get seriously up close and personal with the wildlife, and it is such a joy to see them in their natural habitats and so unconcerned by the safari jeeps. The lodges take great care not to have more than a maximum of 3 jeeps at a sighting at any time (everyone takes their turn), which means that you always get a fantastic view and the animals are not crowded by the tourists! We got to see the Big Five over and over again, various different antelope, zebra, giraffe, hyenas and a variety of beautiful birds - it got to the point where we joked with Joseph about finding us a polar bear!

If you go in the south african winter, take layers for the game drives as it gets a little chilly when it’s dark, either in the mornings or evenings but warms up beautifully once the sun comes up. There are of course blankets and hot water bottles provided by the lodges as well.

Dale, David and their fabulously attentive staff make you feel as if you are a distant cousin coming to stay rather than a paying guest. Please don’t change a single thing – you guys are wonderful!

Room Tip: They are all great!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends