“Excellent game viewing and Perfect setting”
Review of Notten's Bush Camp

Notten's Bush Camp
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Excellent game viewing and Perfect setting”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I echo what others have said - this family run lodge is very well run with friendly staff. I spent two nights - I liked the lack of electricity. It added to the charm of the place. I was amazed to see all the big 5 in a 24 hour period. Nottens is good value compared to some other lodges in Sabi Sands. My only complaint is that when game is spotted, all of the vehicles descend on the siting, waiting in line. That being said, I have no complaints and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelingdogDaisy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

What a wonderful place this is. You are so warmly greeted on arrival like a friend of the family that you soon feel at home. I can't thank the staff enough for their attentiveness, and the knowledge and friendliness of the ranger/tracker was exceptional too - it has already been said in the other reviews. There are only two major downsides - firstly my waistline, I was gutted when I got on the scales this morning, as the food is so lovely, and so copious that you cannot resist, but the results show! The only other is the chilly drives - no fault of Nottens, who thoughtfully put hot water bottles and blankets in the truck for you, but just a warning to others to be better prepared than me, as I forgot to take a hat and gloves, and neglected to think about the fact that I'd be in an open truck with wind blowing through my hair. Got toasty in the end, with help from a jaunty Nottens hat bought in the little gift shop, but do go well prepared with warm fleeces and hats, given that it is now winter there.
Thanks again guys, we will be sure to recommend you and have some amazing memories to savour.

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are good, just be aware that they are lit by candle and oil lamp, so don'...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 1962globetrotter
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and found everything was faultless-the game drives and the food were amazing and the accommodation was very spacious.Nothing was too much trouble-even plugging in my e-cigarette! A special thanks to Dale and Pinghi-Barry and Sue Cozens,Manchester,UK.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarryandSueCozens
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Really very nice lodge in Sabi Sands. Lovely atmosphere, good guides and great activities.We would certainly recommend for guests that are looking a great camp at a very reasonable price. Karin Bloem - Wild Times Safaris

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KarinBloem
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 July 2014

OMG WHAT A FANTASTIC PLACE!!! Wonderful,small, comfortable, private lodging, great food, impeccable service, super game drives (they can go off road here and did) and to top it off there's and open bar with some very fine single malts. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, it's a little different not having electricity at night, and it's a little different using candles (by the dozen) and kerosene lanterns. Flashlights are a handy thing to have.Bedroom and large bathroom plus a sitting room and private patio. Read Lisa M's review. She's spot on.I'd go back here in a heartbeat and absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coloradonative8585
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Wow
This lodge was truly amazing I loved it
The pool area was amazing
Each lodge was beautiful the room was beautiful and clean
There is no electrical lighting here, so at night you have candles in your room and use a torch to walk around there was always a staff member with you at all times at night walking around with you
if you needed

You could still charge your phones cameras etc ;)
The food here was seriously amazing
I have stayed at other lodges where I paid $2000 p/night
I can easily say the food quality here and quantity was 5 times better than the other lodges I stayed at !
It was beautiful!
The lodge setting is beautiful when having meals in the outside restaurant there is a water hole not too far away and I saw zebras and other stunning animals everyday
The staff were amazing
I loved this place
I cant wait to return!!

If you stay here you will not be disappointed!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Cassandra M
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Love at first sight! My husband and I spent the first 3 nights of our honeymoon in Notten's mid June 2014. The jet leg and the tiredness from taking 3 flights and a 2 hour road transfer was compensated by the luxury and calmness at Notten's. We stayed at Villa No 3 (I think) which was a stone throw away from the main dining area.

I cannot emphasize on how amazing the food was. We were not left hungry for even a second. A vast array of food was offered and the desserts prepared were simply mouth watering. Check out their website for the recipes! The first two nights, we had dinner at the main dining area and the last night at the boma by the fire.

We saw the big 5 in one game drive thanks to our guide and spotter, Joe and Sheldon. Sheldon even spotted a baby chameleon in the middle of the night.. Amazing! Even spotted a cheetah feeding on its prey. We were there during winter so make sure you bring along a warm jacket especially for the morning game drive which can get a little chilly. Lovely gesture how they provided us with hot water bottles and a fleece blanket each for the morning drive.

Don't forget to go for the bush walk which is done usually after breakfast. Walk is about 1.5-2 hours with Joe explaining into more detail the flora and fauna of the bush.

Yes, there are no electric lights in the rooms which was fine for us as it added more ambiance to the atmosphere of being in the bush :) However there is a power cord in each room for you to charge your cameras/phones/etc. Laundry can be done daily (a big plus for me).

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor (considering I use it extensively for years for travel planning), but my stay here was so incredible that I just have to share it with everyone! Please don't think twice. Just book!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple