Was in South Africa checking out game lodges for clients. Saw a handful in the Kruger, among them, Lion Sands River Lodge & Ivory Lodge. I felt like Goldilocks - many of the lodges ticked some boxes but not all. I found Lion Sands River Lodge to be a really nice blend of intimate, luxury lodge with attention to detail and a sense of family history, as the More family has been "custodians" of this land for generations.
I loved the main areas. Primarily because of the clean, light colors, which is often a welcome respite from the stereotypical dark wood and African artwork experience. Felt like a breath of fresh air. I also liked that tho the main space is large, there are many different sitting areas to grab a nap and separate yourself from the other guests. But honestly, this isn't a big place, so you won't get lost in the shuffle.
Two years ago, Lion Sands went thru a multi-million rand refurb. The rooms now are larger, and continue the light and airy theme. The cottages are closer together than other lodges I've seen, but there is still a sense of privacy. Each room has a private deck with views over the river. I thought the design and decoration was a huge advantage - just felt good.
There are two pools on the property - one more in the shade and another in full sun. I would probably shuffle from one to another depending on the time of day.
The lodge also has a strong eco slant, which feels really good, particularly given the family's history in the area. I toured 7 lodges when I was in the area. This was one of my faves, hands down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family owned since 1933, this international award winning private game reserve spans across the world famous Sabi Sand Game Reserve and Kruger National Park. Lion Sands has four lodges; Lion Sands Ivory Lodge & Lion Sands River Lodge (Sabi Sand) and Lion Sands Tinga Lodge & Lion Sands Narina Lodge (Kruger Park). Each has a unique style, but is a reflection of Lion Sands' five-star signature of sophisticated interiors, unique experiences and service excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Lion Sands River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lion Sands River Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Lion Sands River Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve