Having religiously checked Tripadvisor for reviews prior to going to Lion Sands, I thought I would do my bit for all those lucky enough to be heading to Lion Sands soon. I now know that I wasn't alone in checking every single day (howdy Paddy!) and was always disappointed when there wasn't a new review for me to read! So to all you excited travellers, here you go.
We travelled to Lion Sands for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon and what a perfect way to finish. From the moment we entered through the gate in to the Kruger National Park, we were treated to animals all over the place. I had been particularly looking forward to seeing elephants and so imagine my excitement when driving to the Lodge we saw 2 separate herds wandering down the road. And it just kept getting better. We did 6 game drives and saw lions, leopard, hyena, cheetah, wild dogs, white rhino... and the list goes on and on. Our ranger and tracker were excellent, able to tell us what animal was making a particular sound, a bird from far away and knew where to look for certain animals. Each car is in touch throughout each drive and so exciting sightings can quickly be shared and sped towards. The vehicles are allowed to go off road in the private reserves and so you always get nice and close to the action, with most of the animals fairly chilled out as you approach. Oh and let's not forget the sundowners! But aside from the excellent drives, the Lodge was amazing. Walter at the front gate (I won't ruin it for you), the welcome drinks, a personal "butler" to look after you at each meal, amazing food served on a deck overlooking the river (enabling you to see the animals on the other side), a romantic surprise on your first night...I cannot rave enough. The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. A special mention to the wonderful Vusi, who came to the boma with us one night so that we could take pictures of the star-filled night sky after dinner one evening.
All in all, one of the best experiences of our lives and one which I would highly recommend. Have a great time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family owned since 1933, this international award winning private game reserve spans across the world famous Sabi Sand Game Reserve and Kruger National Park. Lion Sands has four lodges; Lion Sands Ivory Lodge & Lion Sands River Lodge (Sabi Sand) and Lion Sands Tinga Lodge & Lion Sands Narina Lodge (Kruger Park). Each has a unique style, but is a reflection of Lion Sands' five-star signature of sophisticated interiors, unique experiences and service excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Lion Sands River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lion Sands River Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Lion Sands River Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve