My son (age 25) and I (old enough to be his mother and then some) recently enjoyed a magical stay (three nights) at Lion Sands. Our visit there was spectacular by all measures. The game viewing was wonderful and featured unbelievably close encounters with lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, giraffes, zebras, multiple varieties of antelopes, and hippos, thanks to our terrific ranger/tracker team Syd and Patrick. The lodge is both beautiful and comfortable with a sense of harmony with the surroundings and understated elegance. All of the staff were friendly and attentive, including especially our butler, Errol. The food was excellent and elegantly presented. In our three night stay we had one dinner in the boma (an outdoor space enclosed by a stick fence) with entertainment by a local women's choir, one on the terrace overlooking the river bed, and one candlelight dinner set up in the dry part of the river bed below the terrace. There were thoughtful extra touches, such as a blanket and hot water bottle for each guest on chilly morning game drives and evening drinks by our safari vehicle as the sun set. Our ranger, Syd, took us on a walking tour after breakfast one day, a hippo tour the next day, and a star-gazing drive one evening after dinner. We would have loved to stay longer and hope very much to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family owned since 1933, this international award winning private game reserve spans across the world famous Sabi Sand Game Reserve and Kruger National Park. Lion Sands has four lodges; Lion Sands Ivory Lodge & Lion Sands River Lodge (Sabi Sand) and Lion Sands Tinga Lodge & Lion Sands Narina Lodge (Kruger Park). Each has a unique style, but is a reflection of Lion Sands' five-star signature of sophisticated interiors, unique experiences and service excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with 5viajes2012 S.L. and Priceline so you can book your Lion Sands River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lion Sands River Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Lion Sands River Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve