We stayed at Simbambili for 3 nights on our honeymoon in the beginning of September. We were provided with a warm welcome from Allison and Reinas who gave us cool towels and a refreshing drink as we went over the lay of the land. After unpacking in our room we went on our first game drive with our ranger, Liam, and our tracker, Mamps. They are an absolutely superb team. Liam carries with him a vast knowledge of the area and the local wildlife. He was able to answer any and all questions we threw at him. Mamps is a phenomenal tracker with superb vision and hearing (he literally saw things with his bare eyes that I couldn't find with my binoculars, even after he told me where to look). He did everything he could to make sure we found the animals we were looking for and he was very successful. We found leopard every day that we went out.
The days are long but worth every minute of being out in the bush and they really give you a sense of getting what you pay for. We had our wake-ups at 5AM and we were on the jeep at 6AM. We spent 3.5-4 hours tracking and looking at the wildlife with a stop for coffee/tea. Afterwards we were dropped off back at the lodge for breakfast and then given the opportunity to go out for a bush walk with Liam. After a siesta after the bush walk, lunch was served at 2:30 and we were back on the jeeps from 3:30-7/7:30 for our evening drive. They would stop for sundowners and snacks every evening at one of many breathtaking locations.
After the evening drive they served delicious dinners. One evening we ate in the dried river bed behind the lodge and on our final evening we had a dinner in the bush. Dinner in the bush included singing and dancing by the staff an locals. One of my favorite parts of dinner was that the rangers ate with us and shared their stories of life in the bush. We found the food to be delicious and was always provided with options of what to eat.
The suites are well appointed with a giant bathroom, comfortable bed, and huge deck (with loungers, plunge pool, and day bed... perfect for siesta). The suites seemed perfect for the locale, nothing was too modern or over-the-top, keeping up with feeling of being out in the bush without being in a tent. We stayed in suite #7 which had a good view of one of the nearby watering holes where we could watch elephants drink on a daily basis.
The highlight of the lodge is definitely the game viewing, which is exactly why you go on safari in the first place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simbambili Game Lodge is a highly individualised destination for the discerning traveller located in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which is part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Set in magnificent trees along the meandering Manyeleti River, with views over an extensive savannah grassland, that teems with wildlife visiting an ever popular water hole. Sophisticated yet simple, each suite has spectacular views whether from the unique en-suite bathrooms, outside salas or individual private plunge pools. Guests are encouraged to enjoy the extraordinary and unique wildlife of Africa, whether it is your choice to linger at a close encounter with lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo or to be amazed by the extensive array of birds and insects, or simply relax in the Sanctuary Spa. Your ranger and tracker team will astound you with their ability to track big five game, either on foot or from an open safari vehicle. The amazing safari experience is complimented by elegant cuisine, a selection of fine wines andthe warmth of true African hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Booking.com and Cancelon so you can book your Simbambili Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simbambili Game Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Hotel Simbambili Game
- Simbambili Game Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve