“5th stay in 4 years and booked for next year!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Arathusa Safari Lodge
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Simply amazing! The location - a watering hole that cannot be beaten. 11 Hippo and 38 Elephants one afternoon!!
A pretty simple drive from Hoedspruit or from Orpen Gate in Kruger too.

The standard rooms are amazing and anything but standard. Slate bathrooms, outdoor showers if you like (indoor showers for those less adventerous), huge comfortable beds and fabulous patios to take in the gorgeous view. We have also stayed in the luxury rooms and they are luxurious! A bit of a walk, but it gives you a chance to work of some of the incredible food the chefs cook!! The rooms also DO NOT overlook the watering hole. Showered with Nyala and a Pearl Spotted Owlet nearby one afternoon.

Now for the food. It truly deserves this remark: OMG heaven on a plate!! Malcolm and Devlin are spectacular. I love Warthog burgers and they accommodated my request and now I have to wait 11 months for another one!!! Love that lunch is a buffet with fresh and light dishes. Great timing too. Blessing, Elvis, Nelson and Vusi are wonderfully friendly bar staff and servers. We really enjoyed our private dinner on the boma deck! A must do!!! I do wish they would set up the tables in a horseshoe in the dining room as the socialness is lacking when everyone sits at separate tables. We used to eat dinner on the boma deck every night and it was amazing, but too many people complained about it being cold - too bad, you are missing a lovely bush experience not eating out there at night!!

Now for what's most important to everyone - the game drives. Out of this world as usual. No matter who you have for a ranger and tracker you'll be thrilled! Phil, Ryan, Armand, Roy, and Brett are terrific. We had people trying to lean out of the truck to take a photo of a lion 4 ft from the truck, a guest who made our ranger stop the truck so they could pee for 15 minutes while rushing to a Leopard sighting (yes, that ticked us off severely, still fuming actually as we missed seeing the Leopard) and both "situations" were handled quickly by the rangers. Safety is a top priority as many guests can't seem to grasp that the animals are wild and not tame zoo critters. We saw the Big 5 almost every day and even managed a rare Cheetah and Serval sighting!! Special thanks to Roy and Patrick for one of the best stays we've had. Phil you were equally incredible, thanks!!

Ashleigh and Marilize are fabulous and out of this world (love you guys!), and the spa staff are wonderful. Highly recommend a pedicure and hydrating facial!!

Our bush home away from home. Visit Arathusa and you'll see why we can't wait to return each year! We started with a 4 day booking this year and ended up
staying 6!! Can't wait until next July!!!!

Thanks everyone!! See you next year!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank youngtravellers99

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This review is long overdue, as I was at Arathusa back in January 2012, but better late than never.

I'd never been on safari before, and was a little hesitant to do so by myself. I'm a city person but thought it'd be fun to try something new. And it was!

Within 2 days, I'd seen the Big 5. Everyone at the lodge was a lot of fun and helped make everyone feel at home. The food was great, and the lodging was excellent. There were rooms closer to the main part of the lodge and I stayed a little farther away - about a 5 minute walk. At night, a guide would walk with just in case animals were roaming...which was exciting and cool to know yore really out there.

I'd highly recommend this to any friends going on safari. Its a long flight from New York, so I'm not sure when I'll get to return, but I hope to be back someday...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My husband and I had an incredible time at Arathusa!  The rooms were clean and comfortable...not to small.   We had a Great outdoor shower , a front patio with lounger chairs and a fridge/ mini bar.   The chef on site is incredible!!  Every meal was delish and different!  We had an incredible guide and tacker (Chris and Britt)!  We saw the big five multiple times and  so much more!  We would definitely recommend this lodge to friends and family!  The clientele was a mix if couples, families and friends so you got good diverse groups.  The clientele was also from all around the world (not just all Americans) which my husband and I love when we travel! We met so many great people!  The communal area is great with fireplaces, sofas, the pool and bar and everyone congregates there throughout the day! We had the best time and would recommend it to anyone!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Super nice resort. Very dedicated, enthusiatic and knowledgable people doing the safaris. It was really cool. The safari is awesome. Great and very delicious food

Room Tip: Spend the extra money, and get the Luxury rooms.
1  Thank Dykker
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Wonderful safari lodge, with excellent rooms and localization, in probably the best ares in Kruger Park for animal sightings.

2  Thank Tito L
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I'd read the rave reviews so was pretty confident when we booked in here. I echo what everyone else says - the accommodation was safari stylish, the service friendly and I have to admit to a wee crush on Jason the ranger. What did was surprise me was the food. Every night the chef comes out and runs through his inspired 4 course menu, which arrives at your table looking 5 star. All of it was delicious. We tried impala, springbok, ostrich, crocodile and my favourite, warthog. Vegetarian dishes looked great too.
We saw the Big 5 and 3.5 of the 'little 5'. It took a while to adjust to the fact it was the wild and not a zoo. There are no vets and no interventions. We saw killing and eating and it was a bit confronting but amazing. Sunrises are spectacular too. Bring a book though: there's no TV.
When we were there the place was full of honeymooners so I was pleased not to be a solo traveller. We booked the standard rooms which are near the watering hole and close to the main area so we were happy with that.

4  Thank Joanna B
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Arathusa Lodge offers awesome game viewing, excellent rangers and trackers and wonderful accomodations! We saw the Big Five twice over and had plenty of experiences to share with our friends back home. Our last day out was like a page out of National Geographic with a pride and their kill. Stunning grounds, helpful front desk and not to mention a chef on site with delicious food. It was definetly worth the price. We stayed at the luxury lodge which was a little away from the other lodges, but our room was spacious, had mosquito netting for the bed, an indoor shower and tub and an outdoor shower and a private plunge pool. We felt one with nature and the entire experience was phenomenal. I highly recommend staying at this lodge.

Room Tip: Luxury lodge was awesome, I can't say that I saw the other rooms though.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
#15 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Umkumbe Safari Lodge
Umkumbe Safari Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Nkorho Bush Lodge
Nkorho Bush Lodge
#14 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Arathusa Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!