All reviewswatering holefacing roomwater holegame drivessabi sandsoutdoor showerwild dogsother guestsresident hippocape buffalosouth africaelephants drinkingherd of elephantsmosquito netinfinity pooloff roadbush walk
Reviewed 1 November 2017

Overall experience exceeded expectations and provided for an unforgettable experience. The accommodation was perfect - loved the outdoor shower! The game drives provided memories to last a lifetime. Ray and Chris were the best ranger and tracker that we could ever have wished for: knowledgeable, amusing, accommodating and so respectful of the animals. We were blessed to see all of the Big 5 in one drive - a rare occurence! The meals were well-presented, tasty and there was variety from day to day. Fantastic last dinner was a brai under the starlit sky and the final breakfast was in a clearing off-site. Such a surprise and a perfect ending to an outstanding vacation.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 31 October 2017

My husband, myself and our two sons have just had the most fantastic stay at Arathusa Safari Lodge. My sons were in a water-facing room and my husband and I were in a bush-facing room. Both rooms were superb. The lodge is friendly, intimate, authentic and beautifully appointed. Staff were attentive and helpful, and our safari guide Sebastian was absolutely brilliant. He was professional, knowledgable and his enthusiasm was infectious. The walking safari we did with him was a particular highlight. The meals in the lodge were fantastic, beautifully cooked, tasty and well-presented, breakfast was especially good. We were fortunate to share our safari with like-minded people and this made the experience really special. We would not hesitate to return to this lodge and we recommend it unreservedly.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, bush-facing rooms have a private plunge pool.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mish M
Reviewed 30 October 2017

My wife and I spent three enjoyable days at Arathusa Safari Lodge in October of 2017.

We were very impressed and pleased with our lodging. The room contained a sofa, numerous chairs, a large comfortable bed surrounded with mosquito netting (even though we saw no bugs during our visit), a room safe, a small refrigerator, a double sink, bathtub, an indoor shower, and a large outdoor shower area.

Housekeeping always had the room cleaned upon our returned from our morning game drive and turndown service always occurred during our evening game drive.

A personal note in our room listed all of the pertinent times associated with our stay.
Starting times for morning and evening gave drives, meal times, and wake-up call time.

After each game drive the lobby staff met us with smiles, a warm wash cloth, and either juice or a cordial of liquor.

Unfortunately as other reviewers have indicated the watering hole in front of the lodge is dry and has been dry for some time. I can only imagine how beautiful this lodge would be if the watering hole was full of water. That said we still saw monkeys/baboons, warthogs, antelope, and various birds in the dry bed during our stay.

WI-Fi was available in the bar/lobby area. The speed and reliability was acceptable but did vary depending upon the number of guests using the network at the time.

Our driver, Roy, and tracker, Chris did an excellent job of positioning our safari vehicle for great photo opportunities. Many time shifting the vehicle to get the sun behind us, illuminating the animals for near perfect pictures.

We visited Sabi Sands for its purportedly high concentration of leopards. We were not disappointed. On our first game drive we viewed two leopards including Tingana, the dominant male leopard of the area in a tree with an impala kill next to him. (& a large male lion walking below the tree forlornly looking upwards at the meal he wasn’t going to get) At the same time a herd of impala in a rather agitated state could be observed a short distance away.

We observed leopards on three of our six game drives.

Arathusa safari vehicles are allowed to go off road in pursuit of the Big Five. This allowed us to get within feet of rhinos, leopards, and prides of lions. I felt like I was in a tank when the vehicle began driving over small trees and going through thick brush to place us in position to observe these animals.

Other highlights of the trip was viewing a male lion on our night drive and catching a short but good viewing of a pack of painted dogs.

I would not hesitate to recommend to our friends a stay at Arathusa Safari Lodge.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I loved Arathusa! We were blown away by the exclusivity of the game drives and the impeccable staff. We got so close to Lions eating a giraffe, saw a Hyena while eating dinner, and had the most experienced Game rangers. It is worth every penny, you get a lot more than you bargained for! :) great Honeymoon Safari destination.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Arathusa is incredible! Every aspect of my stay there was perfect. The rooms are gorgeous (I stayed in a water hole facing room for 3 nights and a bush facing room for 2 nights), the service is fabulous, the food is great, and the best part is the amazing wildlife! Every drive was a new adventure...I couldn't wait to see what we'd find next. Lions, leopards, elephants, giraffes, zebra, impala, monkeys, hippos, rhinos, cape buffalo, birds...we saw it all! Our ranger, Jamie, and our tracker, Debeers, were awesome - very knowledgeable, great at finding the animals, and also very respectful of the wildlife, the properties we drove on, and the passengers. This was my first trip to South Africa and now I want to go back every year to stay at Arathusa again!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo