“Idube is amazing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Idube Game Reserve Lodge
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at Idube Reserve and loved every second of it! I cannot fault a single thing.... I saw the Big Five on the first drive, and on every other drive, I saw them again in different locations and doing different things.... We were also lucky enough to see Giraffes!!! They were amazing to watch..... The food was excellent! So much choice and completely different every meal time...tasted ostrich - which was lovely.....I was a lone traveller, and everyone made me feel very welcome.... The staff all knew you by name, and which lodge you were staying in.... The lodges had everything you needed from tea making, hair dryer, South African adaptor! The little touches that make all the difference!!! I would have no hesitation in returning again one day, and would definitely recommend this Reserve... Small, friendly and first class in my eyes!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sexykazzie60

Reviewed 10 November 2013

As it was my first time (although I travelled with a friend that had been on many safaris), I didn't know at all what to expect. It took a bit of getting used to, having to be escorted after dark (basically once you get back from the second safari excursion), bugs everywhere, and early morning wakeup calls. The staff were lovely, they all got to know the guests on a first name basis.
Our ranger (Andreis) was great, very informative and he really searched hard for the things we wanted to see. I asked a million and a half questions about all the different animals, all the way to the common birds and he patiently answered all of my questions. After several days (we had a total of three nights) I felt like a pro being able to recognize many of the birds and all the antelope.
We got to see the Big 5 quite easily, actually seeing leopard 4 out of the 4 days we were there. My friend helped organize our trip and she told me that Idube (or perhaps Sabi Sands as the other camps in the area would have the same excursion areas) is known for leopard sighting. The very first night we saw a leopard and her cub on a kill with a baby impala. I would suggest to go on safari during late Oct/early Nov as it definitely was baby season. All four girls in my group were ooing and ahhing over all the cute babies! My favorite was a tiny baby elephant that was just weeks old (we also saw a buffalo maybe an hour old still slick) and it's herd playing in water, some completely submerged in the pond.
The only things I was not completely satisfied with was the food and the rooms. Breakfast was the best meal, however some days they had a menu you could order from, some days not. However, you can ask the ladies to make you eggs or an omelet and they will happily oblige, however it is not written anywhere if you didn't know. Lunch and dinner was hit and miss--some days there was only one choice and if you didn't like that type of meat (could be a type of antelope for example), then you were out of luck.
We stayed in the regular rooms and while the room was perfectly alright, I felt the space was a bit small and the bedroom area was not as nice for a 4 star quality. The bathroom was 4-5 star quality however, with a huge bathtub, nice shower, and separate sinks.
Overall, I would have no problem coming back as everyone was absolutely lovely (another ranger, Rob, stood out to me as being especially cheerful), but I would probably like to visit another place to see what is the difference.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I came to Sabi Sands for 3 nights with friends, 2 at Idube and 1 at Kirkmans (based further to the south of the reserve and around 10% more expensive net).
Idube was very enjoyable especially the safari - we could not fault the quality of the drives or guides. However as a resort to stay in, there are some areas where they fell short compared with what we experienced at Kirkmans:
1. Dinner - although the food was good, it was a buffet and there was limited choice. We were also made to sit at a large table with other guests when we'd have rather had a table to ourselves
2. Rooms - the rooms were large, clean and comfortable but there was limited design or personal touches to add to the experience
3. The pool - as you've got 7 hours between drives, the pool is a good way to relax and cool down when it gets hot. At Idube they have a novelty shaped pool with an island in the middle and no one appears to clean it daily meaning it's not used much by the guests. They also don't have staff offering drinks at the pool.
4. Drinks - At Idube they charged for all drinks (water, bar drinks and wine during dinner), this was not the case at Kirkmans
Overall I don't regret the time spent at Idube but for the price charged I'd probably pay a bit more and get a lot more at Kirkmans.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We spend 4 days at Idube on our 4th safari this year. 4 completely different experiences but this was the best. Idube is now managed by a new young couple who has 5 star experiences from previous jobs. This shows. Services are in top, staff fantastic and area very very nice. You will see all the animals you imagine on the game drive/walks and even in camp.
Accommodation is nice and clean. We had a mega fantastic outside shower which was visited by an elephant during visit.
Food and service very good considering you are in the bush. They organised an amassing bush dinner/BBQ under a tree. Will newer forget the food, wine and sounds of animals around us. Got some very good photos of animals which where not "hunted" like on other trips. Top guides with respect for nature.
Looking forward to our next visit beginning of 2014

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Every single thing about this experience was fantastic. The guides and the staff were amazing, the food and lodging were top notch. We saw every animal that we wanted to see, and saw them often. I cannot think of a way that it could have been better. Much, much better than I expected.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AdamRules
Reviewed 16 October 2013

It was one of the most agradable experiences that i´ve ever had. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. We easily fell free in the first minute.
Is very interesting and exciting to be hosted in a private game reserve, competely opened, the animals walk free and very close, impalas, warthogs and even a leopard.
The food was always good, the dinner is very nice, in the open air, with a bonfire in the middle of a circle of tables. Before the dinner the rangers talk with us, we change experiences drinking something while the dinner is ready.
The rangers and tracker were incredible responsibles and competents on safaris and always friendly. Thank you Andrei and Ronaldo, our game ranger and tracker.
On the second day, while we had a breakfast in an opened area the ranger showed a leopard, 30 meters from us, he was eating an impala. Everybody was taking pictures when suddenlly the leopard came running in our direction. But the ranger soon protected us doing the right moviments that are indicated to scary the animal. Despite the danger, was an amazing experience and unforgettable forever.
Few bugs can appear during the night into the bedroom but it´s normal, after all it´s a reserve. Overnight is forbidden to leave the room. The rooms has an alarm in case of emergency. After the dinner and early in the morning the guard will pick you up in the room.
I completely reccommend Idube and i hope i can come back there soon.

Room Tip: The alarm of emergences in room 9 was not working well. Please check in the moment that they will sh...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ClaraAB
Reviewed 7 October 2013

It is my 1st safari. Stayed at the lodge for 5 days, seen all animal including a fight between male/female lion in less than 20 feet. The ranger, Okkur (apologize if I mis-spell) is awesome as well as the tracker Titus. Both of them are very professional and friendly. Food and accomodation is great as already mentioned a lot here. The chef, Chris, loves sushi and I will later send her a video program about the best sushi shop & master in Japan. All the staff there are very helpful. A family from Austria was there and they discovered a leopard resting in their patio when they are back from dinner! I travel solo but all the guest I met there are friendly. A really enjoyable and relaxing vacation. Here is something which I experience:

(1) Eyewear - don't wear contact lens as fine dust particle encounter in game drive will hurt your eyes. Even when inside the air-con van from Nelspruit airport to the lodge my eye not feeling good as some fine dust particle must have entered the van.

(2) Clothing - no need to bring lots of cloth for change as their laundry service is inexpensive and normally can return within the same date.

(3) Photography - Fast lens (i.e. with large aperture) that can zoom to 300mm is more useful; as it will be getting darker and darker during the afternoon game drive. I sometimes use my phone to take video and snap shot which is very handy. Bean bag or tipod no use during game drive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank STNF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
#13 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
#17 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Idube Game Reserve Lodge? Share your experiences!