“Safari to rank with the best”

Idube Game Reserve Lodge
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Safari to rank with the best”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Having been many times to Londolozi we were a bit doubtful as to whether Idube would compare at half the price. It may lack some of the luxuries but who wants a butler in the African bush! Accommodation was very comfortable, every couple had a like a cabin in the woods, food was superior to Londoz, all served in the Boma with an excellent choice of wine. Andreas was our Ranger who was first class, game viewing was as good as Londoz (obviously the same animals as they are not that far apart) saw big 5 on our first 2 drives and really close to amazing cats. So don't hesitate, we will definitely be returning sonn and at half the cost we can go for twice as long!

Room Tip: All much the same and we were in standard which we're fine.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Finnish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We arrived at the lodge in the evening after a bumpy ride from the airport. The staff met us with welcoming drinks and told us plan for the next day. I don't think we slept that night as we were so excited to be going on safari in the morning. Wessels was our guide and we also had a spotter who's name slips my mind. Together over the four days they showed us all the promised animals and more. We even had the god fortune to see a pride of lions feeding on a dead buffalo and a once in a life time visit from an elephant right near our private suite. He/she was thirsty so had a drink from our private pool and splashed some over his/her body and wandered off! Would highly recommend this game reserve. Actually some friends are leaving for the same park in Jan2014!!

Room Tip: The Makubela Lodges are the most comfortable but they cost a little more!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

just bk from Idube game reserve, stayed for 3 days, what i would say top draw, we were looked after with great respect form the moment we arrived, until we left, lovely weather, lovely food, all the staff were lovely to be with, 3 meals per day, all good presentation and quality, Lovely Acommodation, air com, , had 5 safari rides, with Rob and Titus, saw all the big 5, plus lots more, great experience, and would i go back, goes without saying,

Room Tip: ive no complaints,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 22 November 2013

When we arrived at Idube Reserve from Kruger Airport, we were met by a small welcoming committee with cool towels to freshen up. The staff were always helpful and friendly. Our rooms were comfortable and well equipped. I liked the homey feeling at dinner. Since it had been drizzling, we ate in the covered (but open-sided) dining room, rather than around a fire. The excellent dinners were served buffet style, with most guests sitting at one long table. We had a great safari team; Titus was our tracker and Rob was our ranger. They were both very knowledgeable and answered all our questions. I will always remember careening through the brush in the drizzle to catch up with a large male leopard that had come into the territory. We drove alongside him, ignored, as he looked for game. We saw most, if not all, of the Big Five each day along with other animals and on the last drive at dusk, we saw all of the Big Five at close range. We were lucky enough to see giraffes. We were very close to rhinos, were surrounded by a herd of elephants and watched a lion pride "on the move". We also witnessed a jungle melodrama as a pride of lions watched over the remains of their kill while hyenas and vultures circled. All in all, a great experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CanuckTravellers02
Scotland
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

I recently spent 3 nights at Idube Reserve and loved every second of it! I cannot fault a single thing.... I saw the Big Five on the first drive, and on every other drive, I saw them again in different locations and doing different things.... We were also lucky enough to see Giraffes!!! They were amazing to watch..... The food was excellent! So much choice and completely different every meal time...tasted ostrich - which was lovely.....I was a lone traveller, and everyone made me feel very welcome.... The staff all knew you by name, and which lodge you were staying in.... The lodges had everything you needed from tea making, hair dryer, South African adaptor! The little touches that make all the difference!!! I would have no hesitation in returning again one day, and would definitely recommend this Reserve... Small, friendly and first class in my eyes!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sexykazzie60
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 10 November 2013

As it was my first time (although I travelled with a friend that had been on many safaris), I didn't know at all what to expect. It took a bit of getting used to, having to be escorted after dark (basically once you get back from the second safari excursion), bugs everywhere, and early morning wakeup calls. The staff were lovely, they all got to know the guests on a first name basis.
Our ranger (Andreis) was great, very informative and he really searched hard for the things we wanted to see. I asked a million and a half questions about all the different animals, all the way to the common birds and he patiently answered all of my questions. After several days (we had a total of three nights) I felt like a pro being able to recognize many of the birds and all the antelope.
We got to see the Big 5 quite easily, actually seeing leopard 4 out of the 4 days we were there. My friend helped organize our trip and she told me that Idube (or perhaps Sabi Sands as the other camps in the area would have the same excursion areas) is known for leopard sighting. The very first night we saw a leopard and her cub on a kill with a baby impala. I would suggest to go on safari during late Oct/early Nov as it definitely was baby season. All four girls in my group were ooing and ahhing over all the cute babies! My favorite was a tiny baby elephant that was just weeks old (we also saw a buffalo maybe an hour old still slick) and it's herd playing in water, some completely submerged in the pond.
The only things I was not completely satisfied with was the food and the rooms. Breakfast was the best meal, however some days they had a menu you could order from, some days not. However, you can ask the ladies to make you eggs or an omelet and they will happily oblige, however it is not written anywhere if you didn't know. Lunch and dinner was hit and miss--some days there was only one choice and if you didn't like that type of meat (could be a type of antelope for example), then you were out of luck.
We stayed in the regular rooms and while the room was perfectly alright, I felt the space was a bit small and the bedroom area was not as nice for a 4 star quality. The bathroom was 4-5 star quality however, with a huge bathtub, nice shower, and separate sinks.
Overall, I would have no problem coming back as everyone was absolutely lovely (another ranger, Rob, stood out to me as being especially cheerful), but I would probably like to visit another place to see what is the difference.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I came to Sabi Sands for 3 nights with friends, 2 at Idube and 1 at Kirkmans (based further to the south of the reserve and around 10% more expensive net).
Idube was very enjoyable especially the safari - we could not fault the quality of the drives or guides. However as a resort to stay in, there are some areas where they fell short compared with what we experienced at Kirkmans:
1. Dinner - although the food was good, it was a buffet and there was limited choice. We were also made to sit at a large table with other guests when we'd have rather had a table to ourselves
2. Rooms - the rooms were large, clean and comfortable but there was limited design or personal touches to add to the experience
3. The pool - as you've got 7 hours between drives, the pool is a good way to relax and cool down when it gets hot. At Idube they have a novelty shaped pool with an island in the middle and no one appears to clean it daily meaning it's not used much by the guests. They also don't have staff offering drinks at the pool.
4. Drinks - At Idube they charged for all drinks (water, bar drinks and wine during dinner), this was not the case at Kirkmans
Overall I don't regret the time spent at Idube but for the price charged I'd probably pay a bit more and get a lot more at Kirkmans.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
#16 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Nkorho Bush Lodge
Nkorho Bush Lodge
#15 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Idube Game Reserve Lodge? Share your experiences!