“Fabulous Adventure/Safari”

andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp
Somerset, New Jersey
“Fabulous Adventure/Safari”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This was my first Safari and I fell in love. Our Ranger, Brett, and our Tracker were wonderful. Brett's passion and knowledge added to our game drives. We saw the big five and had wonderful, long, repeated sightings. It was magical........Our room was very comfortable with a patio outside and A/C inside. The food and service were very, very good and I certainly would go back and recommend this place to my friends,

Room Tip: I was in room 3 which was close to the main house and very convenient to run and freshen up and chan...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Knysna
Reviewed 24 February 2014

What a special place - my wife and I have been on many safaris throughout Africa. This has to be the best area for Leopard sightings. Out of eight game drives we had seven Leopard sightings. They were exceptional. we obviously saw the rest of the big five as well.

The guides were so professional! and all staff make you feel so welcome.
The food was excellent'

Room Tip: This is the place to see the big five and be pampered by friendly well trained staff.
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was my second visit to Kirkmans Kamp (last in 1998). I spent 3 amazing nights here would recommend it highly. Brendan the camp manager runs a very good operation. First class guides backed up by brilliant trackers. Helpful happy staff excellent food.Well done "andBeyond. Peter.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Being local, I have had the pleasure of traveling to Kirkmans over a length of time spanning 10 years. Having said this, each and every visit has left me gob smacked - with my last visit being non the different. The entire staff seemed aligned, Brendan (lodge manager) was engaging, friendly and helpful. This attribute seemed to cascade throughout the camp with all staff ( security guard to manager) being guest centric. The food was brilliant and the accommodation clean, neat with all amenities in working condition.

What makes Kirkmans stand head and shoulders above other competitors is the frequency of viewing leopard. My recent trip involved me viewing leopard on every drive. If you wish to view relaxed (accustomed to the vehicle) leopards in the wild - Kirkmans is your lodge. We'll done to Brett Devin (ranger), Kollen ( tracker), Agnes (servant) and Brendan for making my stay brilliant!!!!

Thanks and regards,
Griffin Short

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Thegrifster
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband, adult daughter and I arrived at Kirkman's for our first every safari. What a treat to be greeted with cold homemade lemonade, and warm hello's from staff. Our service was exceptional though out the stay. Cynthia saw to our every need.

Our game rides were fantastic, great animal sightings and lots of fun with our ranger JP and guide Richard. They were experts at finding the animals and very knowledgeable. JP is a great story teller and always added excitement.

We really enjoyed the environment at Kirkman's. Getting to know the others in our group was a plus and comparing notes in the bar and at meals was nice too.

We had an outstanding 3 days.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dubai
Reviewed 8 February 2014

5 stars because I have had 2 outstanding stays here already, however my most recent stay was rather dismaying...

Firstly allow me to get all the positives out of the way! The game viewing was cooking while we were there and fortunately we managed to get to see pretty much all the action, including a leopard making a kill and dragging the kill to her very young cub... this was truly once in a lifetime!!! The accommodation was standard Kirkman's and was clean, well tended and comfortable.

We have travelled to andBeyond Exeter River Lodge (twice), @Beyond Dulini (when it was still @Beyond), Kirkman's Kamp (3 times), Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge (twice), Sabi Sabi Little Bush, Lion Sands and Chitwa Chitwa. Whilst all the lodges have been outstanding, we had thought that we had finally found an annual retreat with Kirkman's Kamp and Exeter River Lodge... but after our 7 days with @Beyond are feeling a little neglected and in two minds about returning.

So what happened? I will write a separate review for Exeter River Lodge and will now focus on the things that disappointed us over our 4 nights at Kirkman's.

As we really enjoyed the experience with our last guide and taking into account this being our 3rd visit we phoned ahead of time to find out if we could have the same guide again... denied even though he was there the entire time and his guests arrived the same day as us... he even had the one guest alone for a while until that guest was rejoined by others. Ok this is not a big deal... we can live with it and were introduced to our guide. Because this is in the public domain I shall refrain from using any names.

Our guide was generally last to arrive, did not track the animals like the other guides but rather responded to sightings. He did not appeared to be very interested in actively seeking out the animals but appeared comfortable responding. A very different experience to our guides in ALL the other lodges. Strangely enough there were two guides who pretty much found EVERYTHING and one of them was our previous (requested) guide. Not a problem really because we managed to see the animals they found with the exception of one... and it was a biggie for us! Our guide also managed to get us embroiled in the red tape of responding to a sighting... basically because we never found anything ourselves... we had to wait! Now for someone like me who had just spent $20 000 on a camera, I was also requiring some good light and unfortunately we always seemed to get to the evening sightings in poor light because of the red tape in how long the guide who found the animal can stay with the animal... Did not enjoy!

As we knew our previous guide from the year before we were friendly and there was some good natured banter between us (I thought)... For example when we responded to one of his sightings and he had left we told him that the leopard had gone and hunted the Impala nearby (which was not true and he knew it and we told him as much). One morning our guide decided to take us all the way to Lion Sands after heavy rain and as a result we were not allowed to go off road. While we were there the big male leopard we were desperately wanting to see had been found by our previous guide not far from Kirkman's Kamp. We raced there only to be told that the leopard had swum across the river. What I did not appreciate it that our previous guide then told us how amazing the sighting was, how they followed the leopard scent marking in the road, how they followed him through the bush and how he lay down on the rocks in the sun for a long time posing for photos. When he saw the shocked look on my face he said he was kidding and that the leopard was only with them for a few minutes before getting lost in the reeds and crossing the river. I believed him and thought the good natured banter was continuing. Unfortunately a day later a guest on his vehicle showed us the photos... scent marking in the road, walking in the bush and laying on the rocks right next to the vehicle... an epic sighting with the most beautiful photos... the whole affair left a bad taste in my mouth.

The food was below the usual standard with burn't cakes everyday. The creme brule was runny and in general the standard was lower than our last visit.

In general we felt the standard has gone down and we will not be back to Kirkman's.

4 Thank mlondozi
SamanthaOnSafari, Manager at andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello Mlondozi,

Your review is most appreciated; thank you so much for taking the time to post and share your recent experience at andBeyond Kirkman’s Kamp. While we are happy that there were aspects of your stay you enjoyed, it is most disappointing to hear that not all lived up to your expectations. Your valued comments are most appreciated and enable us to ensure we get it right for our future guests. As I mentioned in my direct correspondence to you, please be assured that your concerns have been attended to with our team. I do hope that you will return as we would love to welcome you back and spoil you in the andBeyond style that you have become accustomed too.

Kind regards
Kevin
Regional Director
Le Bar-sur-Loup, France
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Visited mid December and stayed for three nights at Kirkman's Camp. Our room was great, plenty of room and a comfortable bed. The service and food and were excellent, the location of the camp is wonderful and there is a great feeling of space at the lodge, Our tracker and ranger were very good and with their extensive knowledge of the flora and fauna and their combined abilities to find game made it a special trip for us.
Made use of the pool while there and also thought the shop at the lodge was well stocked with some useful items, bought a nice hat !!
My only criticism is the lodge is getting a little tired and in need of some TLC.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple