“Amazing stay”
Review of Dulini Lodge

Dulini Lodge
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We recently spent 4 nights at Dulini. It was the stay of a lifetime.

A few things that make Dulini stand out:

1) Generally caring staff. You can't train people to care. From the manager on down everyone was there to make our stay amazing.

2) Only 12 people allowed. This means no more than 6 per car. This is KEY to a good experience on the game drives, and isn't this what you are really there for?

3) Excellent driver and tracker. We felt like we were leaving friends when we finally said goodbye. If the animals were around we stayed out. On several of our drives we were out nearly 4 hours.

4) Flexibility. My wife is a picky eater and they addressed this by telling us in advance what was being offered and if she didn't like it, she could ask for an alternative.

We truly had an amazing stay and I hope to return.

Room Tip: Room #6 is the most private. Rooms 1-4 seem to have the best views of the riverbed and animals.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lucycan

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Not sure why I've taken so long to write my review on my stay since this is the best travel experience I've ever had This property and staff are OUTSTANDING.

Lodging - The bungolo's are warm and inviting, elegant and super comfortable. The beds are perfect and its so quiet. I was concerned about privacy since there was an outdoor shower that I used and the way in which each property is situated allows complete privacy. We enjoyed the small property with I think only up to 12 people at a time. The room had a fully stocked bar and snacks. The main lodge was nice if you preferred to step away from your room for a bit to chat with the staff or other visitors, have a drink or read a book.

Safri Drives - The best part of the trip were the game drives. Our ranger and guides were Patrick and Tyrone. If they are still working there you must insist on riding with them. Patrick did an outstanding job of getting us sooo close to everything - just perfect!!! We arrived for the afternoon drive and were the only ones on the truck. The next morning there was only one other couple and finally the next day a total of 6 people max. It's those small attention to details that makes Dulini so wonderful. We saw other lodges with packed trucks...they looked a little jealous ;-)

The food..absolutely wonderful. It was amazing to walk out to see gourmet food in such a remote location. They made sure to situate everyone in special places each night too. You will not be disappointed with the food so dont worry about that.

We were really sad to leave this property. Not one single detail to complain about here. Planning on doing the Migration in 2013 and also see my review on Ngala Tented Camp.

Room Tip: Not a bad room on the property. Didnt matter if you were a little farther away from the main lodge s...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Phoenix
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The many accolades this lodge receives are so well deserved - we have stayed at many of the "higher end" Sabi Sand lodges and none were as good as this. The standard, size, comfort and location of the suites was vastly superior and at less cost to any previously experienced in Sabi Sand and the staff, as always with the case of andBeyond teams went the extra mile at every opportunity - from housekeeper to ranger to lodge hostess, Gift, who keeps a "special box of surprises" from which she regularly produced the most delighful experiences that did so much to enhance our stay.

The great, and consistent, thing about all the andBeyond lodge teams, is apart from their attention to detail, their overarching commitment to care of the land, care of the animals and care of the people. The world class sightings we were fortunate to experience were managed with sensitivity in terms of the animals and our desire to photograph or often just sit in awe of the power and beauty of Mother Nature.

A truly unforgettable experience in a most beautiful setting that has left us with indelible memories and a commitment to return next year for our 10th consecutive visit to an andBeyond location

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GREENSEssex
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is our first time on safari and we certainly picked the best lodge in Sabi Sand. Incredible staff and every day is a surprise from sunrise to sunset! The room is very comfortable - big suite with a lovely terrace. Gift and Isaac our lodge managers were always attentiv and most helpful. Our butler, Freddy, was superb - makes a great spicy bloody mary! There was so much food and all so good. Our ranger William and tracker Colbert were superb - will always remember the encounter with the rhinos spoiling our evening drinks and being in the path of buffaloes running away from 4 male lions!!! William makes great pancakes in the bush- again we almost didn't make it to that as a male elephant decided to drink at the water hole where the lodge staff had set up the braas for our bush breakfast!! Unfortunately our original tracker, Isaac, took ill so Colbert took over - Isaac was superb too. We were fortunate that we had the jeep and drives all to ourselves as the other group wanted to stay together, so William would get us out walking close to rhinos and giraffes. What a priceless experience! Our last morning game drive topped it all - it felt like all the animals showed up to say goodbye - we managed to find the 4 lionnes with their 4 cubs surviving the chase from the 4 young lions. So happy to see that all the cubs are alive leaving us with wonderful thoughts and hopeful for the lionnes and their cubs. Sad to leave - excellent trip and a big thank you to all the staff at Dulini!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Dulini
         Since this lodge and Kirklands Kamp and the River lodge which I visited are all managed by the excellent  And Beyond organization, my comments generally apply to
All three (no meals taken at River).  All three are located in the Sabi Sands Reserve.
         Leisha the manager and Freddy the waiter did everything possible to make our us feel welcome and took care of all our need.  I had very enjoyable meals shared wit Leisha,
William the ranger And Issac who manages in Leisha's absence and ith go-to guy at the lodge.
       In this lodge as well as Kirklands we were fortunat to see and interact with the big 5
On two of my four days.  Amazing interaction of a Leopard vs. a Buffalo herd protecting
A buffalo calf with a broken leg.   Passing next to our vehicle were four male lions that had just come in to this area, Killed the former alpha lion and now searching to do the same to the two remain male lions.  Incredibly exciting to view these animals as they eached pased by ang looked us over.
     My comments about these meals apply to both this lodge and to the Kirklands Kamp.  I would in the future enquire as to the entrees being served and what alternatives would be available.  I am sure they will be able to satisfy your request.
     I expected a greater variety dishes to select from, and more creatively prepared vegetable side dishes.  While most of the entrees were good, some like the kudo steak at the Boma dinner or the ostrich cuts served my last lunch were tough and difficult to eat. Other reviews said food was abundant but excluding two scheduled beverage and pastry snack meals prior to game rides and short beverage stops duriing game drives, I found the meals adequate and filling.  I would not let these minor negatives regarding meals preventing my revisit to these lodges.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MiamiHappy_Traveler
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed 3 nights at Dulini Lodge and can sincerely recommend it as the ultimate safari experience. This is our second trip there and both times were exceptional!

The accommodation is luxurious and private - Dulini only has 6 chalets. The food is excellent and more than abundant. Each client is allocated a "personal butler" who attends to your every need at meal times - both Freddie (first time) and Annah (this time) were so attentive. At each meal the chef personally visits your table to explain the menu - Lindiwe & Gift are both outstanding chefs.

All staff always address you by name and remember your preferences throughout your stay. The atmosphere is warm and friendly and fun. They go out their way to surprise you with private dinners on your deck or champagne in a tree in the bush. Personal hand-written notes welcome you and are left throughout your stay. One of the guests on our trip didnt eat red meat so a special package was send with on the game drive for her with a personal message. Attention to detail is outstanding!

We were priveledged enough both trips to have the formidable team of William and Isaac as ranger and tracker. They are excellent at their jobs - they go out of their way to satisfy each and every client on the vehicle. Besides both being extremely knowledgeable, they make each game drive extreme fun. The viewing is exceptional - this time we got to follow both leopards and lions besides seeing the remainder of the Big 5 and other game. William and Isaac work well with other rangers in the area to ensure you get the best sightings.

The only downside is having to leave - you feel so much in the company of friends that you want to stay forever!

Room Tip: All the rooms are identical and on the riverbed
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This is a long overdue review of this fantastic property. I stayed at the Dulini lodge for two nights as part of two week journey through South Africa. I am certainly glad that Dulini was my final destination, as it is an incredible property offering excellent service levels and superb accommodations.

What I Liked

Honestly, it may seem somewhat of an exaggeration, but I really liked almost everything about this property. First of all, the service was refined, personable, and professional. The staff at Dulini probably provided me with the best service I have had the opportunity to experience in all my travels around the world. Greetings were always warm and genuine. Staff members remembered all my preferences and anticipated my needs, bringing me my favorite South African beverage (an Appletiser) without me ever having to ask. The setting and size of the lodge is very intimate (I believe only 6 villas), so the focus really is on personal service.

The accommodations were absolutely stellar as well. The individual villas were huge, each with a separate sitting area, a large bathroom with a soaking tub and shower, and a nice large deck facing the adjacent river bed (which was dry during my winter stay). There even was an outdoor shower and plunge pool, although the cool temperatures prevented me from enjoying either during my stay. Each villa was located far away enough from one another to provide a sense of absolute privacy. I honestly felt like I was truly in my own homestead out on the South African bush.

Food was always plentiful and very well prepared. I especially liked the wide variety of salads on offer during lunch, offering a lighter alternative to a heavier afternoon meal (although I did overindulge). Dinners were set in the small, intimate boma, or on my second evening, a surprise dinner in my villa. Breakfast was also a treat, as the staff always comes up with various surprises, such as preparing breakfast out on one of the dry river beds.

I did partake in the twice daily game viewing drives on offer, and the Dulini rangers and trackers provided an excellent experience. Ranger Andrew and Tracker Phixson kept the drive educational, informative, and fun. There was never a dull moment to be had during our drives, and they ensured we saw all the reserve had on offer, including all Big Five and any other special interests the passengers in the vehicle had.

What I Didn't Like

Honestly, I would have a hard time finding fault in the property. Everything was so very well run and I had a fantastic time. What I liked the least is that I had to leave - I could have stayed for a couple of extra nights.

Other Tips

Across my travels through South Africa, I found Sabi Sand to be the highlight, and Dulini in particular was my favorite. Plan on staying here at least three nights to take full advantage of everything on offer.

While there, take advantage of lounging on the deck near the pool, as you can watch the various wildlife passing through the lodge and see the occasional elephant grazing on the other side of the river.

Be aware that although wi-fi internet is available, it is slow. Other guests during my stay were complaining about the speed. Personally, I didn't care because being in the middle of the bush, I wasn't expecting to do any high speed internet surfing, I just wanted to relax.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Royal Malewane
Royal Malewane
#7 of 176 in Kruger National Park
Tintswalo Safari Lodge
Tintswalo Safari Lodge
#1 of 7 in Manyeleti Game Reserve

Been to Dulini Lodge? Share your experiences!