By far the largest and most luxurious lodging of our 3+ weeks in Africa and a wonderful way to end our trip. Service was reserved, but exemplary--in keeping with the air of understated elegance. Privacy was assured for all 3 freestanding suites (4th is used only if you book sole-use of the facility). Spacious LR, BR, and ensuite Bath/Shower all open onto deck with pool overlooking the river. Dining locations varied each of our 4 nights and cuisine was imaginative,delicious and abundant. The main lodge was stunning.
Because the unfenced reserve is small and open to Kruger, you never know what wildlife will roam through. Each drive (2/day) had at least one highlight (leopards, ellies, a rare cheetah kill, lions, gorgeous birds,etc) but there was less variety in species and the queue system with neighboring reserves felt a little "public" compared to our other venues. Our guide was knowledgeable enough but relied more on 2-way radio than tracking to locate sightings. There was less off-roading-- heavy rains the month before may have been a factor. The only disappointment was the use of a too-worn, uncomfortable "back up" vehicle during our stay...not up to the 5 star level of everything else!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the fork of the Sand and Mabrak Rivers, andBeyond Leadwood Lodge offers a cosy and serene getaway completely at peace with the bush that surrounds it. With suites carefully distanced from each other, andBeyond Leadwood is ideal for families or parties of friends who want to share their safari experience without intruding on each other's privacy. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- And Beyond Leadwood Lodge
- &Beyond Leadwood Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Dulini Leadwood Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve