“The best of the Bushveld?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Djuma Game Reserve
Vuyatela Lodge & Galago Camp
Reviewed 23 June 2012

It is a week since we returned from Vuyatela Lodge at Djuma, but I am still reading up and contextualising the experience. Nothing prepared me for how good it was going to be! The bushveld scenery is magnificent, with beautiful trees, the lodge is luxurious without being pretentious and the staff were friendly, helpful and very, very capable: special mention of Luzile, the chef, Ephraim the ranger/driver and Amos the tracker! I now have the Djuma webcam running in the background on my computer, and have read up about Karuma the leopard and the intimate relationships people around the world have built up with the Djuma animals, most without ever having set foot in Africa. The love of the bush and the commitment to the guests of all involved at the Lodge leaves a lasting impression. I have had many experiences in the bush and this must rate as one of the greatest. I have posted pics and stories on my blog - see

Room Tip: Make up a party of 8 or 10 - you will not regret it!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I never thought I would be able to recharge my batteries by spending a weekend away in the bush. But that is exactly what happened at Vuyatela. The lodge itself is beautiful, decorated with local South Africa art. The staff friendly and attentive without being intrusive. It was wonderful to come back from a superb game drive, to a delicious meal prepared by the amazing Luzile. Ephraim and Amos managed to find the Big 5 within 24 hours, but more importantly was the interesting facts about the tree's, insects, birds and smaller animals. It is a place I could see myself visiting again.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

A group of friends joined me for a spectacular break away at Vuyatela Lodge in the Sabi Sands. We were thoroughly spoilt by Luzile who made magic with our supplies and produced mouth-watering meals. The lodge itself is luxurious but also quirky and fun with really funky artwork and details. Of course, Pippa's mosaics are stunning and make a really personalised impact on guests. We had really fabulous sightings of leopard as well as 9 lions heading off on a hunt together, elephant as well as 7 (plus 3) rhino completely relaxed and having a bush brunch as well as a herd of hundreds of buffalo. Seeing the Big 5 was great but we thoroughly enjoyed just being in the bush with mongoose, waterbuck, zebra, nyala, impala, wildebeest and kudu. There were fabulous sunrises and sunset scenes, great trees and some great sightings of Gymnogene, African Fish Eagle, Bateleur as well as Long-tailed Shrikes and the other bushveld birds. Jurie and Pippa have created a fabulous lodge which is affordable for South Africans. What a treat to feel like you have your own game lodge in this stunning bushveld environment.

Room Tip: Room Number 1 has the best views of the waterhole!
1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was honoured to take my whole family to Vuyatela Private game Lodge, - as a Self catering lodge, a person has a preconceived idea,but W O W!!!! you have no idea,...as you get there, you are greeted by friendly staff, who unpack your car, - drop off your groceries, in the kitchen, and "voila" - your private chef does the rest!!! -Luzile is Master Chef of the Sabi Sands, I'm sure!!!, as her food is absolutely DELICIOUS!. -
Your bedroom is set to the backdrop of a watering hole, where the animals, walk down periodically to drink, even the outdoor shower enables you to feel the "Soul of Nature", and not to miss out, on the animal action!!!
- the main deck, closer to the dining area is also a superb way to enjoy a gin and tonic, while watching the game, sporadically amble down to the water hole.
We were exceptionally privileged to see the BIG 5, but not the exception,... when I read all the other reviews, about Vuyatela, - it seems everyone else also saw the BIG 5, Thanks to Eprahim , and Amos,(our driver and tracker) who enabled us to see Leopard stalking Impala, a Lion with a kill, a herd of Buffalo, a herd of 25 Elephants, and Rhino.
This exclusive lodge, is more appreciated, because of it unpretentiousness, and the essence of Africa is truly felt, by the words that mean "Come and visit again" ... VUYATELA!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are closer to the water hole
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Joined another family for a weekend in April 2012. Game viewing was unbelievable - saw no Zebra though - priceless sigtings of big 5 in first 24 hours.
Facilities was top class. Even though it was selfcatering we were treated by an amazing chef Luzile and all meals were 5 star. Will go back anytime and can recommend to anybody who loves the bush in luxury!
Johann

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Our extended family had 3 wonderful days at Vuyatela. I have been 3 times before when it was a fully catered lodge and I have to say I enjoyed the self catered concept more. It was as if our family owned a private game lodge in the Sabi Sands and we felt so much more at home to use the Main Lodge deck and new swimming pool.

The accomodation is still spacious and beautiful and the best part is that the game viewing is as good as it gets at a price that you cannot beat. The chef means that you don't have to work on your holiday as she prepared great braais for us after our game drives.

We saw Leopard on 5 out of 6 game drives as well as a rare encounter with wild dogs with their kill which was memorable not to mention Elephants,Rhino, Buffalo, Giraffe, Hyena. Eprahim and Amos were excellent and we have no idea how they are able to track and spot the animals.

This concept will appeal to locals who care about the essence of the bush experience which is the wildlife and who are not prapared to overpay for fancy food and a hovering butler!

Room Tip: Chalet 1 is the best overlooking the water hole
Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Took two families to Vuyatela and the experience was perfect. The new self catering arrangement worked well for us and a superb chef Luzile looked after us and cooked our food to 5star standards. Could not have had a better game experience. We saw the Big five in the first two hours and plenty more leopard sightings during the week. You can go for a drive when you want to and Texan was just right. The venue itself is ideal, a nice mixture if five star luxury but the African theme prevents you feeling you are in a hotel. We will definitely be back, ideal formula for bush relaxation. Peter.

Stayed: April 2012

Been to Vuyatela Lodge & Galago Camp? Share your experiences!