“Djuma Vuyatela”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Djuma Game Reserve
Vuyatela Lodge & Galago Camp
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Djuma Vuyatela”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I visited Djuma Vuyatela for 3 nights last month (July 2013) as part of a family holiday in South Africa, and we all had an amazing time!

The lodge itself is fantastic with a library, gym, museum, pool (bit cold to use though!), lounge area, dining area, bar area and a fire pit to sit around of an evening. There are 5 chalets and as there were 8 of us all together, we stayed in 4 of the 5 (with one chalet unoccupied). The rooms were all wonderful, luxurious, very spacious, clean and tidy and well kept. The lodge grounds were equally as fantastic with loads of wildlife to keep you busy if you're not one for relaxing, including loads of bird species, squirrels and antelope. The view over the waterhole was just exceptional though and really made my time at the lodge. One afternoon it was visited by a herd of at least 10 elephants (a number of them young calves) who drank and wallowed and eventually wandered off right past the chalets which was an experience that I'll never forget.

The lodge staff were excellent, tidying the rooms every day, maintaining the lodge and preparing amazing food. As it is a self catering lodge we weren't really sure what to expect. We went with the option of having a chef (an option we would highly recommend!) who we provided with food but didn't know whether we'd got the right sort of food or enough food but we needn't have worried. The chef and assistants knew exactly what they were doing and prepared some incredible food with what we had bought! A couple of nights we had a braai with salad and jacket potatoes and one night we had a vegetable curry.

Our guide Taxon and guide Amos were also fantastic. Taxon has been guiding for 18 years and has a wealth of knowledge regarding the wildlife and the local area. We had two drives a day (one early morning, the second in the afternoon into the early evening) and had some incredible sightings including two lion cubs up a tree.

Vuyatela was a fantastic place to both see wildlife and have some time to relax. Thank you Candice and the team for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dan201103

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

We were a party of six and visited Djuma Galago for 4nights. Note that six turned out to be a lucky number as there are just three magnificent chalets and as the camp takes 10 the other members would have had to sleep in the lodge, also good but less than in the chalets. The luxury chalets are very private and consist of a bedroom dressing area bathroom and outside shower. Special mention should be made of the patio decks where you can relax and enjoy the sounds of nature. The once present jacuzzi's have been filled in but this did not detract and the lodge has a swimming pool. The lodge is a self catering one there is a dedicated team to assist with table setting, dish washing ,fire making and preparing the coffee for the morning game drive. The area teems with game and we were fortunate to see leopard, hyena, elephants ,lions and rhino on multiple occasions. Two male lions with four females and some cubs on a fresh waterbuck killing was a highlight. The capable team of ranger Aubrey and tracker William ensured that we saw it all large or small from the Landrover or on a bush walk and we are very gratefull to them for this.
Treat yourself and visit Djuma a paradise on earth.

Room Tip: If there are three couples then there is a chalet for all. If more than six make sure you are one to...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

Flying into Kruger National Park on a charter plane and landing on a short runway strip in the grasses with warthogs and zebras visible along the sides, was nothing short of magical. And then we were driven to Vuyatela Lodge and the real magic began. From the morning game drives to the evening sundowner drives to the 5 star dinners that were awaiting us at the end of each day. Every day was a new adventure and we were fortunate enough to be there during the annual elephant migration through the park. To see elephants in a natural setting shaking the trunk of a marula tree to get the fruit to drop was amazing. And the night sky is mesmerizing. Texan was our Ranger and he was so kind and helpful with years of experience and knowledge.
Our room was amazing with it's outdoor shower (with Kudu roaming just outside the walls) and the private deck with it's own plunge pool. Our meals were delicious and the service staff went above and beyond to see that our dining experience was top notch. One person in our party had special dietary needs, and it was no problem for the chef to see to it that each meal would include something special just for her. I would love it if everyone I know could experience Vuyatela Lodge sometime in their life.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the lodge are on the water.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Hoedspruit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

I just returned from a three night stay at Djuma Galago and what a treat! It was my first trip to the Sabi Sands and I could not have been more impressed. Galago camp is quaint and lovely with a gorgeous main room and outdoor dining table and a great viewing deck (even had the elephants drinking during breakfast!). Our guide, Texan, and tracker, Amos, were lovely and really went out of their way to find us game. They even spent an entire afternoon (while we lounged by the pool) tracking a female leopard we had seen tracks for in the morning....and we got a stunning visual!

Galago is Self Catering and we hired one of the chefs and it was amazing. So nice to bring your own food and do your own menu and then by the time you get back from drives the food is all ready and table set....the ladies in the lodge were amazing!!!

So, overall, the lodge was amazing and the all the staff were wonderful. Sabi Sands, as far as sightings go is hard to beat. We saw lions on nearly every drive, female leopard and cubs, rhino, buffalo, elephants and all sorts of other magnificent general game. I now live in the bush and work on a reserve and it blew me away how nice the lodge was and how friendly they all are!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bentupperHoedspruit
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

On my very first Safari, with a small group (ImagesinAfrica.com) there was a sign on the entry way to my private, luxurious Quarters (Chalet) that said "I'm Dreaming of Africa." Well that is exactly what I am doing today, three months after my trip. We stayed at Galago and chose to bring our own food. This turned out to be another great choice, as Elizabeth and her crew of cooks prepared Breakfast and Dinner for the 6 of us each day. You have to have her and her staff cook for you! Delicious. Being a novice, I was quite easily impressed with the game drives, but only after going to two other locations did I realize just how fortunate I was to see the BIG 5 on my first day! That never happened again the entire month I was in Africa. Gavin Slabbert (American Citizen, Native South African), our Tour Operator (phenominal photographer/teacher told me that the "System" for the game drives were excellent with a Guide AND a TRACKER and he proved correct. So, I can only imagine (DREAM) of how good Djuma would be in season. I'll go back as soon as I can. The Owner (Jurie) also added a great touch by joining us to see how things were going. What a great, great place to go. Dreaming of Africa. All the best, always, TR Jones

Room Tip: Stay in the private chalet along the creek. Enjoy the outside shower and the private sitting/readin...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

This has been my 5th or 6th visit to Djuma and it truly is one of my favorite places in the world. We have stayed at Galago many times, and this time at Vuyatela. The rooms are spectacular with outside showers and private decks overlooking the bush. What makes this place truly special is the staff! Wether you get Aubrey and William at Galago, or Texan and Amos at Vuyatela (Ranger and Tracker) their knowledge of the bush is without doubt unbeatable and they are pleasant and helpful in every way. Nothing is too much for these guys!! Every question is answered, but they also have the common sense not to talk endlessly and unnecessarily (which we have experienced many a time at fully catered lodges!)

Djuma is a SELF CATERED lodge, which we LOVE!! Too many times we have experienced 5 star bush lodges trying to get cute and fancy with their food, which just doesn't work. Nothing beats a good South African Braai in the bush and what better way than to bring what ever your heart desires and then the cooks at the lodge prepare it all for you. The ladies in the kitchen are more than capable of preparing anything and everything. All we did was tell them what we wanted and it was brought to us beautifully presented and absolutely perfect.

The game and the bush in this area are magnificent!! No matter which time of the year you chose, it will never let you down. We had loads of rain on our latest trip, but we still saw so much game and the bird life is abundant!! The trees and dam's are beautiful and the sunset stop at Khaya Manzi is simply magical!! I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are identical
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlexMichael
Haenertsburg, Limpopo, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

It is a week since we returned from Vuyatela Lodge at Djuma, but I am still reading up and contextualising the experience. Nothing prepared me for how good it was going to be! The bushveld scenery is magnificent, with beautiful trees, the lodge is luxurious without being pretentious and the staff were friendly, helpful and very, very capable: special mention of Luzile, the chef, Ephraim the ranger/driver and Amos the tracker! I now have the Djuma webcam running in the background on my computer, and have read up about Karuma the leopard and the intimate relationships people around the world have built up with the Djuma animals, most without ever having set foot in Africa. The love of the bush and the commitment to the guests of all involved at the Lodge leaves a lasting impression. I have had many experiences in the bush and this must rate as one of the greatest. I have posted pics and stories on my blog - see

Room Tip: Make up a party of 8 or 10 - you will not regret it!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Nkorho Bush Lodge
Nkorho Bush Lodge
#13 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Thornybush Game Lodge
Thornybush Game Lodge
#1 of 12 in Thornybush Private Game Reserve
Kambaku Safari Lodge
Kambaku Safari Lodge
#3 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Vuyatela Lodge & Galago Camp? Share your experiences!