“Wow!!!!”

Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“Wow!!!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Arriving from Nelspruit on 1st August we were greeted with one of the biggest smiles I have seen - meet Steve with a glass of hot amarula,(he was to look after our eating and refreshment needs throughout our stay) it was quite chilly at the time so the hot Amarula was welcome, we were just too late for the evening game drive thanks to our tour company getting all the pickup times wrong but were immediately asked if we would like to catch it for the late afternoon drive, we declined because we had been travelling a long time and just wanted to relax for the evening. The bags were in our room before you could blink and we were shown up and advised that we would get a call at 05:30 next morning for the game drive. the room, I have to say was spectacular (room 8) but we checked out some of the other rooms while we were there and they are all of a superb quality (ask for an elevated room if you wish to overlook the nearby watering hole). Next morning, in the bar we were greeted by our Ranger Jehanne, he could not get our tea and coffee quick enough and we were to learn throughout our stay that his knowledge of all things wild and bushlike is extraordinary!!! Our tracker Ronnie has eyes like the radar on Air Force one, didn't miss a thing in 7 days. The game drives - well if you haven't done one before, you just have to be there, all the rangers from different lodges work together on the radio so you miss nothing and those jeeps get into some funny places believe me. WE WILL RETURN TO LEOPARD HILLS without a doubt, it is now like our bush home from home.

Room Tip: Room 8 is awesome but unless you dislike heights, any elevated room is good enough.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Billbagginz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It's difficult to put into words just how special Leopard Hills is...but I shall try! My husband and I stayed for 3 nights from 21 - 24 June 2013 and what a wonderful 3 nights we had! We were warmly greeted by Bridget on arrival and shown by Mandla to our gorgeous room - every detail from the bedtime story left on the bed to our bath being drawn on the last night was thought of and the view from the private deck and outdoor shower was exquisite.

Dinner was a pleasure! Executive Chef Stuart introduced himself (a nice touch) and the collective gathering at dinner is a wonderful way to make new friends and hear stories of what the next day might bring. Steve and Andrew looked after us wonderfully and their relaxed and cheerful approach never wains!

Of course, our bush experiences were the highlight! Our guide Raymond and tracker Eric were like magicians! They managed to conjure up the most marvellous experiences and sightings! We saw leopards duelling at dawn, lions mating at dusk and everything else you can imagine in between! We went on a wonderful game walk with Jehanne who educated and informed us with such enthusiasm!

Duncan was a wonderful host and joined us each day for a catch up at breakfast and lunch on the terrace.

There are many highlights to our trip but worthy of a special mention are: Steve's big smile, Eric's special hot chocolate, our hot water bottles for the early morning game drive, the views from the terrace, a close encounter with the Big 5 (and then some), our gorgeous room, the food (it is wonderful and never-ending) and lastly, the gracious hospitality afforded to us by every member of staff!

Only down side? We had to leave :-( But, with luck, we shall return and I have no doubt that the fond memories that we have of Leopard Hills will be repeated.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanMMitchell
Camps Bay, South Africa
Reviewed 7 July 2013

With memories of my first visit in 2008 still vivid, the same warm and cheery greeting awaited us last week too. Stephen with his booming smile, Bridgette and Duncan as welcoming as before, particularly to my Son (9), this to be his first ever Bush experience. And what a treat of wildlife the next 4x days had in store for us. Our Big 5 seen repeatedly, including Mating Lions and Leopard with hunting Cub, and surprise highlight of Cheetah mother with young heckled by pair spotted hyena. 100's photos later (understatement),, I could really go on, where Leopard Hills abundance of sightings was equally matched by hospitible and unobtrusive 5 star service. Mandla's 6am game drive wake up call, Raymond's keen game knowledge and Eric's eagle eye (coffees and entertaining stories), to Chef Stuart and staff's gastronomy and attendance. Collectively together all enjoyed from most generously and tastefully appointed luxury chalets, complete with own private viewing deck, plunge pool and sun loungers, affording relaxed and expansive views across the watering hole and Sabi Sands beyond. By the time we had to leave it felt like a 'home away from home'. Collectively another unforgettable experience, thank you again, we plan to visit again next year.

• Stayed June 2013
england
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband & I are considering a return trip to LH - and I am horrified at the dreadful comments from such rude guests & even though our stay was in 2009 we still feel a great affinity to all the staff there whose service is second to none. Leopard Hills is be of hose special places on earth - and must be kept so - maybe the guests should be vetted before being allowed to experience this haven ! Joke !!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank totoscard
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

If you get the chance to stay at this wonderful lodge, jump at it. It is an absolutely wonderful experience. The staff and the are location are brilliant. First class service and first class accommodation. The food is lovely and plentiful and the game drives and bush walks are amazing. Save up and go - you'll love it!

• Stayed June 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at Leopard Hills for 4 nights on our honeymoon, and it was, by far, the highlight of our trip. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful (particularly those in the dining room), and we couldn't have been more pleased with the game drives led by our ranger, Hugo and tracker, Eric. Both went above & beyond to ensure all guests were pleased with their experience and comfortable for the drives. The villas were beautiful - very clean, with gorgeous views of the reserve. We thank the entire staff for a wonderful stay - we hope to return again in the not too distant future!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I must admit that I had high expectations for this game reserve given the pictures and great reviews. From the moment I arrived and found elephants eating right in front of my room, I was not disappointed. In fact, the first day was so incredible, it was hard to top it.

Elephants and Nyla were in front of my room/balcony most of my first afternoon and for my first evening safari I saw leopards mating, giraffes, rhinos, lions, elephants and much more.

The next morning, just when I thought it could not get any better, we saw a cheetah (which are very hard to find!). That evening, when we returned from our game drive, the staff had a hot bubble bath waiting for me in my room (they had overheard me mention how much I love taking baths). That was one of the highlights of the trip.

I would definitely recommend this game reserve if you want a quiet place to get away. This resort is very small/boutique, but was perfect for what I needed.

Room Tip: Room 8 was amazing!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JenHillJHCCS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge
Lion Sands River Lodge
Lion Sands River Lodge
#11 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
#16 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve? Share your experiences!