“Rude employees---hang up on you and don't know their own policies”
Review of Motel 6 Ruidoso

Motel 6 Ruidoso
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Ruidoso
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My family and I enjoyed a lovely winter vacation in Ruidoso by staying in one of the town's many cabins. In fact, we enjoyed it so much, we wanted to stay an additional night in one of our favorite mountain towns. Unfortunately, our cabin was already rented, so we booked a room (in person) at the Motel 6, several days prior to the date we would actually be needing it. When I went inside the lobby to make the reservation, there were about 5 people ahead of me, 3 of which did not have a reservation for that evening and they had room availability and were given rooms. At the time of booking, the young lady at the counter gave me a printout of the confirmation of my room reservation. At the bottom of the printed confirmation, printed from Motel 6's own printer, listed the cancellation policy. It states that if you have a change in circumstances, to please call by 6:00 p.m. on the day of the reservation in order to avoid charges.

Unfortunately, my husband and infant ended up getting really sick for the remainder of our stay and we had to cut our trip short. So, I called the number listed on the printout that the employee gave me and told them I was going to have to cancel. This was at 1:00 p.m. And the paper stated to call before 6:00 p.m.

When the phone was picked up an older gentleman picked up and when I explained the situation, he stated he was going to have to charge me for the night. When I questioned him about the policy that was printed on the confirmation sheet and given to me by their own staff, he denied such a paper existed and stated that there was a 24-hour cancellation policy. I asked if I could come by there on our way out of town and show him the print out in order to avoid charges due to my circumstances and the verbiage on their own forms. I am an honest, law abiding person and if it were past 6:00 p.m., or if it stated there was a 24 hour cancellation policy, I would gladly have accepted the charges and paid in full.

When I asked him if I could show it to him, the man hung up on me. On our way out of town, we stopped by the Motel 6. When I entered the lobby, there was an older man and woman working the counter. The man was assisting another customer, so the lady asked if she could help me. When I started explaining the situation to her and showed her the confirmation print out I had, the old geezer told me that it was him that I had spoken to, grabbed the paper, and tried once again to tell me I was wrong. When he couldn't find the "notice for 24 hour cancellation" and read what I had been telling them all along, they finally agreed to not charge me for the night. However, at this point, they told me that since it was the holiday week, they were doing me a favor since they had been booked the whole week. I told them I had been in several days before and watched them give away rooms, so that argument didn't hold true. They told me though that for future reference, that there was a 24 hour cancellation, to which I suggested they should change the wording on the confirmation sheets they give out to potential guests. The lady got in on it at this point and tried to tell me as well that the confirmation and policy were something not listed on the paper I had received when previously booking.

As I said, I don't mind paying for something if I do not meet the terms of an agreement. To be hung up on, to have to come in and prove the document that I had, and then be told again that I was wrong when I had the sheet sitting in front of them was an awful experience.

I love Ruidoso, but I can think of a multitude of other places that you should give your business to and you will have a much more pleasant experience. These people are rude and have no idea what the verbiage on their own policies say.

The rude behavior he exhibited to me on the phone, and the rude behavior he exhibited to me

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Mountainfan_12

Reviewed 10 November 2011

visited ruidoso for business related work. resonable price in resort area. Nicely maintained, clean motel. Staff very friendly & helpfull.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mehtavis
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We pulled into Ruidoso around 7 am, and noticed that check in was not until 2 pm. We had no reservations and we were in town for the cowboy symposium. That's a big weekend in this town, but the staff there were so helpful and let us check in early. We unloaded and went back down to the lobby where they continued to give us a great map of the town and offer up some great reviews on resteraunts in the area. After an eventful day we went up to our room and of course my 2 year old has an accident. i called downstairs to see if i could pick up some fresh sheets, and before i had a chance to get down there the night man brought up fresh sheets, blankets, towels and even some soap bars. I thought they would have simply laughed at me and told me to figure it out on my own, but they went above and beyond! for that, i will return to motel 6 Ruidoso every trip from now on!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Bgseankkmomma
Reviewed 17 October 2008

Just returned home from Ruidoso. We found the lobby, hallways and the rooms to be very neat and clean. Our grandson enjoyed the indoor pool. There are no coffee pots in the rooms, but the new manager had a fresh pot made when we went down about 5:30 am to take the pets out. Another great thing is they don't charge extra for your pets if they weigh under 30 pounds. So, the price was right, the rooms very clean and the new managers were very friendly and willing to please.
We will definately go back.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Motel 6 is definitely a budget motel. I noted: no coffee pot, no kleenex, no breakfast, no alarm clock, no shampoo, no lotion. But most important -- no problems!

Yes, I'd go there again. It was one of the cheapest places I stayed on my cross-country trip, but it provided what I wanted -- a clean bed. I noted too that it had a grab bar in the tub, which gives me a feeling of safety now that I'm older.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 20 July 2008

Very basic room. Everything was fine til the water was turned off hotel-wide in the morning. Unable to shower. No discount received for the inconvenience

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank terrier_8
Reviewed 8 February 2008

Let's see where do I start?
Bugs in the bed. Blood spots on the sheets. Used soap in the bathroom and soap scum on the sink and tub. Hair in tub, on counter and in sink. Trash in garbage can. Funny smell in the room.

I acctually SAW bed bugs!! (discovered where the small blood spots come from when I squished them!)

To top off this horrible room was the horrible service. The employees seemed completely lost and the manager could not have been more rude or argumentative when we informed them that our room was so completely disgusting and unacceptable.

I don't know how this establishment has stayed in business. I am sure that if Motel 6 corporate knew what this place is like they would terminate their franchise. Something should be done about this place!!!

WARNING Do NOT go to this place! You might come away with more than a few bed bugs bites who knows.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family