“No complaints” 4 of 5 bubbles

Swiss Chalet Hotel
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Ruidoso
“No complaints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed here with a group of friends after another friends wedding. The room was huge and was plenty big for five people. We had trouble with our ac but the maintinence guy was quick to help us, and was hilarious while trying to fix it. Place was clean, and just what I expected for the price.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Salida, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed in Ruidoso for 4 nights Dec. 26- Dec 30th. We needed a pet-friendly hotel. After checking the rates at all the pet-friendly places, and realizing that even with our government, AARP, and AAA discounts, all the rooms were over $110, plus pet fees (rates go up over the holidays), and since all the reviews we read for every pet-friendly hotel were terrible, I decided to take a chance on the Swiss Chalet. It was by far the cheapest and the pics looked the best. I was very pleasantly surprised when we arrived. I don't know why the other people had bad experiences. Maybe it was their attitude or expectations. I found the front desk staff to be very friendly. We stayed in one of the family rooms they offered and it was great. The carpet was typical motel room carpeting, in good shape, although it had a few stains on it, but I've stayed at many Quality Inn and Comfort Inns that had poor quality carpeting as well. The room was vacuumed every day for us, no litter or dust bunnies anywhere. The bathroom needed updating, but it was clean. It was, I think, one of the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in. Hats off to the housekeeping crew. The mattresses were old, but very comfortable. Slept great every night. The grounds and parking lot were also clean and free of papers and other debris. (I wish people would pick up after their dogs though.They ruin it for the rest of us pet owners). My only complaint was the ceiling wasn't insulated very good and we could hear the people upstairs walking around, but once again, I've experienced that in other motels as well. By 10:30 every night, all was always quiet. Our room did not have a fridge or micro either, but not every chain motel I've ever stayed in has them. I don't know why people expect that. That's what coolers are for. We have family that just moved to Ruidsos so we will be going there at least 3 times a year and I will definately be staying at the Swiss Chalet. Oh, and the front desk staff told me they are remodeing the rooms, but it will take awhile to get to them all completed.

Room Tip: If you need extra room for ski equipment or kids to play around, stay in one of the family rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brenda L
el paso
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

My family and I spend the New Year's weekend at the Swiss Chalet and looking at the website; the hotel looked fairly decent especially since we have our dog. finding hotels in Ruidoso that are pet friendly is difficult so the Swiss Chalet and their $25 fee was reasonable, rooms are $90 a night by the way. They do not offer government rates so that was a red flag for me. when we arrived at the hotel, we first saw that the condition of the outer structure was in need of repair. The lobby are was just disgusting, the carpets were trashed and smelled of mildew. Our room, there was not one aspect that I though was appealing, the carpets were disgusting the pillows were stained, the toilet tub and sink were a mess. The balcony door was broken and was being held shut by the security chain which is a safety hazard. There are no phones in the rooms either. the only time I have stayed in a worse living condition was when I was deployed to Iraq. The ice machines dont work anywhere in the hotel and you have to go to the lobby to retrieve a bag of ice, there are no microwaves in the room either. The hotel staff was rude and in the middle of me asking them a question, the young woman working the front desk told me she had to take a call from her cell phone, it was her boyfriend and she proceeded to have a random converstation instead of taking care of a paying guest. We didnt even bother to try the Bar and Grill as we didnt want to take a chance of eating their possible substandard food if the rest of the establishment was any refelction. All in all, I would never stay here again regardless of vacancy in all of Ruidoso. I can look past the outdated 1970s look of the hotel, but I cannot look past the sheer disregard and lack of pride that the hotel owners take in their establishment. Steer clear from the Swiss Chalet in Ruidoso, dont take the chance.

Room Tip: I would try the Best Western near the Billy the Kid Casino for families with pets.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Raylee C

Travellers are raving about these Ruidoso hotels

Lubbock, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and I and two of our closest freinds along with my daughter and her firend stay at the hotel this past weekend. I dont know what happened to the other people in theese reviews but i have no complaints. The hotel does need uptating but so does every hotel in Ruidoso that wasnt built in the lase 5 to 8 years. THey are working on it but i do understand it takes time. the rooms were clean the food was EXELLENT! THe view was great and the staff was as friendly as i have ever seen in Ruidoso. i will stay there anytime i go back to Ruidoso.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Palm Springs, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

Property is in BAD need of maintenance and major upgrade. Staff & manager are professional and friendly. Views are spectacular especially from the patio. Dog friendly was appreciated. Probably would not stay here, again, unless it was a new structure. Did not eat or drink here but kitchen doesn't open until after 4pm - a bummer.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Len C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

Absolutely filthy and Horrifying! If first impressions are on top of your list, this isn't the place to say! The room was dirty and the carpet were stained as well as the bathroom falling apart. In all my year of travel I was never so disgusted at a hotel room like this. Water damage apparent throughout. I was literally scared to sleep in the bed. Give yourself a favor, choose another place.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sam I
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Worst food I have had in Ruidoso, NM and that is saying a lot! Ordered a burger and wanted it to be medium and came out a burnt hockey puck. French fires were over done and burnt to a crisp along with the tea tasting like toliet water. The overall atmosphere was terrible, old and very hot with the sun beating on my back. Over priced crap could of went to McDonalds and had a better burger...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo