“Don't look further!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Varty Camp
Safwa, Saudi Arabia
“Don't look further!”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

In the past two years, I visited Sabi Sands Private Game reserve four times, I've been into five different lodges, most were excellent and up to my expectations, however, now whenever I think of going back there, Varty camp will surely be on the top of my preferred camps. I understand the competition there is fierce, many other lodges race into providing the luxurious feel Sabi Sands is known for, I just loved Varty Camp more than anywhere else. I loved the quality of service in every single thing I've encountered during my stay in July 2012. The staff with no exclusion were always helpful and always ready to make you feel home.

When I arrived there, I was really stunned with the type of room I had. Luxury by all means! I didn't even know I was supposed to have a private little swimming pool in there, I surely liked that.
Our ranger Talley Smith was just amazing. She is professional in what she is doing, she knows what she is doing and compared to many other rangers I've been with, she is one of the best. We as expected saw the big five, we were almost there to see the magnificence seven (wild dogs + cheetah) but just missed the cheetah by few days but the sighting of the wild dogs was more than I describe it! Unbelievable!
My only one note to the lodge and it's management which I hope they consider is the lunch time, it is done immediately right before the afternoon game drive, other lodges usually do it one or two hours before that. I found it a bit uncomfortable to just be in the safari car (with full stomach, yes I eat a lot) and then going through some bumpy roads and all that. I would just suggest giving guests the option if they want to have an earlier lunch to avoid such issue.

In short, as I titled my review, don't look further! Londolozi is just an amazing place!

Room Tip: Being a photographer with heavy equipments all the time, I always prefer a room that is not far a wa...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mohammed A
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Malnaser,

Many thanks for your detailed review of your stay at Varty Camp and for your lunch time suggestion as well. We will be sure to consider your thoughts for our other guests.

We are delighted that you had such a great time with Talley Smith and that she showed you such an amazing variety of game during your time here. We hope that you got some amazing photographs!

We so look forward to having you back here when next you visit the Sabi Sands and hope to see you on our blog until then.

Much Love,
The Londolozi Family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
The Woodlands, TX
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We visited Varty camp for 3 days in June with our 6 & 8 year old kids, and we had a remarkable visit. We were charmed from the beginning with a warm welcome & introduction to all the members of the team at Varty camp, and were amazed as a group of a dozen or so elephants meandered across the watering hole in front of the lodge! Georgia & Kerri were always present to help us know where to go or what to do in order to make the most of our stay. Kate was our ranger, and she welcomed our kids on every ride, making sure they learned tidbits about skulls & prints along the way. Between rides, our kids were thrilled with the kids camp- Cinzia, the leader of the kids group, made them feel like they were always doing something exciting & made them feel incredibly special while still having the magical ability to make them eat their vegetables! My daughter danced with the village women's group in the boma after dinners & marshmallows were brought out every night for the kids to roast! In short, the kids were warmly welcomed, and didn't want to leave! ( Thank you to our butler, Colbert for dancing with our daughter!)
We loved the proximity of Varty camp to everything, so in the daytime, our kids were able to get around on their own. The rooms were beautiful, and since we needed two adjoining room for us and our kids, we also got two bathrooms, which was quite nice. The beds were so comfortable that the kids & I fell right asleep, but my husband would lie awake listening to the lions calling back and forth to each other. There was MORE than enough room, laundry was free, and if we stayed out longer than expected on a game drive, they were always willing to bring a tray of food to the room for us. Kate even rescheduled a meeting she was supposed to lead so that we could stay out longer watching an elusive leopard.
We were lucky enough to see ALL the big five while we were there! We also enjoyed watching a couple of lions hunting for impala & then a group of elephants kicking them out of their territory! We even saw a cheetah, which is not a very common sight in the area. Kate even scored us a great telescope so we could do some star gazing in the pristine night sky!
In all, I would highly recommend Lodolozi- it is pricey but worth it... the service is impeccable, they are TRULY a family lodge, and our expectations for an African safari were met & exceeded.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JMTX70
, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear jmmathew,

Many thanks for such a detailed and kind review about the stay that you and your family had with us at Londolozi Varty Camp. I will be sure to pass it on to all the people you mentioned, in particular Cinzia and Kate.

We are so pleased that you exposed your children to the African wilderness and from what we have gathered it seems like they had the most amazing time in the Cubs Den and out on game drives.

You are correct in mentioning that we are truly a family lodge as this forms a huge part of our ethos and is something which we wish every guest who visits us to feel and experience.

Many thanks again for visiting and for the review,
sherwood park, Alberta
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We initially were looking to book in Pioneer Camp, but it was not available. We were concerned as Varty camp seemed to be geared towards families and large groups, and we wanted something more private.

As it turned out, we got there in the afternoon and a very large group was scheduled to leave the next morning. Once the group was gone, there were only two couples in the place (we, being one of them). Heaven! Londolozi lets you walk around all the camps. While Pioneer is very cosy, the best views are from the viewing platform at Varty, where a family of about 12 elephants chose to hang out for most of our stay. Varty's hall is also the biggest, so having all that space to yourself is incredibly decadent.

The staff are lovely, and our designated ranger and tracker found a pair of leopards that had eluded all the other vehicles. In fact, in the first three game drives alone we had seen elephants, rhinos, giraffes, lions mating, leopards mating, nyala, duiker (??), wildebeast and impala among a whole bunch of other animals and birds whose names i have since forgotten. The food is wonderful, the service prompt, the views memorable (there is nothing like seeing about 250+ elephants along the river for the first time).

We spent 4 great days at Varty Camp. Is there anything else that could improve this? Yes...

Having the luxury of spending yet one more day at Londolozi....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear howho,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us. We are very pleased to hear that you stay was such a wonderful experience and that you found Varty Camp so great. We really look forward to your return in the near future and seeing you on the Londolozi blog until then.

NJ
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I am guilty for not sharing my travel experiences especially considering I use Trip Advisor and am on business travel approximately 40% of the time. However, I am compelled to write one for Londolozi. I had a short stay at the Varty camp last week. It is certainly an outlier in the spectrum of luxury products which eventually all seem homogenous to me. It's personality, authenticity, spectacular and breathtaking setting are unsurpassed in my opinion and experience to date.. I grew up in East Africa during my childhood and have visited multiple luxury camps in the past and recently. The food, wine, conversation, casualness yet elegance of the entire experience will stay with me forever. The massage was excellent...Only quibble- The internet coverage was marginal--but I suppose it should be that way as I shouldn't be spending so much time working at a safari lodge!..BRAVO to everyone... I will be back!

SP

Room Tip: Loved room #8
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank s p
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear s p,

Thank you for choosing to come and stay with us at Londolozi and for taking the time to write such a positive review. We are absolutely delighted that you found so many aspects of the Londolozi experience to your liking and more particularly that these experiences will stay with you forever. Fantastic stuff!

I understand your quibble about the marginal internet coverage and will certainly bring it into our continued discussions as to how best deliver 21st century service, whilst still retaining the essence of safari and the escapism of the wilderness.

We all look forward to seeing you back at Londolozi in the very near future for more food, wine, conversation and elegance.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I've wanted to go on safari since I was a little girl and I felt special from the moment we arrived. Georgia and Kerry there to greet us when we arrived and took us straight to the main gathering area for a glass of champagne.
We arrived at about 1pm in the afternoon and there was an hour or so before lunch was being served, so we went to our rooms to settle in. Once settled, I went out onto the balcony to have a look at the view from the room and there were 30 elephants walking along the creek bed in front of the whole camp. It was incredible! We'd been there for less than 30mins and we'd already seen one of the big 5 from the comfort of our room. We stood there and watched them for about 30mins and then went back up to the main gathering area and they were still there. So we ate lunch with a herd / pride / group of elephants less than 25m away.
The first evenings game drive we saw hippos, buffalo, impala, zebra, 2 males lions and a lioness, 1 male leopard and a hippo out of the water (apparently a very rare site) and the following morning we'd seen giraffe, buffalo, rhino and 2 more male lions.
Honestly, there are no words to describe how fabulous our stay at Londolozi was... I want to give it more than 5 *'s.
Thanks to Londolozi for making my childhood dream come true.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wakega11
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear wakega11,

How wonderful to hear that your childhood dream was realized and that you enjoyed the holiday of a lifetime with us. Your description of the elephants on arrival is something which I remember from my first visit to Londolozi many years ago and can absolutely relate on how amazing and magical it feels to be able to witness them moving through the river.

I am pleased that you saw so much game during your safari (including that rare hippo out of the water!). We really look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future for another safari.

Much love and thanks,
Toronto,Ontario
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our long-awaited safari experience finally became a reality recently , and , following the advice of South African friends now living near us , we chose Londolozi for the realization of our dream ; we could not have made a better choice !
Outstanding accommodation , service and security , great attention to every detail , but mostly ,of course , a phenomenal experience on the game drives ; we saw the "Big Five" in our first 2 drives (and over and over in our 4 day stay) , but at least equally importantly to us , many other animals , insects and birds of the bush in Sabi-Sands ... a really fascinating education for a pair of Canadians (My wife and I) .
Our thanks to the Varty family creating the philosophy and environment that makes the Londolozi experience so wonderful , to Kerry (Leigh) and Cry who oversaw our stay , but mainly , outstandingly , to Ranger Alfie and Tracker Bennet , a phenomenal team whose experience , encyclopaedic knowledge , instincts , eagerness to share and what seemed to us to be 5/20 vision , taught us so very much about this wonderful environment .
A great , great experience in a wonderful place !

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank avidskiier
Dear avidskier,

Thank for taking the time to write such a positive review and of course for visiting us at Londolozi. It is truly fantastic to hear how much you enjoyed your experience at Londolozi and your time on safari with Alfie and Bennet. I will be sure to pass on your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future for another safari adventure.

Perth
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife and I had the good fortune to begin our 3 week safari holiday at Londolozi.
From the time of our arrival until we were delivered to our aircraft for our onward flight the service was both professional and friendly.
Our ranger Lucien and our tracker James were outstanding. As my wife commented, James had "the eyes of an eagle and the ears of a bat".
We spotted the big 5 within the first 24 hours and at all times the game drives epitomised the free safari atmosphere, rather than the structured format of other lodges, with fantastic sundowners, especially our last night.
The camp management and staff welcomed us almost as if we were family and this continued throughout our stay and we were always addressed by name.
The accommodations were first class with views of the river from our windows and a private plunge pool. All this without that impersonal "hotel" feel.
We travelled to other game lodges in Africa after Londolozi but found none better.
This would be our first stop should we return to Africa.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Finbroker
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Finbroker,

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience at Londolozi and that the Ranger/Tracker team of Lucien & James provided you with such good game viewing. I will be sure to pass this review onto them.

Should you return to Africa, we look forward to seeing you back at Londolozi on your next safari.

Thanks again,

Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#12 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve

Been to Londolozi Varty Camp? Share your experiences!