Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews varty camp game drives private deck sand river animal sightings special experience knowledge moment team ranger bush lodge tracker guide accommodations luxury judas
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We just spent 3 fabulous days at the Varty Camp, the rooms were well appointed and extremely comfortable and had views overlooking the river to observe the odd Elephant or Cape Buffalo wonder buy having there afternoon snack. The plunge pool on the private deck was a must as after heavy rain it does become stiflingly hot and humid this time of year. The main dining area is a sheer delight with open views of the river and occasional entertainment from some of the resident monkeys. We had heard about the quality of the food and levels of service all of which more than lived up to our expectations. They even went the extra distance upon return from our afternoon drive and provided us with a candle lit bath and private dining on our deck with a dedicated butler....well done Londolozi !

In the field... our guide, James was incredible, he went the extra mile to ensure we saw the lot, no cruising around the camp as we have previously experienced……. we saw all the borders of the property and then some !!! ( He knows what I mean !) His Zoology degree really helped when explaining to us the complex bio diversity on the reserve and particularly around the river. Mike the tracker was funny and always on the lookout for those more elusive animals.

All in all another very enjoyable Game viewing experience, I highly recommend Londolozi and the Varty Camp in particular.

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear uh2239,

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and putting together such a kind review. We are so pleased that you got to explore all the corners of the property with James and Mike as well as see so many animals.

The Varty Camp team looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 November 2012

We have just returned from our holiday in South Africa. We spent three days and nights at Varty camp and absolutely LOVED every moment. The lodge is beautifully situated over the river with the main lodge building essentially a huge veranda with a vaulted roof open and one end. There is a huge tree that it is built around. The views are stunning. The individual suites are located along the same ridge overlooking the river below. Each suite has its own private veranda with its own plunge pool. The rooms are tastefully decorated with all the modern ammenities.
It is the game drives that truely makes this camp so special. We were fortunate to have Adam and Solly as our ranger and tracker. They were both terrific. Adam is passionate about his job. And especially so about the lions at Londolozi. He knows them all by name and knows their family background and all kinds of information about them. We had some of the most extraordinary sightings and Adam's excitement was infectious. But lions were not the only animals he knew. He told us all about the lone male cheetah that we got to see on two different occasions; the leopards were also no strangers to him. We spent much of one morning tagging along behind a mother and her very shy cub. Adam told us that the cub had not seen many vehicles and we stayed with them for some time in an attempt to "socialize" the young one. But we saw all kinds of other animals and each drive seemed to have one new adventure for us. Thanks to you two for really making game drives the most extraordinary experience.
This place is fantastic... drives, lodging, food, friendly staff... all terrific!

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear GranBeba,

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and for such a wonderful review. We are so pleased that your safari experience with Adam and Solly was so meaningful and that you got to see such wonderful wildlife. I will be sure to pass on your review to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.
Much love,

Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

We were at Varty camp for the past weekend. It was our 9th wedding anniversary. From the time we got out the car we felt so welcome everyone we came across were always smiling and genuinely friendly. The decor of the lodge and rooms were classy and modern. So tastfully done. We loved the beautiful outdoor pool on our veranda, which we could relax on between the great meals and good animal viewing. THe ranger Sean and tracker Richard were a great team and worked well together. We have been on quite a few safaris and the game viewing at londolozi is top class. All the animals at the moment have babies, so making the bush experience even better. The food was excellent good quality, well presented and most important delicious. The cashew nut biscuts on morning drive with amarula coffee were sinful, even thinking about it now makes my mouth water. One of the best things at Londolozi is the personal touches, you feel part of the family it is most definately a home away from home. I felt sad to leave as it was like saying goodbye to old friends. Go to Londolozi you will have a trip of a life time. And memories you will never forget.

Date of stay: October 2012

Dear dinosaur_7

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and for writing us such a nice review. We are so pleased that you felt like part of the family with us during your stay and that you had such incredible game viewing with Sean and Richard. I will be sure to pass on your review to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

In the past two years, I visited Sabi Sands Private Game reserve four times, I've been into five different lodges, most were excellent and up to my expectations, however, now whenever I think of going back there, Varty camp will surely be on the top of my preferred camps. I understand the competition there is fierce, many other lodges race into providing the luxurious feel Sabi Sands is known for, I just loved Varty Camp more than anywhere else. I loved the quality of service in every single thing I've encountered during my stay in July 2012. The staff with no exclusion were always helpful and always ready to make you feel home.

When I arrived there, I was really stunned with the type of room I had. Luxury by all means! I didn't even know I was supposed to have a private little swimming pool in there, I surely liked that.
Our ranger Talley Smith was just amazing. She is professional in what she is doing, she knows what she is doing and compared to many other rangers I've been with, she is one of the best. We as expected saw the big five, we were almost there to see the magnificence seven (wild dogs + cheetah) but just missed the cheetah by few days but the sighting of the wild dogs was more than I describe it! Unbelievable!
My only one note to the lodge and it's management which I hope they consider is the lunch time, it is done immediately right before the afternoon game drive, other lodges usually do it one or two hours before that. I found it a bit uncomfortable to just be in the safari car (with full stomach, yes I eat a lot) and then going through some bumpy roads and all that. I would just suggest giving guests the option if they want to have an earlier lunch to avoid such issue.

In short, as I titled my review, don't look further! Londolozi is just an amazing place!

Room tip: Being a photographer with heavy equipments all the time, I always prefer a room that is not far a way from the camp's main area. Although that is still a bit far away from where you ride the safari vehicle but it would still be easier for me.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Malnaser
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear Malnaser,

Many thanks for your detailed review of your stay at Varty Camp and for your lunch time suggestion as well. We will be sure to consider your thoughts for our other guests.

We are delighted that you had such a great time with Talley Smith and that she showed you such an amazing variety of game during your time here. We hope that you got some amazing photographs!

We so look forward to having you back here when next you visit the Sabi Sands and hope to see you on our blog until then.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

We visited Varty camp for 3 days in June with our 6 & 8 year old kids, and we had a remarkable visit. We were charmed from the beginning with a warm welcome & introduction to all the members of the team at Varty camp, and were amazed as a group of a dozen or so elephants meandered across the watering hole in front of the lodge! Georgia & Kerri were always present to help us know where to go or what to do in order to make the most of our stay. Kate was our ranger, and she welcomed our kids on every ride, making sure they learned tidbits about skulls & prints along the way. Between rides, our kids were thrilled with the kids camp- Cinzia, the leader of the kids group, made them feel like they were always doing something exciting & made them feel incredibly special while still having the magical ability to make them eat their vegetables! My daughter danced with the village women's group in the boma after dinners & marshmallows were brought out every night for the kids to roast! In short, the kids were warmly welcomed, and didn't want to leave! ( Thank you to our butler, Colbert for dancing with our daughter!)
We loved the proximity of Varty camp to everything, so in the daytime, our kids were able to get around on their own. The rooms were beautiful, and since we needed two adjoining room for us and our kids, we also got two bathrooms, which was quite nice. The beds were so comfortable that the kids & I fell right asleep, but my husband would lie awake listening to the lions calling back and forth to each other. There was MORE than enough room, laundry was free, and if we stayed out longer than expected on a game drive, they were always willing to bring a tray of food to the room for us. Kate even rescheduled a meeting she was supposed to lead so that we could stay out longer watching an elusive leopard.
We were lucky enough to see ALL the big five while we were there! We also enjoyed watching a couple of lions hunting for impala & then a group of elephants kicking them out of their territory! We even saw a cheetah, which is not a very common sight in the area. Kate even scored us a great telescope so we could do some star gazing in the pristine night sky!
In all, I would highly recommend Lodolozi- it is pricey but worth it... the service is impeccable, they are TRULY a family lodge, and our expectations for an African safari were met & exceeded.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank JMTX70
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Dear jmmathew,

Many thanks for such a detailed and kind review about the stay that you and your family had with us at Londolozi Varty Camp. I will be sure to pass it on to all the people you mentioned, in particular Cinzia and Kate.

We are so pleased that you exposed your children to the African wilderness and from what we have gathered it seems like they had the most amazing time in the Cubs Den and out on game drives.

You are correct in mentioning that we are truly a family lodge as this forms a huge part of our ethos and is something which we wish every guest who visits us to feel and experience.

Many thanks again for visiting and for the review,
Much love,