“Dreaming about going back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Varty Camp
Vancouver
“Dreaming about going back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband and I and our two sons (aged 12 and 17) spent four nights in Londolozi Varty camp in January. I would have spent forty nights if given the opportunity!

Londolozi was our 3rd and final safari of our trip. We had also been to Kapama Karula and Kings Camp. All three were wonderful and each offered different strengths. But of the three, Londolozi was our absolute favorite.

What made Londolozi so special was the staff. Everyone was exceptional. We arrived to be greeted by Jeremy and Simone. Their enthusiasm was contagious and we felt welcome right away. Our waiter, Alex, was incredible. He anticipated our every need before we even knew we had one. He always looked so happy to see us and he had such a cheerful and pleasant demeanour. The Chef, Eric, was simply the sweetest man. Our 12 year old is quite a fussy eater and Eric would consult with us daily to decide on a menu that would make our son happy. Most meals he would deliver the dinner to us personally. I wish I could have taken them all home with me. I am missing them a lot as I type this. Here is an example of how the staff at Londolozi go above and beyond. I had mentioned to Simone that we take big trips every Christmas and that our younger son had lamented that he couldn't remember the last time he had had a Christmas tree. Our last day there, Simone surprised us with a "Bush" tree. Keep in mind that it was now January, and she had taken a large branch and decorated it with Christmas ornaments and underneath there were beautifully wrapped gifts for EACH of us. Another example is my older son had a problem with his camera. The replacement piece would have taken a day to get shipped to camp, which didn't leave us much time for usage. Richard, the Manager, and the staff at the Camera centre asked all staff if they have a similar piece that they could loan us. Incidentally, Richard also has fabulous taste in wine!

Speaking of staff, we also loved our Guide and Tracker. We had Don and Judas and they were so wonderful. We were very fortunate in that we had the jeep to ourselves except for our very last drive. We really got to know Don and Judas and I have such tremendous respect for their knowledge and pride in their jobs. It was a privilege to spend time with them. I also greatly respected the relationship between the two of them. It was obvious that they admired and respected one and another. Londolozi has a very comprehensive training program for their Guides and it showed. Don was extremely knowledgeable and I could have listened to him for hours. Judas has decades of experience and his calm and patience found us many delights. We were so fortunate at Londolozi as we saw everything plus more. The other advantage of Londolozi over the other camps we visited, was that you weren't lining up to see the animals. The Guides at camps radio each other when they find something of interest. At the other camps you would frequently only have 5 minutes to look at something before moving on to make space for the other vehicles. Obviously this can also work in your favour when another Guide radios about something interesting that they have found, but it is sad to have to leave before you are ready. This was not the case at Londolozi. While the Guides did radio one and another, I think we only saw other jeeps a couple of times the entire four day stay. And we never had to leave an animal encounter to make room for anyone. We could stay as long as we liked. Don and Judas were amazing at tracking animals and also at sharing the wealth of information that they had. If you are fortunate enough to get Don, ask him to make you his wonderful hot chocolate mixture with coffee and Amarula.

Another wonderful thing about Londolozi is the amount that they invest in their staff. Tours of the village are encouraged and it was really wonderful. Londolozi has education and enrichment programs for their staff. They also have a daycare/school for their young children. If I didn't have the responsibility of a home and family in Canada, I would be seriously tempted to apply for a job with them!!!

The accommodation at Londolozi was very nice. It was a bit smaller than the other camps that we stayed in, but very well appointed. We had tea and coffee stations and fresh cookies (more on that in a minute). There were large decks with splash pools on both of our cabins. We were fortunate that our cabin could be connected to our son's. The views were lovely and overlooked the river. Frequently we could see monkeys, lizards, baboons, elephants and other grazers. Speaking of baboons... We had such a funny occurrence. We had been warned to lock our doors at all times due to "naughty monkeys". One morning we were enjoying our breakfast leisurely and saw a massive troop of baboons crossing over the river bed. We enjoyed the sight and thought nothing more of it. Upon returning to our cabins, we heard voices. It turned out to be Londolozi staff. As we walked past a side window I could see our tea and coffee station completely scattered across the room. My first thought was that the kids had forgotten to close the door properly but it turned out that all doors had been locked but that the baboons had ripped the sliding door off!! They were very courteous baboons and only took food items, including our bag of chocolate. They didn't touch anything else. Londolozi was so apologetic. Apparently it was the first time it had ever occurred. We felt quite special to have been personally selected by the baboons. Needless to say, everything was restored to pristine condition within an hour. My son had a great deal of fun posting the pictures on Facebook.

The common areas of Londolozi are spectacular and look like something out of a Ralph Lauren photoshoot. I took many pictures to get ideas for home. The dining room is simply gorgeous. All the Londolozi camps are in a row (although not piled upon one and another) You are able to walk between them and take a look at their common areas. They were all stunning. There is a large pool at Varty but I didn't use it as we used our private pools on the deck. There is also a gym and outdoor yoga studio where they offer classes. I was in full vacation mode by that point and did nothing. The gift store is so, so beautiful!! I spent many hours in there. It is huge and filled with treasures. I wanted everything! There is also a small library with a couple of computers for guests' use. I didn't nap during the day as I wanted to soak it all in.

Finally, the food at Londolozi was the best of all the camps we visited. The breakfasts had wonderful buffets set up and then you could order anything hot that you wanted. The lunches were a simple and healthy buffet of mouthwatering salads and cold meats. Simply delicious. For the dinners we had two in the dining room and two in the Boma. The food was terrific in all cases. Everything is fresh and delicious. One night my husband noted there was fresh Scottish salmon on the menu. Being Scottish, he questioned this. Turns out it was fresh and freshly flown out from Europe. Those kind of details show and are in everything at Londolozi.

Londolozi is simply a wonderful place. I am getting teary eyed typing this. I want to go back so badly. If I had my way, I would spend every vacation there. You will love every minute of this magical place where you are treated like family. Hopefully I can get back there in a year or two!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank PursegirlVancouver
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Hi PursegirlVancouver,

Wow, what a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, it is always wonderful to hear about your time spent at Londolozi! It was so splendid to have you with us and we look forward to a second visit in the not too far away future. I will be sure to send you kind words onto Simone, Jeremy, Don, Judas, Alex, Eric and all the staff at Varty Camp.

Your Londolozi family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have just spent three days at Londolozi Varty Camp as part of our 30th wedding anniversay tour and were very impressed by both the staff and the whole camp experience. This was our first safari and we were not disappointed.

We arrived in the afternoon, so were able to go on the late afternoon game drive. We were joined each day with another British couple and a couple of American newly weds. Our guide, Alfie, was extremely knowledgable and we were thrilled to come across four of the big five on our first outing into the bush. Over the next two days we attended both the early morning and late afternoon drives and were amazed at how close we could get to the animals, even managing to be a couple of feet away from a leopard eating its prey. On one evening we sat for about an hour on the edge of a pride of lions, watching the cubs playing around the lionness and the huge male. On another occasion, we were chased by a huge bull elephant who didn't seem to like our company - very exciting experience! Needless to say, we were in good hands with Alfie at the wheel and came to no harm.

Although you have to get up at 05:00 for the morning drives, it is well worth it and you can rest during the day by your private plunge pool or experience fishing or a bush walk.
The camp has an excellent photographic centre and they are very helpful in helping to get the most out of the shots you have taken. We had a couple blown up and printed to take back and frame.

The Varty cottages are very well equipped and even include a huge fridge of soft drinks, wine and champagne, tea, freshly ground coffee and bisucuits, all included in the cost of your stay. The bathrooms are huge and come with every essential should you have left anything behind. The beds were extremely comfortable and the laundry was also inclusive, a fact which I don't think is mentioned on the website.

The food and wine was excellent and no-one seems to mind if you are late back from a drive or have no time to change for dinner in the evening. On one evening, a BBQ dinner was arranged in one of the outside areas and we were entertained by the 'Londolozi Choir' consisting of some of the female employees singing traditional African songs. On another evening, we were nearly finishing our drive, when our guide suddenly change course and we found ourselves at a cocktail party in the middle of the bush!

We had a wonderful time at Londolozi and would thoroughly recommend them for a fantastic safari experience.

We would like to thank Simone and Jeremy for their wonderful hospitality in Varty and of course, Alfie and Euce our guides who went the whole way to make sure we saw everything we wanted to see and were subsequently always the first out on the drives and the last ones in.

We hope to revisit in the future.

Room Tip: All the Varty rooms seem very quiet and not overlooked, so I don't think it would matter which o...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Veronica F
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Veronica F,

A first safari can always be a daunting experience when booking and we are ecstatic to hear that Londolozi was a good first experience. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! I will be sure to send your words of thanks onto SImone, Jeremy, Alfie, Bennet and all at Varty Camp.
We look forward to having you with us again!

Your Londolozi family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful trip to Londolozi Varty camp late November 2013. It surpassed all expectations. Our time was limited to 2 nights, or 4 game drives. Would that be enough? Of course we would have loved to stay longer, but the game viewing was so good it was enough to fully satisfy an amateur photographer and all expectations! Our driver and trekker worked tirelessly to assure we saw as much as possible and highlights included a rhino in labour, 3 different lion prides, lions mating, giraffe, zebra, a herd of 200+ water buffalo taking mud baths and much more. The camp itself is beautiful and designed for complete relaxation and togetherness. As a couple, we were treated to 3 meals each day at table for 2 on the beautiful deck, and luxuriated in hour long massages on our private deck. The staff were all wonderful - working hard to make sure we were happy, but they did it so happily and were always friendly and welcoming. Would go back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny O
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Jenny O,

I speak on behalf of the Varty camp team in saying that we look so forward to your return visit! Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review and we are so glad to hear that you enjoyed you stay so much! I will be sure to send your thanks onto the entire Varty camp team!

Your Londolozi family!
Bradenton fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

My third time to Londolozi and my second stay at Varty. I go to Africa for the animals but each time I return I make new unforgettable friends at this camp. Expectations are always high and somehow i leave with better memories and sightings than the time before.
I am an amateur photographer and was pleased to find not only do they have experienced photographers as guides but they actually have a creative photo lab where you can downed your photos and take them home on canvas if you can't wait. They even helped troubleshoot and adjusted my focus on my new nikon. They do rent cameras and lenses btw.
OK now for the animals and the sightings. Leopard , cheetah and lions- Male lions, female lions and cubs. My tracker Trevor and my ranger Bennett were amazing. Big cats every drive.
My review would not be complete without mentioning specifically what made the hospitality so 5 star. Simone and Graeme my camp mangers at Varty! Although they were both new to this camp they truly knew how to make me feel like family. I felt as if i was visiting family and I was a guest in their home.

Room Tip: Loved room number 4 right next to the beautiful Varty deck
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank beanie2664
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hi Beanie 2664,

We are so glad that you made use of our newest offer, the camera rental and Creative Hub, it has been a long process to put this all in place and the feedback is fantastic. We look so forward to welcoming you back soon and viewing more of your great pictures.

Much love,
Your Londolozi family.
Suffield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I visited Londolozi in July 2013 and can't begin to describe its magic. I travelled there alone but never felt lonely. The place itself feels like home and the people who live and work there have a warmth and grace about them that is unique in my travel experiences. I had the great fortune to be paired with a lovely British family on our game drives and we bonded quickly in mutual awe of the magnificence of the landscape and animals. We saw so much and yet I feel that I could go back tomorrow and see it again with fresh eyes. The accomodations are gorgeous in Varty Camp, the food was delicious, and excursions out to the village and the community were informative and meaningful. I will never forget my time here and can only hope I can return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Catherine517
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Catherine517,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on Londolozi Varty Camp. It is great to hear that you became part of the Londolozi family in such a sort space of time!

We look forward to your next visit!

sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I stayed at Londolozi Varty in September 2013. Many of the reviews have already described the incredible rooms, the dedicated and welcoming staff, and the magnificent surrounds. Not to mention the amazing animals.

There is so much to say about Londolozi - it will surpass all your expectations and dreams. But after all the other excellent reviews, the only thing I can add is - just go!

Thanks to Londolozi for one of the best (if not THE best) holiday I have ever had. See you next year!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nell-australia-7
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Nell-Australia-7,

We are so glad to hear the you 'just went' to Londolozi and your stay was so enjoyable! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Just came back from our stay. What a fabulous place! The staff were extra friendly, the food excellent, the quality of the interior design of all the lodges top notch, not to mention the game drives which exceeded all my expectations. Within 1 day we had seen everything we came to Africa to see. Early the first morning we came upon a leopard and her baby cub romping and preening and playing just under a tree with their kill. What a thrill. Mike, our guide, was fabulous and went the "extra mile" to find the animals for us to view. The suite was extremely inviting and the bathroom most generous with both an indoor and outdoor shower and plunge pool. I certainly look forward to visiting again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hi LisaRose22,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on Londolozi Varty Camp. Your pictures look fantastic, thank you for sharing! We look forward to having you with us again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#12 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve

Been to Londolozi Varty Camp? Share your experiences!