“20 years on and just as wonderful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Founders Camp
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I last visited Londolozi in 1994 and having just spent four days at Founders Camp, I can not understand what took me so long to return! It was a very special time and everyone made us feel so welcome. As Kiwis mixing with South Africans, naturally there was a lot of talk about the 2015 Rugby World Cup ... but teasing aside, we felt very at home with our fellow southern hemisphere friends. Our heartfelt thanks to Tammy and Garret who looked after us at home base, and to Sandros and Axon, who have to be the best rangers and trackers on the planet! We were first to spot the lion cubs one evening and first to sight their mother and father reunited the following day. We saw all the game, including the famous Leopards of Londolozi which the Varty family have championed for generations. The philosophy of Londolozi is based on conservation and respect for not only the animals, but for everyone working there. As John Varty said to me in 1994 "walk lightly on this earth". Very sage advice as we return to our urban jungle. As for the chalet, it was beautifully appointed with our own plunge pool overlooking the Sabi Sands river and completely private. We are already planning our next trip in September so looking forward to that very much.

Room Tip: Remember to take warm clothes for the morning and evening game drives
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jen P
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Founders Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Jen P,

It is always so special to hear of the connection that happens between staff and guests, even with the tension of a rugby world cup to get in the way ;)

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and we look so forward to welcoming you back to Londolozi in the near future.

I will be sure to send your kind words onto Tammy, Garrett, Sandros, Exon and the entire Founders camp team that made your stay so enjoyable.

Much love,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Future holiday plans are now simple....we book around our visit to Founders camp. This was our second trip to Founders, and we have just booked our third trip to Founders. Incredibly the atmosphere at this camp was even better than the exceptional experience we enjoyed on our first trip. The management team is exceptional (Cry and Tammy thank you) and we loved our ranger/tracker team: Ntsako and Bennet (big thanks from all of us...our 10 year old Mats will be disappointed if you guys don't look after us when we return in October!).

Sorry for those we didn't mention by name ......the whole team at Founders is very special.....thanks again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nickandlucy
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Founders Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear NickandLucy,

It is so wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your second visit and that you will be returning!

We look forward to welcoming you back and will be sure to send your kind words onto Tammy, Cry, Nstako, Bennet and the entire Founders camp team

Reviewed 5 April 2014

As with many other posters here, I am not going to try to hit all of the superlatives that apply as the list is simply endless. The lodge, the staff, the rangers/guides, the accomodation, the service, and of course, the wildlife experience, are all top notch. I could not find fault with my stay.

This was my second time at Londolozi - I had stayed at Tree Camp about four years earlier on my first South African safari holiday and have been hooked since. I've been back each year to the Sabi Sands and have stayed at several other lodges in the Reserve - all were amazing in their own right - but none as special as Londolozi. The last two times to South Africa, Londolozi was fully booked in all camps so I chose other accommodation - and although my experiences were great - they just never measured up. After my stay this past October, I quickly went to work to book my next holiday and this time planned my travel around availability at Londolozi. Will be back to Varty Camp in mid August 2014!

The staff is nothing short of world class! They truly understand how deliver an amazing guest experience. Each and every person has a knack for making everyone feel special - and each day is an extraordinary experience. On this last trip, the Camp Manager arranged for a my friend and I to have a special lunch in the tree house on the river bed. They drove us out to the tree house, complete with lunch and a full bar spread, comfy chairs, binoculars, etc. - It was just amazing. . One day on our evening game ride, instead of the standard sundowner which are in-and-of-themselves are special, Duncan the Camp Manager had arranged for a special wine tasting for us in the bush. As an extra special treat, he arrange for us to have a wine tasting in the bush - complete with tree lighting, perfect nibbles and of course some very special South African wines. He took tome out of his day to participate as well.

I literally could go on and on. I didn't even mention the animals, but each and every game ride is jammed packed with interest. The ranger we had, Melvin, was exceptionally talented and contributed immensely to our holiday. The place is simply amazing and everyone should be lucky enough to visit and experience it.

Looking forward to August!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. All the individual chalets are somewhat unique due to the na...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ThomMSeattle

Dear ThomMSeattle,

Thank you for the wonderful write up about Londolozi Founders Camp. We look forward to having you with us again in August. I will be sure to send your kind words onto Duncan, Melvin and the entire Londolozi team.

Much love,

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Londolozi was wonderful. The staff(Garrett, Tammie, Phil, Mendrew, Alfred, Equalizer) were top notch!! Our chalet was one of the best we have ever stayed in. We saw The Big Five over and over again. We saw lions eating a zebra kill among other great sights! We were so sad to leave. Hope to get back there one day!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Founders Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Angie H,

Thank you for sending through such a wonderful review! It sounds as though the sightings were amazing and a highlight of your trip! I will be sure to send your kind words onto the Founders camp team and all at Londolozi who made your stay so marvellous.

We look forward to a return visit,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Tammy Surtees and her co-camp managers, Cry and Phillip, quite simply, rock. It was an absolute delight to spend 5 nights at Founders. The team is warm, wonderful and nothing was too much trouble, huge credit to them. The accommodation was great, spacious, elegant, comfortable (even though the plunge pool recliners would be more inviting with a mattress) and every need was catered to. We love Founders and have had the delight of staying in Pioneer, Granite, and Tree before but this camp will be our first choice when we return.There is a fun and happy vibe and the breakfasts are fabulous, the staff sunny and welcoming, our butler Lovey very good and the game viewing extraordinary. We lucked out with Don and Judas who were really a lovely ranger/tracker team. Big thank you for the spoils, really appreciated.This was a great visit, thank you.

Room Tip: River side adds a rather delicious aspect...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Sal,

It was so special having you both with us again. Thank you for the wonderful review and taking the time to thank all the staff that made your stay so enjoyable. I will be sure to send your praises onto Tammy, Cry, Phil, Lovey, Don and Judas.

We look so forward to having you back at Founders camp in the future.

Much Love always,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

To reiterate what most other comments on here say- this really is the best, most amazing vacation I've ever been on. I look at my photos and feel homesick for a place I only stayed at for three nights. We spent these three days with the same ranger, Andrea, who had this contagious enthusiasm that made our trip really special. We were very well taken care of by everyone on the Founders Camp staff (Cry, Tammy, Garrett, Lovey, and everyone else) and stayed in a wonderful chalet. The food was really delicious and we ended up having dinner in a different location each night- once on the dining deck, once in the boma, and one absolutely incredible last dinner in a clearing in the bush. I'm not sure how often they do those bush dinners, but it was just lovely. The camp was fully booked each night and we liked the size of Founders camp- with 10 cabins, there were about 18 other people to meet and chat with. We ended up choosing Founders camp based on the price, which was on the 'lower end' of the Londolozi spectrum- I think it was worth it to spend as many day here as possible. Hope to come back again and we've recommended it to just about everyone we know!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, Manager at Londolozi Founders Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Ashley M,

We are ecstatic to hear that you were happy with your decision to join us at Londolozi Founders camp. We will be sure to send your thanks and kind words onto Andrea, Cry, Tammy, Garret and all at Founders that made your stay so enjoyable.

We do look forward to your return visit and until then look forward to meeting friends and family!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We travel all over the world and this lodge and reserve is the best. The wildlife is incredible and the lodging and staff are beyond expectations. They treat their employees like family. Food is fresh and of high quality. Loved every minute of it and you felt very welcomed. Will be visiting again in 2015!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Founders Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear TanyaJCox,

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to your return in 2015.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#13 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
#14 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Londolozi Founders Camp? Share your experiences!