MalaMala Sable Camp
SUN1 Pretoria(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$47
Hotels.com
Very Good 4/5
Fortis Hotel Capital(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$109
Very Good 4/5
Morning Star Express Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$77
  • Restaurant
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsmala malacape buffaloafrican adventurefour daysprivate game reservesand riverlion's denliving roomgame drivesamazing wildlifesouth africaafternoon driveswimming poolhighlight of our tripoutdoor showerstayed for nightswild dogs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just returned from a 2.5 week trip to Africa. The highlight of our four lodge stays was Malamala. The broad range of wildlife, plants and trees and the variety of terrain was noteworthy. In addition, the well-appointed lodge suites, great food and extremely knowledgable rangers added to our enjoyment of Africa. In particular, we found Grant, our ranger for three days, added to our Africa experience. His range of knowledge was not surpassed during our visit. We particularly enjoyed opportunities to take short hikes during our game drives. Visiting a private game reserve provided up-close game viewing and no more than three of vehicles at any Malamala game viewing stop. These benefits were well worth a Malamala stay.

Room Tip: We stayed at Sable Camp and enjoyed the smaller number of guests at Sable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VisitorBob
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This place by far is on the top five places to stay in South Africa. My husband and I both joked about going home and loading up a few things and coming back to our home (room #16) because we loved this place so much! Our guide Brenden, was on top of everything. He was fantastic in not only finding the game for us but also his knowledge compassion in making sure we were comfortable both on the game drive and off. I highly recommend this place for a truly marvelous safari experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #16 with a beautiful view of the Sabi river! The room was one of the best I've ever stayed in while on Safari!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Debbie J
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I find it difficult to put into words the experience of Mala Mala. From the time I was 10 years old I have wanted to see the wildlife in Africa. It took 60+ years, but now that I have been here I have experienced seeing the wildlife in a way I could not have imagined.

We were here for 3 days and had fabulous food for every meal, good drinks at the bar, several swims in the pool (my wife spotted a lion in the distance as we were swimming one afternoon) and an overall wonderful time with an absolutely luxurious room.

As we were leaving from the Johannesburg airport I kept hearing people say "we saw 3 of the big 5" or "we saw 4 of the big 5". None of them had been to Mala Mala. We had seen all five of the big five with 18 hours of arriving at Mala Mala. We saw a leopard with kittens, we saw lions eating Impala, we saw lions mating. Lost count of the number of elephants and buffalo. Saw more than a dozen rhino. Saw hippos, giraffe, zebras, and many other animals and some of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen.

It may seem expensive when you look at the price tag, but I feel as though I got every pennies worth for my stay here at Mala Mala. An experience I will never forget.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank AhabofLA
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my second visit to MalaMala, and I hope I can visit again a few years from now. This is truly a remarkable place. The accommodations and meals are out of this world, but what sets MalaMala apart is the game viewing and the hospitality. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. You just feel very welcome and pampered from the damp cloths to wipe the dust off that you are provided with after the morning game drives to the hot water bottles and blankets you are given to ward off the chill both early in the morning and after dark. The rangers are very knowledgeable and work well together sharing information about the latest sightings on the property. Highlights are too many to list thanks to our ranger Dave who made sure we not only saw the big 5 (multiple times) but also an enormous number of other species as well. Two sights I will never forget are 1) 7 giraffes sleeping in a field near the road as we came in from the evening game drive, and a family of klipspringer (small antelope that live on rock outcroppings) scrambling up and down the steep rock faces. Others have described the rooms so I wont spend much time other than to tell you that you will be surprised how luxurious they are. Really though we were so busy with game drives and visiting with other guests and watching game (primarily elephants) from out porch that we had little time to lounge in the room. The two separate baths were appreciated every morning since it meant we could sleep in a few extra minutes and still make it to breakfast on time. We spent four nights and wish we could have spent more. While I haven't been to MalaMala in summer, I highly recommend the winter months, but be aware that you will need warm clothes.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tom s
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We used Journeys of Distinction to book our trip to Africa and I’m sure glad they included Mala Mala in our itinerary. This is a first class reserve! We stayed in the Sable Camp in Suites 16 and 17 and the Mala Mala staff treated us like royalty.

The views of the Sabi Sands River from our suite and balcony were breath-taking. Some of the extras were two full bathrooms with all amenities, fresh fruit every day, a walk in closet and safe drinking water throughout the camp. It was also so peaceful.

Jonathan was our safari guide. He was excellent and very knowledgeable. You can tell he is passionate about his work. We only had two nights in the camp so he worked hard to make sure we saw as much wildlife as we could. And he did a great job at that! The highlights were seeing the white rhino just when it got dark, watching the mother leopard and her cubs (especially the female cub playing in the tree), sitting in our vehicle in the middle of a herd of cape buffalo, and rapidly tracking the endangered African wild dog (aka cape hunting dog) as it ran to catch up with a pack of at least 12 other dogs! So cool.

I can’t say enough about Trevor (our dedicated bartender) and all of the staff who served us our meals. The food was superb! We also enjoyed the ladies singing for us after dinner. Very special. They all worked so hard (with smiles on their faces) to make our trip so pleasurable.

Our only regret was that we only stayed at Mala Mala for two nights. If you go, make sure you stay for at least three nights.

We went at the end of May. The weather was perfect. There were absolutely no mosquitoes. Sunny, warm days. Cool mornings and evenings. Jonathan made sure we had warm blankets and even hot water bottles on our wildlife viewing drives. That was a nice extra. If you go during this time, make sure you bring something warm to cover your face and hands when on the drives.

We highly recommend Mala Mala. You will treasure the trip forever.

Room Tip: Suites 16 and 17 in the Sable Camp have incredible views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family