We came with my parents in their 70's and my kids ages 9 and 12 and we loved the experience. Our guide, James was an encyclopedia of information. He worked his tail off night and day for the lodge and showing us an excellent time. The game viewing was spectacular. We even saw a herd of elephants walk by when we were relaxing by the pool! We had a room that fit the four of us and my parents had their own room. The food was great and their was a little (not fabulous) gym that you could use to work off the calories. The lodge is nice for relaxing and the bar is very old school and comfy. The only thing I would say is that the bathrooms in the rooms could use updating. I also felt like the lodge's approach to everything especially meals, bar time, etc. was very old school. Some people may like this but it felt a bit formal for us. One thing to note is the Jr Ranger program which seemed non existent and wasn't even mentioned to us even though we had two kids. Then when we left we got a "gift" with a book for the boys to log all their sightings. This is something you bring on the game drive with you but we didn't get it until we left. Very strange and our boys would have loved to have it on the drive to note all their sightings. I felt like this Jr. Ranger program is on the website but not put into practice but it would be great if they did. My kids still had a great time.
Overall it was an excellent place to visit and the game is second to none.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- MalaMala Game Reserve is the Safari Industry's blueprint to the luxury photographic safari. In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator. MalaMala Game Reserve is the largest private Big Five game reserve in South Africa. Comprising 13 300 ha (33 000 acres), MalaMala shares a 19 km (12 mile) unfenced border with the world-renowned Kruger National Park, and lies strategically sandwiched between the National Park and the Sabi Sand Reserve. For over four decades, Michael Rattray has remained focused on his objective to preserve and protect the land over which he is custodian. Allowing nature to move to its innate rhythm, guests experience today what the forefathers of the African Safari would have experienced at the turn of the century. This philosophy has paid off, as experienced by a veritable collection of photojournalists and film-makers who have made MalaMala their destination of choice to capture footage of wildlife viewing that would rival any Hollywood production for thrilling and breathtaking animal encounters. MalaMala's Camps (MalaMala Main Camp, Sable Camp and Rattray's on MalaMala) are the embodiment of an authentic safari experience pioneered at a time when the safari was simple - unassuming camps, vast sweeping plains, the African sky and the bush in all its splendour. Wellness was the feeling after a long day in the wild. Cigars were shared without pomp and ceremony. Guests to MalaMala will still spend hours beneath an inky sky in the traditional boma exchanging stories from the wild - a sumptuous meal, good company and relaxed faces warmed by the crackling fire, accompanied by the nocturnal symphony of sound. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your MalaMala Main Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mala Mala Main Camp Hotel Mala Mala Private Game Reserve
- MalaMala Main Camp Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa