“2nd stay at Tremisana” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tremisana Game Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Balule Nature Reserve
Tremisana Game Lodge
Ghent, Belgium
“2nd stay at Tremisana”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was my 2nd stay at Tremisana since 2012 and again it was an amazing time. After 7 hours drive from Johannesburg I arrived at Tremisana and was greeted warmly by Rai. After a quick drop off of my luggage I went on my first game drive. After a good drive we had our dinner at the Boma for a bush BBQ. Next day there was the bush walk but because of a knee surgery Rai changed my program without any problem so I could skip the walk. Each night I got my program for the next day and easily things could be changed and were done by Rai with a smile. I had some amazing good drives with Texan , Luke , Elvis. We had some incredible adventures of broken tires and getting stuck in the sand but this part of the adventure. Being a female travelling alone I never had a feeling of insecurity. When I had to leave to my next stop it felt like I was leaving my family behind. This is feeling you get after a stay at Tremisana is that you have become a part of the Viva Safaris. Thanks to Rai for her energy each day and help with all changes , to Luke, Texan and Elvis for the amazing drives , to Delina , Caroline and the kitchen staff for the great meals each night. I hope I can return again to Tremisana so I can visit my Viva family again. I left South Africa with a lot of amazing memories and a piece of my heart left there.

Room Tip: I had room 6 which has a double bed and is close to the bar area, pool and boma.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I pulled up to Tremisana Lodge, on the edge of Kruger Park, at dusk. A strapping young man greets us with a movie-star smile and glinting hazel eyes. We learn this DiCaprio look-alike, named Chris, will be our safari guide for the next two days. Needless to say, we are not disappointed. We begin the night drive with a buffalo sighting (one of the Big Five already down). The sun sets and dark descends rapidly. Our guide encourages us to remain silent, for he sees with his ears. His signs say an elephant is near. But an hour passes with no trace. Then, from nowhere appears an elusive leopard, spotted in the stealth of the night with Chris’s spotlight. He assures us of our rare fortune, as he sees this cat at most once per month. Two down and we are amply content. But most impressive is the thumb-sized chameleon Chris finds twenty feet up a tree, in the pitch black of night. Even our lesbian companions are now eating out of the palm of this gorgeous jungle boy’s palm. Chris was born in the bush. His mother is the master trainer to many Kruger guides. His passion for this land is palpable. At last, we sight the massive pachyderm, just feet from our jeep. Elephant makes three, and I snap a shot with my flash camera. But the photo I’ll most treasure is the one I snuck of our guide, while pretending to capture our bush brae (BBQ). Every woman on the tour returns to the lodge embarrassingly giddy with infatuation. Albeit half my age, Chris is the creature I will remember most from this safari.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 140laurab64
VivaSafaris, General Manager at Tremisana Game Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hi Laura
I am very pleased to see that you had such a great time - and I am pleased that you found Christopher so wonderful - he is an excellent guide.
Thanks for taking the time to write a review - both I and the staff ( especially Chris ) appreciate your effort.
Kind regards
Piero
General Manager, Viva safaris
Irving, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We are a group of nine that just returned from a volunteer safari that was beyond our wildest immagination. The lodging was rustic (no heat, air only at Tremisana) but comfortable. The food was simple but adequate (we all felt that the food at Marc's Treehouse was better than that at Tremisana) and the staff at both lodges were helpeful. Our group especially enjoyed Margaret, Pretty and the staff at Marc's. After four days the girls shed tears as we left. All of our guides were good. Bongani, our main guide was outstanding! While the animals that we saw were amazing, the experience of working with the children an Funjwa(sp) school and at the Ekurhuleni Center for Orphans and Vulnerable Children left us all humbled and so very thankful for having this experience. Thanks VIVA!!

John Hosea

Room Tip: don't go expecting luxury, but rather embrace the experience.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John H
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had an excellent stay at the Tremisana Game Lodge between the 5th and 7th June 2014. Alice runs the Lodge on a day to day basis with quiet efficiency, whilst the wardens, Luke, Chris, Texan and Wes ensured we had a wonderful experience and saw the BIG 5, even a Leopard sitting in a tree with its evening dinner, an Impala.The accommodation is very clean and simple, but has everything you will need. The food is very good, but watch out for the monkeys at breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pesky2014
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

The Tremisana is located conveniently on a bush reserve. It is a small facility with about 15 units which surround courtyard with a pool. The vervet monkeys can be a problem however., do not leave your door open. It is the first property that I have ever stayed at that provides insect repellent. It is part of the Viva Safari program.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ofmyheart
Durban, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have recently returned from a "6 day Kruger safari" based at Tremisana Lodge. Unfortunately there were many things about the trip that were disappointing - none of which were the fault of the Lodge 'per se' - so much as its position.
Firstly, this lodge caters to those wanting an African Bush experience, so it is unfortunate that its proximity to the road means that one can hear the drone of traffic all the time - particularly at night when noise travels more.
Secondly, there is only one place at the lodge where one can sit and just watch for passing animals or listen to the chirping and rustling that makes the bush so special, and in this space sits the biggest and most ancient fridge I have ever seen - which hums loudly and incessantly, making it impossible to sit in the "lapa" without going insane! What makes it worse is that there is absolutely no reason at all for this fridge to be there - it should be in the kitchen.
Thirdly, the distance of the lodge from the Kruger Park gates (it took approximately 1 hour 45 mins to travel between lodge and park, each way) meant that one arrived at the park much too late for the optimum animal spotting time. I have never before been on safari (and I have been on many) where one goes on game drives between 10am and 3pm - but here we spent all day driving about, meaning that by the time we returned to the lodge we had spent 11 hours sitting on an uncomfortable vehicle and were pretty exhausted.

All this is a shame because the lodge staff are charming and the guides very good. The traffic noise can't be changed, but the other things could be improved by giving some thought to alternatives and implementing them.

At the conclusion of my trip I felt that, whilst there had been some nice experiences, the whole thing had been spoiled by the above issues and it certainly wasn't worth the money I paid for it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Hilary A
Kays
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I travelled witb.my girlfriend to.this beautiful lodge. Ig was the best trip ever and a great way to kick off our tour of Africa. The day we arrived at.the.lodge it was very.warm and Rai.welcomed.us and gave us an introductory to.our safari. Always smiling Rai!!. We.went on the night drive and we
experienced the most beautiful sunset ever. The next.day was a.full day in the park. Awesome experience . I saw so many elephants that my heart almost stopped with.excitement. Greatest experience. We r definately coming bback after the wedding for our honeymoon. Thanks tothe guides, Mama
Alice and lil Rai. You guys run an awesome machine

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kaysoy
Hi Kaysoy

Thanks for a wonderful review.
We are very pleased to know that you and your girlfriend had such a great time.
Alice and Rai are really something - I am glad that you enjoyed their friendly manner and smiling faces !
We look forward to welcoming you for your honeymoon !
Thanks again.
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
#1 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Camp
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Cam...
#2 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,018 reviews
Masodini Private Game Lodge
Masodini Private Game Lodge
#1 of 1 in Balule Nature Reserve
Pondoro Game Lodge
Pondoro Game Lodge
#3 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve

Been to Tremisana Game Lodge? Share your experiences!